Question on well/privy?

Pulltabby

Forum Supporter
Hi, while walking in the forest today looking for bottles with my pet gsd, found a well? or something filled with water a foot away from top and deep.

It has a small square opening 30"x30". All 4 sides are perfectly cut. No signs of wood,stones. The 4 sides look like clay/dirt nothing else.

I put a 9 foot branch in it, no bottom reached. Is this a well? how did they make the walls so even and square? I'm going back and try a magnet.

It was a real death trap , I left some heavy branches over it . Btw found a few more bottles.. it is very near the bottle dump that I found last week.

Thanks for any info.

Hi, while walking in the forest today looking for bottles with my pet gsd, found a well? or something filled with water a foot away from top and deep.

It has a small square opening 30"x30". All 4 sides are perfectly cut. No signs of wood,stones. The 4 sides look like clay/dirt nothing else.

I put a 9 foot branch in it, no bottom reached. Is this a well? how did they make the walls so even and square? I'm going back and try a magnet.

It was a real death trap , I left some branches over it. Btw found a few more bottles.. it is very near the bottle dump that I found last week.

Thanks for any info.

stay away from the b!t!h

Ive run into many at old homesites, you did a wise thing by putting large branches over it. Many things fall into those and don't come back. Im gunna guess it was a well, not a privy. Although ill bet there's still metal objects down there. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Ive run into many at old homesites, you did a wise thing by putting large branches over it. Many things fall into those and don't come back. Im gunna guess it was a well, not a privy. Although ill bet there's still metal objects down there. Keep us posted! Good luck!

Thanks

stay away from the b!t!h

I was certainly playing Russian roulette walking near that death trap, I'm surprised was no cover, I know for sure there were hunters before me..I will cover it good or leave some log in it. hh

oj/bc

Coooool! Yes go back in there serious! Take a heavy magnet, also, fabricate up a 'trash grapple hook' out of some stiff but bendable heavy wire, maybe even a good weight like a cast iron sash weight to plumb the depth.......Then start in working! pull up all the branches, skeletons of raccoons and whatnot that fell in there over the years, then lower in that magnet and fish around....Depending on the depth, you might be able to rig up some sort of pole with a scoop on the end for the non-metallic metals at the bottom! Take pics and report back or we will send out a search party!

Coooool! Yes go back in there serious! Take a heavy magnet, also, fabricate up a 'trash grapple hook' out of some stiff but bendable heavy wire, maybe even a good weight like a cast iron sash weight to plumb the depth.......Then start in working! pull up all the branches, skeletons of raccoons and whatnot that fell in there over the years, then lower in that magnet and fish around....Depending on the depth, you might be able to rig up some sort of pole with a scoop on the end for the non-metallic metals at the bottom! Take pics and report back or we will send out a search party!

Haha:yes: thanks, my first attempt at magnet fishing. Thanks for the tips.

oj/bc

Take someone with you as a "safety", or at least an extra hank of rope so that you can tie yourself off to a nearby tree.

Roger

Back
Top Bottom