Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 06-10-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by garviso8 View post
whole heartedly agree preordered from kellyco back in april and was told the other day their still catching up with Februarys preorders could be another 5-6 weeks ,total nonsense! THIS IS A MARKETING PLOY wont fall for it again
I just kept active, watched eBay, Cabelas, monitored the forums, and emailed dealers. Got put on lists sure, but kept at it and in a very short period of time had the detector in my hands at MSRP. The OP is a good guy for doing what he did, but no one thanked him. I as well posted twice when I saw detectors come up at msrp. Its what forums are for. The rest of it is like micturating in the wind, no one knows, or has any idea of what the truth is. My 'demand' was high, but not high enough that I would pay anyone an extra premium. The 'supply' is there at this point in time it just takes a little effort. In a very short period of time there will be 800's sitting on the shelves with the standard deals and discounts from our great dealers. I can't see this as any more than what can happen with the roll out of a new product.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Elite Member

I support the great dealers and sponsors of the forum. I have bought from many of them and never had a problem. A deal reached on line was as good as hand shake. I encourage forum members to use the sponsors at all times. I have also turned down numerous opportunities to buy an Equinox 800 when presented with offers. My issue is not a buyers frustration. It is simply a fan of the hobby angry at yet another screwed up release. Intentional shortage for a marketing ploy, or an unintentional manufacturing disaster...Minelab deserves criticism. So do the profiteers of shortage Mark up. If you don't agree fine with me. Have a nice day.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM

So I am wondering what percentage of people really wanted the 800, but could not get one so they bought a 600 instead. Then when 800's finally become widely available the folks with the 600's turn around and buy an 800. Minelab has doubled it's sales.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by happycamper08 View post
There is no way minelab is creating an artificial shortage. They have lost how many sales because of a lack of product? Just because you can't put your hands on one right now doesn't imply a conspiracy theory. And just adding another production line is kind of crazy. Where are all the parts and people needed going to come from?
This. People think everything is a conspiracy...and none of it really is

Old 06-14-2018, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
So I am wondering what percentage of people really wanted the 800, but could not get one so they bought a 600 instead. Then when 800's finally become widely available the folks with the 600's turn around and buy an 800. Minelab has doubled it's sales.
Probably enough of those 600-to-800 sales that Minelab won't lose on the gambit--and it also helped to prolong the hype--but many of us who would have shelled out more for the 800 may just stick with the 600. I really don't think my 600 has failed to find a single thing that the 800 would have found. Unless you need the gold modes, there really isn't a meaningful difference. Then you also have the folks who bought the 600, tried it, and have gone back to what they were using before, having decided the Nox is not for them...

Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by longbow62 View post
I am someone who really wanted the 800, bought it and then realized it might be 3+ months and then bought a 600. I wanted the 800, to use on vacation whether it be nevada, arizona, Florida, or at home in Illinois I wanted something that would pack up light for travel and detect in almost any location and holds its own with other proven machines. I was likely to buy a 2nd detector anyways, most of my friends are not going to drop $500+ on a metal detector, but will come out with me if i have a 2nd one.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Eq 800

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
As of 9:34 AM, Cabelas has the Equinox 800 in stock.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MINE...TE/2671944.uts
I order mine wed 6/13/18 I was told it will be here 6 /19 /18. From adealer

Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 AM

There are 600's to be had everywhere. The components for the 600 and 800 are the same it would appear. My guess is only the software is different. Possibly there could be some processors in the guts of the 800 unit that are different from the 600, but I doubt processor differences would account for the lack of 800's for sale.

It is though totally possible Minelab intentionally held back the 800's being the more desirable model of the two to create a perceived scarcity situation. This strategy has been used many times by various companies. I first heard of it as an actual marketing/sales method back in the 1990's while in college. So to say it's a conspiracy theory is not quite correct. To determine whether Minelab used this strategy would take a hard look at the overall evidence. A quick search brought up this scholarly paper on the subject. Here is a link to the paper on the subject regarding the consumer buying psychology involved when products are scarce or made artificially scarce.

https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...t=businessdiss

Old 06-14-2018, 11:38 AM
Sponsor

Minelab is not holding back on 800 orders, that would cause them to lose sales to other manufacturers. Shortage is shortage, they simply have more orders than the production line can produce at this time. The back log is dropping, I was told Kellyco's back order is down to 225 from 360 and they are still taking orders.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by treasure_hunter1 View post
Minelab is not holding back on 800 orders, that would cause them to lose sales to other manufacturers. Shortage is shortage, they simply have more orders than the production line can produce at this time. The back log is dropping, I was told Kellyco's back order is down to 225 from 360 and they are still taking orders.
Exactly. Though you will never convince the haters and conspiracy theorists on here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Old 06-15-2018, 10:20 AM

Multiple 800s on eBay now, MSRP, multiple dealers.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:39 PM
Elite Member

I was thinking about getting the 800 as some of my detecting buddies have them and they have done very well with them. I have also see alot of people taking advantage of the high demand for them and selling them at a premium. I have a quote from a local dealer at what price he is willing to do for a 800. I have seen some close to the price but I am willing to wait for them to come in. Also the on in the FS section is very over priced. 915 for a new one that is more then the msrp who cares about shipping added in if you are including shipping you should lower the price. So people just want to take advantage of people and sell something that is in high demand. i dont think minelab thought they would have this much interest in them however they probably should have planned better for it.

MD:CTX3030 XTerra 705 2018:10.22/2017:(100.10)clad|0(3).925|0(7)wheat|0(0)buffs|0 (0)V's|0(0)silver|oldest coin:1889 Indian