Better pay taxes? Found any of these?

KS Plug Popper

Well I thought I'd share my tax tokens, found all four here is Kansas, even though two are from OK and the other from CO. These come from an interesting time. Sales tax tokens were fractional cent devices used to pay sales tax on very small purchases in many American states during the years of the Great Depression. Tax tokens were created as a means for consumers to avoid being "overcharged" by having to pay a full penny tax on purchases of 5 or 10 cents. Issued by private firms, by municipalities, and by twelve state governments, sales tax tokens were generally issued in multiples of 1⁄10 cent. I believe Missouri used them up till around 1960. There were over a billion of these produced they say!
tok4.jpg
Kansas Sales Tax 1937
tok1.jpg
Colorado Sales Tax 1935-1945
tok2.jpg
Oklahoma Consumer Tax For Old Age Assistance 1937-1941
tok3.jpg
Consumers Tax Check Oklahoma 1936
Nice ones can bring 5.00 - 20.00, but I think they are some cool history.
Ever want to know something about a token old or modern check out https://en.numista.com/ its very impressive info on tokens.

I have never found a Pennsylvania one here, I think we did not have them either. Pennsylvania is called " land of taxes " by some folks, could be that even back then they just rounded the tax upwards to the next cent. :lol:

I like finding these things...when they were issued everyone hated them, except the govt.
The people didn't like them because it was just more junk to carry around in your pockets and most times they weren't made out of heavy metal like coins but lighter stuff like aluminum, zinc or even fiber, (paper).
Merchants hated them because cash machine drawers did not have extra slots for these things and everyone had to use math of figure out how to give correct change.
Then they traveled to other states that didn't issue tokens and those merchants were forced to deal with them too when they were presented.
All to avoid getting screwed out of a few 100's of a cent in sales transactions.

I found one from Missouri when I lived in Kansas and even though it was eaten up badly because it was made of zinc I consider it a lucky find because the second generation issue starting in 1943 they changed them to paper fiber so good luck finding one of those in good shape the ground today.

Attachments

• P1050321.jpg
    P1050321.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 405
Utah Tax Tokens. Issued 1937-1942. These are a good indication that silver may be close by!

Attachments

• 20181018_081856_resized.jpg
    20181018_081856_resized.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
I found a Louisiana Luxury tax token this summer here in Ohio.... definitely was a cool find

I thought it was odd to find an Alabama one in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Dug about 5 or 6 years ago. I like that it says "LUXURY TAX"

Attachments

• DSCN8439.jpg
    DSCN8439.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN8438.jpg
    DSCN8438.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 395
The twelve states that issued these sales tax tokens were Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, and Washington.

The twelve states that issued these sales tax tokens were Alabama, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Utah, and Washington.

I hunt areas north of Seattle, and I find several tax tokens every couple months. I've read that Washington was one of the top producers of aluminum tax tokens. As mentioned previously - they're an indicator of potential silver - kinda like wheaties.

Well wouldn't ya know it! After posting my old "taxie" from years ago, I went out and found another one today! Curb strip produced some wheats, 2 silver Rosies, a silver GW, a few odds and ends, and this:

Attachments

• DSCN8447.jpg
    DSCN8447.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 333
  • DSCN8445.jpg
    DSCN8445.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 340
Well wouldn't ya know it! After posting my old "taxie" from years ago, I went out and found another one today! Curb strip produced some wheats, 2 silver Rosies, a silver GW, a few odds and ends, and this:
Hahaha, thats awsome that you found one today, i found a another gold ring today, but nothing cool like a tax token, hehe!

Holy Moly, what a great dig! The "luxury tax" token was quite appropriate for that big spender.
Man I'd say so! My spills are like 3 zinkins and a nickel, haha! Never even held a gold coin, but its on my to do list, haha.
20181018_203011_resized.jpg
Did catch a little gold today though.

Those WA Tax Tokens are all over the place. Have found several here in Western Montana. What a let down, as at first I think they are a merchant token. I think a WA detecting group on YouTube, might be the Relic Rangers, play some sort of Aluminati clip each time they live dig a WA tax token.

Back
Top Bottom