How do you deal with super trashy areas?

playin4funami

Elite Member
running a MXT with 6x10 dd eclipse coil I know I need a smaller coil but how do you all hunt for coins in super target rich environments? I am talking constant sounds under the coil and then even knowing if you are digging the right target. pinpointer is about worthless picking up multiple targets in every hole. iron,aluminum, you name it. what advice tricks you have? short of digging up the entire yard.

Here’s is a link.
http://nevada-outback-gems.com/MXT_files/the_mxt_faq2.htm

Very good thread here with info.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=15663
I am not done here yet.
Standby.

Okay, coins ideally will read a certain number but they can fluctuate a bit too depending.

You when hunting trashier sites may indeed get clean hits with ideal (per coin) ID readings.

Here is something to keep in mind though.
And you can do yourown test to see the effects of colocated coin and say foil, pull tab, rings, etc.

You see if you have 2 say dimes near one another, this will likely not keep you from hearing one of the dimes with correct to more correct ID.

But what if a dime is near say a pice of foil?
What then?
It is very possible your detector may indeed give more of an average ID, meaning the foil is being process along with the dime as one target and reports lower than ideal for the dime.
The size of the foil, how it is orientated depthnwise in relation to a dime can make the effects more or less as far how how much dime ID id effected.

Some good experiments to do are.
Sweep dime solo.
Place nickel and dime near one another and sweep and note meter readings.
Place foil near dime and do the same.
Place beaver tail near dime and sweep.

Adjust spacing between the coin and other items to see effects on ID.

You can use other coins too.

A gold ring near a silver dime, very possible a detecrosits who is cherry picking might just walk right by thinking junk. ID too high to be gold generally and too low to be say copper or silver coin.

You as a detectorists while detecting areas where it is not logical, or really possible to dig every signal period. You can do the following.
You can set yourself a goal. Realizing ID of good items like higher conductive coins will indeed have their ID pulled down. So establish yourself a threshold lower than actual coin ID and use this lower ID provided on detected targets as Your guide to dig or not. Is this system full proof? No. But sure beats digging all, and most likely most will indeed be junk nonferous.

The MXT running at 14khz is not the best freq to use to hunt modern trash sites.
Better Detectors to use use lower freqs like in the 5khz range. This lower frequency will tend not to see the lower conductors as well, and also will not average higher conductors and lower conductors as low vs real ID of higher conductive coin.
Detectors like Nokta Impact.
Makro Multi Kruzer.
Minelab fbs detector like explores and Etrac and CTX.
Minelab Equinox.
White’s Vx3/V3i
Rutus Alter 71
There may be more.

A small coil like 4x6, 5”, 6” can help too even if using the detectors I list above.

Coils sweep speed can be a factor too. But remember there is only so much slower coil sweep can do to help locate a higher conductive targrt in a sea of trash.
Recovery speed set faster can help.
Pinpoint like you said can be a waste of time.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
In field Study! You make it a challenge to get really good at hunting heavy trash...then the rest of the World is your Oyster!

You can begin even at your house, try some tight multidenom spills and stacks...toss out some nails, foil, caps, all sorts of things to get familiar with how things sound...I try to imagine the Mass and the targets profile on a tone and will give it a stab based upon that...on account of a nickle on top of a Q will not give off a reliable tid...go with the strength/or lack of its tone signature, its profile and potential composition...

You can learn to use alternative coil manipulation techniques in heavy trash areas...a big DD can even work like a sniper...hopping it instead of swinging it...shooting the signal straight down instead of side to side....

Everybody needs a really trashy place as a classroom...trying diff settings and techniques to overcome it....Generally Nobody else will hunt it either...

I was at my heavy trash park this am working on some study...Its shady and enjoyable with a nice breeze...taught me some more things...

In field Study! You make it a challenge to get really good at hunting heavy trash...then the rest of the World is your Oyster!

You can begin even at your house, try some tight multidenom spills and stacks...toss out some nails, foil, caps, all sorts of things to get familiar with how things sound...I try to imagine the Mass and the targets profile on a tone and will give it a stab based upon that...on account of a nickle on top of a Q will not give off a reliable tid...go with the strength/or lack of its tone signature, its profile and potential composition...

You can learn to use alternative coil manipulation techniques in heavy trash areas...a big DD can even work like a sniper...hopping it instead of swinging it...shooting the signal straight down instead of side to side....

Everybody needs a really trashy place as a classroom...trying diff settings and techniques to overcome it....Generally Nobody else will hunt it either...

I was at my heavy trash park this am working on some study...Its shady and enjoyable with a nice breeze...taught me some more things...

First two sentences! Once learned,you are head and shoulders above the average hunter! I LOVE trashy areas(not farms so much)....

thanks everyone, guess i sort knew what i needed to do was just hoping for a shortcut,lol. so much frustration with junk just layered in the ground, I have dug so many washers there already, some in stacks, like a coin spill, nails by the bucket, and we won't even talk about the beer bottle caps. thanks for the info I will surely utilize it! I think I will keep slugging my way through for a while more. for the learning experience. I have other more likely places to swing a coil over but I am stubborn. so when i get frustrated I can hit something else for a bit before going back.

Some good info in here for sure. I'm no pro in trash but with the ATP I notice I can weed through the trash pretty good with much slower swing speeds.

Where I need help is with knowing how to identify iffy tones or not in junk. So far I'm just swinging slow until I get a nice solid tone back and forth and then I dig but I know there are some masked ones I'm missing.

Any tips for masked high tones? Or are people mostly changing angles until they get a nice consistent high tone to dig?

^^This!

I love hunting in thick iron and trash. It really helps you start to understand your detector's capabilities and what it's telling you. Once you become proficient at it, you'll be rewarded with some nice finds left behind by less experienced detectorists in those "hunted out" places.

Lots of great responses. Also, if you continue to use current detector 6x10 coil, you could try turning down the sensitivity to improve separation of closely spaced targets. It will reduce depth, but so would an even smaller coil. So, something like having a smaller coil, without the added expense. Best wishes, George (MN)

Back
Top Bottom