Finally broke the dry spell!!! (Plat Ring & 18k Necklace)

Joshc214

It's been a long 4 months since my last gold find. After 2 years of dealing with an old sports injury to my left knee I finally decided to get knee surgery.. I was expecting a fairly fast recovery but ended up not being able to walk for 8 weeks after my orthopedic surgeon removed my plica and a lot of scar tissue in my left knee. It's now been 13 weeks since the surgery and I'm finally able to walk around without too much pain. Anyways, that's why you haven't seen any posts from me in a while in case you were wondering...

I finally got back out today, we had perfect conditions with no wind, current or surf.. I managed to get in a good 8 hour hunt in the water... spent the first 7 hours working some old hot spots which were all sanded in and only managed to find a few quarters and a nickle. In the last hour of the hunt at full low tide I managed to find a deep cut on the inside of one of the outside sandbars... these are always my favorite spots to hit because you get all the tourists swimming to the sandbar losing gold chains and platinum rings which then get swept into the trough. Within the first 5 minutes of hunting this zone I pulled the 18k gold chain with a 14k gold pendant on it (the chain was hanging halfway out of the scoop when it came up). I had people all around me so I didn't spend much time looking at it and just put it away... on the very next signal I pulled the platinum ring :shock: Couldn't believe it.

Even at full low tide the middle of this trough was too deep to hunt... I'm sure it's still loaded with gold chains and rings.

This makes 3 gold chains so far this year!! :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 499
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 445
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 431
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 450
Very nice Josh. I was wondering what happened to you, Hope your knee heals fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Josh. I was wondering what happened to you, Hope your knee heals fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks man! I'm probably looking at around 6-12 months to fully recover, but at least I can walk around now and hunt.

Wow! I really envy you guys who live near the beach,,not that it’s easy finding what you did,,but you have the opportunity to find actual treasure.. Congratulations on all three of those log chains,and the platt.

Wow! I really envy you guys who live near the beach,,not that it’s easy finding what you did,,but you have the opportunity to find actual treasure.. Congratulations on all three of those log chains,and the platt.

Thanks woodbutcher! I envy the guys up north who find more historical type finds... can't have the best of both worlds I guess.

:dingding: What a great hunt! Good to see you out and about and also good to see conditions that are finally producing. Hopefully, I'll get something half as nice as you soon!

Very nice hunting Josh...

How about extending your scoop and getting some stilts like those drywall guys use that way you are above the water and can get into those deep troughs :D

Dang man, 8 hour hunt, that takes some serious stamina! Killer finds, congrats and good luck with the recovery!

Love that color! Congrads on the yellow and 8 hours, you must be a young buck! And with a knee on the mend.

8 hrs hunting on a new knee ? Hmmmm.... nice finds though. Is it possible for you to take a few pics of that outside sandbar cut next time ? Just would like to see what you are talking about as far as a cut out there.

:dingding: What a great hunt! Good to see you out and about and also good to see conditions that are finally producing. Hopefully, I'll get something half as nice as you soon!

Thanks Felix! I'm sure you'll hit it big soon!

Very nice hunting Josh...

How about extending your scoop and getting some stilts like those drywall guys use that way you are above the water and can get into those deep troughs :D

You might be on to something :laughing: I can basically guarantee there's gold in the middle of that trough... I've hunted that location countless times and its never been that deep.

Dang man, 8 hour hunt, that takes some serious stamina! Killer finds, congrats and good luck with the recovery!

Thanks Zeeman! With no current/waves/wind, an 8 hour hunt isn't too bad as long as you pace yourself... I might have trouble opening my hands when I wake up tomorrow though :lol:

Love that color! Congrads on the yellow and 8 hours, you must be a young buck! And with a knee on the mend.

Thanks man! Nothing beats the feeling of seeing a gold chain hanging out of your scoop... adrenaline's still pumping. The knee will just have to get used to it...

8 hrs hunting on a new knee ? Hmmmm.... nice finds though. Is it possible for you to take a few pics of that outside sandbar cut next time ? Just would like to see what you are talking about as far as a cut out there.

My entire hunts in the water, so I'm basically weightless. I've been finding it just as good as going to physical therapy... the days I sit all day not moving is when my knee decides to lock up.

The sandbar was a good 50-80 yards out with around waist deep water on the inside. The cut was around 100ft by 30ft with a depth of 8-10ft on the inside edge of the sandbar.

My entire hunts in the water, so I'm basically weightless. I've been finding it just as good as going to physical therapy... the days I sit all day not moving is when my knee decides to lock up.

The sandbar was a good 50-80 yards out with around waist deep water on the inside. The cut was around 100ft by 30ft with a depth of 8-10ft on the inside edge of the sandbar.

So.. it's like an 8 ft vertical drop ? Or sloping
Laying around has got to be the worst physically. I know. Being in water is some of the best physically.

It's been a long 4 months since my last gold find. After 2 years of dealing with an old sports injury to my left knee I finally decided to get knee surgery.. I was expecting a fairly fast recovery but ended up not being able to walk for 8 weeks after my orthopedic surgeon removed my plica and a lot of scar tissue in my left knee. It's now been 13 weeks since the surgery and I'm finally able to walk around without too much pain. Anyways, that's why you haven't seen any posts from me in a while in case you were wondering...

I finally got back out today, we had perfect conditions with no wind, current or surf.. I managed to get in a good 8 hour hunt in the water... spent the first 7 hours working some old hot spots which were all sanded in and only managed to find a few quarters and a nickle. In the last hour of the hunt at full low tide I managed to find a deep cut on the inside of one of the outside sandbars... these are always my favorite spots to hit because you get all the tourists swimming to the sandbar losing gold chains and platinum rings which then get swept into the trough. Within the first 5 minutes of hunting this zone I pulled the 18k gold chain with a 14k gold pendant on it (the chain was hanging halfway out of the scoop when it came up). I had people all around me so I didn't spend much time looking at it and just put it away... on the very next signal I pulled the platinum ring :shock: Couldn't believe it.

Even at full low tide the middle of this trough was too deep to hunt... I'm sure it's still loaded with gold chains and rings.

This makes 3 gold chains so far this year!! :)

I'm literally shaking with jealousy. So lucky to be near the surf!! Its so much harder to dirt fish... *sigh*.

Skippy.

So.. it's like an 8 ft vertical drop ? Or sloping
Laying around has got to be the worst physically. I know. Being in water is some of the best physically.

Sloping... I managed to hunt the outer edge only. We've had big surf all day today, so that cuts probably gone by now.

Congrats on your finds and your determination . Hoping your totally pain free soon .

Thanks man!

What a great payday!

The melt value of the chain and ring are about the same, $400 each. It'll just go in the stock pile of gold though.

Sweet score. Good to see you posting again

Thanks Steve, feels good to finally get back out. I was going stir crazy.

I'm literally shaking with jealousy. So lucky to be near the surf!! Its so much harder to dirt fish... *sigh*.

Skippy.

Each has its pros/cons... dealing with the massive crowds in the ocean can be frustrating at times, but yeah retrieving targets isn't difficult (most of the time)

What a great post surgery score! Im totally jealous, lol. Seriously nice brother!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom