.What do you put on the tip Of the Garrett Pro Pointer to keep it from wearing so much..????

petejc

I saw some guys in these videos like the Hoover Boys that have a black cover over the tip but don't know what it is made of..

I saw some guys in these videos like the Hoover Boys that have a black cover over the tip but don't know what it is made of..

They are vinyl caps, "Pinpointer Cap Tip Protector - Fits Garrett Propointer AT" (eBay), 60mil thick, BLACK, 1.5 inch tip protectors. I've had one on my Garrett carrot for years and haven't worn through it. Well worth the money spent, considering the price of a new one. You will love it!

Buy a pkg of chair leg plastic protectors at Home Depot of the proper size to fit the pointer tip and stick it on. Been using that for years and it is not only very cheap but very effective.

I've never seen the need for these...I mean, you don't actually use it to dig with right? lol. I've had mine for a year and a half, I don't baby it but it's not even slightly worn down.

I've never seen the need for these...I mean, you don't actually use it to dig with right? lol. I've had mine for a year and a half, I don't baby it but it's not even slightly worn down.

if you dig enough holes, just the tip rubbing in the dirt or rocks wears a hole in it. I have already put a hole in mine. i tool dip it now

I've gotten the chair leg protectors before and still have several laying around somewhere. I never gave them much of a chance to show value, and in my 11 years of detecting, I have never worn down a pinpointer thinner, much less made a hole. I hardly ever hunt rocky/gravel areas. I don't stir the dirt, just graze the surface.

The chair leg protectors are great for anybody wanting a protector. I just like a naked pointer tip.

I've gotten the chair leg protectors before and still have several laying around somewhere. I never gave them much of a chance to show value, and in my 11 years of detecting, I have never worn down a pinpointer thinner, much less made a hole. I hardly ever hunt rocky/gravel areas. I don't stir the dirt, just graze the surface.

The chair leg protectors are great for anybody wanting a protector. I just like a naked pointer tip.

your soil must be nicer than mine, that and you treat your tools better :laughing:

Wait another couple years and it will wear down. I had mine about 5 years and didn't even know the tip was worn down. I sent it in to Garrett for a new shell and now will have a tip protector on all 4 of them.

if you dig enough holes, just the tip rubbing in the dirt or rocks wears a hole in it. I have already put a hole in mine. i tool dip it now

I agree, my first black Garrett wore down. Now the new orange one has never been used without the cap and still looks new on the tip. All depends where and how much you hunt.:yes:

I used Plastidip on mine and it’s held up fine for a few years now. The caps they sell now are probably better though. I don’t think they were available when I dipped mine.

Attachments

• CF5DA9D9-54F4-4DBF-A8F3-BF709E24550E.jpeg
    CF5DA9D9-54F4-4DBF-A8F3-BF709E24550E.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 742
the real problem is I wear out the button rubber. mine leaks there now as well. Probably time for a new pin pointer.... but I just can't kill this carrot.

the real problem is I wear out the button rubber. mine leaks there now as well. Probably time for a new pin pointer.... but I just can't kill this carrot.

Call/Email Garrett, They sent me button cover replacements free of charge in the past.

Back
Top Bottom