honey hole revisted

Steve

Forum Supporter
Well lets just say the honey hole isn't what it used to be. Took a long train ride to get to this spot. 1st day walked out to the beach and it was flat as a pancake. Nothing. No rocks, no low spot. Nothing. Just aimlessly walking around. Right away I noticed that the older coins were well over 12" done. Minimum. Laying in the top 6" was piece after piece of small iron and steel. Loud enough to blow your eardrums out. Had to pick between signals trying to hear whispers. I suspect it was seeded.
Managed a pt990 and a lightweight 18k tri-color that could stay in the upper level sand. 2nd day there was a massive hump sitting at the low tide area. Still chunks of !!!! laying around but that's it.
Shrimp photo is what people eat over here. The shells are tough as nails and hard to peel.

Notice the TDI water photo. This was from wetsand hunting only. All 4 corners had large amounts of moisture build up.
Still trying to get used to the 12" coil. Hairpins or even coins laying on edge can be a problem if the coil hits it just right. Sounds in the middle but its laying 3" down on the side of the hole. :( But she sure is deep.

Whites should have studied up on what an air conditioning mechanic sprays inside a copper tube to keep moisture out. Would have saved themselves a lot of trouble.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191113-133509_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133509_Gallery.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 742
  • Screenshot_20191113-133520_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133520_Gallery.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 771
  • Screenshot_20191113-133532_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133532_Gallery.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 769
  • Screenshot_20191113-133547_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133547_Gallery.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 782
  • Screenshot_20191113-133503_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133503_Gallery.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 749
  • Screenshot_20191113-133617_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191113-133617_Gallery.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 770
Nice finds! Gotta love those honey holes [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those shrimp are mantis shrimp. I've caught them in Louisiana but never tried to eat them.

As for the layer of metal, I have a beach here that is like that always. Those little scraps are a pain. I don't know where it comes from but they are a natural occurrence.

Cliff

:dingding: Nice scores on those Steve! You have disappointed me a bit however on the BeachHunter. With our humidity and heat down here I am sure I'll get that moisture inside as well if I get one. :(

Those shrimp are mantis shrimp. I've caught them in Louisiana but never tried to eat them.

As for the layer of metal, I have a beach here that is like that always. Those little scraps are a pain. I don't know where it comes from but they are a natural occurrence.

Cliff

There not mantis but similar . I live in Asia. The steel and iron were not little flakes. I'm pretty sure they were dumped on the main swimming spots.

:dingding: Nice scores on those Steve! You have disappointed me a bit however on the BeachHunter. With our humidity and heat down here I am sure I'll get that moisture inside as well if I get one. :(

I left the battery compartment open for a few hours after and it went away. Next day I added the moisture absorbers and it made a difference.. but the ambient temperature was a little different and windier

There not mantis but similar . I live in Asia. The steel and iron were not little flakes. I'm pretty sure they were dumped on the main swimming spots.
These are about the size of a fingernail and they litter the whole beach. Of course this areas has seen quite a few hurricanes that destroyed a bunch of homes so maybe that's where some of it came from.

Those shrimp are definitely some species of mantis. There are many different types and they range a large part of the world including Asia. If you can post the local name I'd be interested to see what exactly they are.

Cliff

Nice finds steve. I believe it's some kind of design flaw with the TDI. Mostly this will happen with a "larger" battery pack , which poses problem within itself. There is just heat build up inside. I have already fried one of these units. It doesn't seem to matter where you are , but higher humidity climates it's even worse. The silica gel packs help. But you still have to wipe it down. Seems like this design somehow needs to breathe which defeats the waterproof purpose.

Well lets just say the honey hole isn't what it used to be.
Notice the TDI water photo. This was from wetsand hunting only. All 4 corners had large amounts of moisture build up.
'eh, I know you too well to think your sources are dried up. A month from now you'll post a fistfull of 24k goodies :cool3:

Seems like this design somehow needs to breathe which defeats the waterproof purpose.
Had the same thought. Wonder how long it will be till detectors get liquid cooling processors like on gaming PCs?

Well lets just say the honey hole isn't what it used to be. Took a long train ride to get to this spot. 1st day walked out to the beach and it was flat as a pancake. Nothing. No rocks, no low spot. Nothing. Just aimlessly walking around. Right away I noticed that the older coins were well over 12" done. Minimum. Laying in the top 6" was piece after piece of small iron and steel. Loud enough to blow your eardrums out. Had to pick between signals trying to hear whispers. I suspect it was seeded.
Managed a pt990 and a lightweight 18k tri-color that could stay in the upper level sand. 2nd day there was a massive hump sitting at the low tide area. Still chunks of !!!! laying around but that's it.
Shrimp photo is what people eat over here. The shells are tough as nails and hard to peel.

Still trying to get used to the 12" coil. Hairpins or even coins laying on edge can be a problem if the coil hits it just right. Sounds in the middle but its laying 3" down on the side of the hole. :( But she sure is deep.

Whites should have studied up on what an air conditioning mechanic sprays inside a copper tube to keep moisture out. Would have saved themselves a lot of trouble.

Steve.. are you using the extra voltage battery pack others are making? A friend of mine just had to return the TDI back to Whites because of condensation build up from the extra heat generated by the batteries..

All someone has to do is add more of those silica packs

Good job on the finds..

Steve.. are you using the extra voltage battery pack others are making? A friend of mine just had to return the TDI back to Whites because of condensation build up from the extra heat generated by the batteries..

Good job on the finds..

Take a look at some videos "HB CZ" . I won't say who it is ! Haha... mainly hunting Sunset Beach...which is a stones throw from Seal Beach. There is a video on a burnt out TDI from condensation, heat , and extra voltage battery pack ! Enjoy...

Take a look at some videos "HB CZ" . I won't say who it is ! Haha... mainly hunting Sunset Beach...which is a stones throw from Seal Beach. There is a video on a burnt out TDI from condensation, heat , and extra voltage battery pack ! Enjoy...

Thanks I will...

I looked at the video... he may even have a bad coil... my DF made that noise when the coil flooded... seems back then Whites had a bad batch of epoxy.

Who hunts in bare feet... that would be impossible here :lol:

Last edited:
Nice treasures Steve and thanks for the info on the TDI..Guess I'll mark that detector off the list since I hunt in adverse conditions. My only opp maybe to run the TDI under my drysuit...if I do go that way..I'm just hoping the "AQ" will not generate the heat the TDI does...:?:

nice finds

We have a "rock shrimp" in Florida that resembles that, but we also have a type of mantis shrimp we catch that will thump you harder than a baseball bat if you dont hold it correctly. It is the same color as those, but I dont see the thumpers on the ones in the pic, which makes me think it could be a rock shrimp

and the shell on a rock shrimp is extremely tough.
http://www.americanshrimp.com/about-our-shrimp/shrimp-academy/
see brown rock shrimp at bottom of page

Nice finds steve. I believe it's some kind of design flaw with the TDI. Mostly this will happen with a "larger" battery pack , which poses problem within itself. There is just heat build up inside. I have already fried one of these units. It doesn't seem to matter where you are , but higher humidity climates it's even worse. The silica gel packs help. But you still have to wipe it down. Seems like this design somehow needs to breathe which defeats the waterproof purpose.

Did you open the upper case with a screw driver or just stick the silica packs in the battery tray area?

Good job on the finds..

Not sure the silica packs will actually do anything. If you look inside the battery compartment its sealed off from the upper compartment... and that's where the water is building up. To get at the upper compartment you have to use a screw driver and take off a dozen screws or so.
I was using a 16v battery pack.
I might unscrew it and find a way to rig something up inside... need to think about it for a bit.
If I'm only hunting wet sand I might find a way to leave that upper area open 1mm or so to let the heat out...

Nice treasures Steve and thanks for the info on the TDI..Guess I'll mark that detector off the list since I hunt in adverse conditions. My only opp maybe to run the TDI under my drysuit...if I do go that way..I'm just hoping the "AQ" will not generate the heat the TDI does...:?:

Running it in the suit will probably make it worse due to the moisture buildup inside the suit. Day 1 was sunny 75 degree no wind. All 4 corners had water build up. 2nd day 72 degree and heavy wind. Some water build up but not nearly as much.
I need to open up the top part of the case and see what I can come up. It looks like silica packs in the battery compartment won't do anything. The 2 sections are separated.

If its submerged in cold water the water might dissipate the heat from inside the box fast enough to prevent water from condensing

Last edited:

Good job on the finds..

Opened up the compartment where the brains are today. Whites has 1 silica pack inside. Putting the silica packs are useless,,, the battery compartment and the brain compartment are completely sealed off from 1 another.
I did rig up 6 extra silica packs in the corners where water was building up.
Might have to do that every once in a while

Is it possible that compartment should be closed and sealed in a non-air environment such as nitrogen with 0 humidity? A lot of scuba instruments are done that way.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom