Help find a lost hammer - a tough one

MikeSD

I know someone who loaned his, nearly $300 framing hammer to a friend. His friend was excavating his back yard and apparently dropped the hammer and buried it in the process.

It could be anywhere from at the surface to up to 2-3 feet down.

He asked if I could help locate it. I have an Equinox 800 that I haven't used much yet. And the hammer material is a problem.

The handle is titanium so that's not going to be very detectable. The head is 15oz carbon steel head.

These are the only materials I'd be interested in.

What are the recommendations for setting up the detector (freq., sensitivity, etc) to optimize finding this hammer?

I know someone who loaned his, nearly $300 framing hammer to a friend. His friend was excavating his back yard and apparently dropped the hammer and buried it in the process.

It could be anywhere from at the surface to up to 2-3 feet down.

He asked if I could help locate it. I have an Equinox 800 that I haven't used much yet. And the hammer material is a problem.

The handle is titanium so that's not going to be very detectable. The head is 15oz carbon steel head.

These are the only materials I'd be interested in.

What are the recommendations for setting up the detector (freq., sensitivity, etc) to optimize finding this hammer?

You could hunt like you are coin hunting. I recommend park 2 horseshoe off. And hope the hammer wraps. Giving tone. And then. Pinpoint to check for signal strength.

Or you could run horseshoe button on. If area doesn’t have much iron be on lookout for overly strong signals.

If the hammer is over 2 ft down. Don’t think Nox will hit.
Might not even hit if 2 ft down.

Good luck.
The handle may be detectable, depending on hammer orientation.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261624

I think you have to go over to Europed, preferably England to find the lost hammereds, none of those over here in the Americas :laughing:

I found a hammer once, so it can be done! 18EB3AA5-196E-4CC3-9C05-CC15F1E552AA.jpeg

You could hunt like you are coin hunting. I recommend park 2 horseshoe off. And hope the hammer wraps. Giving tone. And then. Pinpoint to check for signal strength.

Or you could run horseshoe button on. If area doesn’t have much iron be on lookout for overly strong signals.

If the hammer is over 2 ft down. Don’t think Nox will hit.
Might not even hit if 2 ft down.

Good luck.
The handle may be detectable, depending on hammer orientation.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=261624

Why would you recommend Park 2? Was that a typo? Its more oriented for fine jewelry and the like. If its loose dirt, I would say Field 1, or maybe even Neil Jones's Beach to Land if theres lots of iron present.

Why would you recommend Park 2? Was that a typo? Its more oriented for fine jewelry and the like. If its loose dirt, I would say Field 1, or maybe even Neil Jones's Beach to Land if theres lots of iron present.

On hammers. Park 2 will give lower tone vs using park 1 (all settings the same other than whatever is different in detect mode.

Hammer may sound like a big bottle cap. Read around 13.
Single freq 5 kHz could be used too. Looking for super high meter reading signals. Assuming little to no cans in area hammer lost.

Back
Top Bottom