First Hunt with the Excal and Stealth

jadocs

Forum Supporter
Finally got out early this morning to test out the new Excal my wife bought me a few weeks ago for turning the big Five - O. Up until today I spent a lot of time reading threads and doing as much research as I could. I ended up ordering a Plugger three piece travel shaft and a Sunspot Stealth scoop.

I couldn't ask for a more beautiful morning. Fresh air, nice and cool...
8e0d0c7f0749cff15479462c47793df9.jpg

I'm used to swinging a Deus and had no real experience with a real beach/water detector, so I spent most of my time getting familiar with the machine. The beach was really quiet. I was expecting to hit all kinds of trash. After playing around in pinpoint and disc modes, I quickly learned to trust the discrimination. This machine is spot on weeding out the trash. I dug those iron tones anyway just to see what was in my scoop. Yes that is a 10" coil.
c6fd809717351d274bea326851d74e6e.jpg

The balance of the carbon fiber Plugger straight shaft is incredible. With the controls mounted behind the elbow....I could literally swing this all day with no problem. Although the Stealth looks huge, it is really light and made digging a real pleasure! While detecting, I just rested it on my shoulder. Didn't even feel like it was there.
452ce4db6fe8ac81e65029497d696c8e.jpg

My last target was the creme dela creme.
f5bbf6354d4679ae522082e5e476b9bc.jpg

When I returned my wife asked "what did you find?". I told her "you can't put a price on fun". LOL

Happy Hunting.

Good first trip out, and some nice looking sand! Get that baby Wet!!

Better

Watch out posting shinny scoops, green machine's, with no gold posting's , :shock:, they will start plucking on you like a chicken going after feed howboutit , atleast put a few scratches on the stealth :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

That sand looks much easier to dig in than our rocks. Get in the water and look for troughs. Keep walking until the mush turns hard under your feet and slow down. That was my biggest issue starting out. I was used to swinging the deus which as you know is nothing compared to the excal. I was swinging too fast trying to cover too much ground and as a result, ended up with tennis elbow! Another trick is if you null over iron, give the coil a quick wiggle and sometimes you will hear a masked signal under the iron.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Congrats on your first hunt... good job not posting a "Felix" penny... those are looked down upon here... they are on the same level as a ferrous target... and don't listen to Earl... he is the curator of the "unused" beach equipment museum ;) Your best bet for good finds is hunting the lowtides.. depending on the beach 2 to 3 hours on the outgoing and incoming are best...

When I returned my wife asked "what did you find?". I told her "you can't put a price on fun". LOL

That's classic!!! :laughing:

Congrats on your first hunt... good job not posting a "Felix" penny... those are looked down upon here... they are on the same level as a ferrous target...

Don't be paying to attention to our cranky moderator he's just jealous he doesn't have his own coin named after him! :razz:

Felix

+ 2 :thumbsup::roll::laughing: He's been stuck in CT way 2 long :jail: :shock::lol: PS maybe his buddy Swing can make a Craig coin just 4 him, i wonder what would be on it Felix, maybe other member's could post some idea's Howboutit :?::secret::thumbsup::D PS don't be scared , feel free to post , as he grow's softer every day :D

Thanks all. I had to look up what a Felix penny was lol. Thank you all also for the tips. I do plan on getting in the water as soon as it warms up a bit.

Swinglow, yep I noticed that I needed to slow way down. Interesting you mentioned wiggling the coil over a null tone. I noticed that this morning when I approached the null from different directions.

Nice views and good story. You finds will improve greatly. I do agree with you that there is no price on having fun.

Thanks all. I had to look up what a Felix penny was lol. Thank you all also for the tips. I do plan on getting in the water as soon as it warms up a bit.

Swinglow, yep I noticed that I needed to slow way down. Interesting you mentioned wiggling the coil over a null tone. I noticed that this morning when I approached the null from different directions.

Neoprene waders my friend....Get in that water right MEOW!

This is the best time for water hunts. No people around to get in the way.

Thanks again fellas

Neoprene waders my friend....Get in that water right MEOW!

This is the best time for water hunts. No people around to get in the way.

I hear you! Lol

Hey quick question, I was looking up info on Excal maintenance and I'm reading about people removing their knobs every few weeks so they can silicon grease the o-rings. From what I hear, the oem knobs are designed to break away. Do you guys really remove them or just use some food grade silicon spray...and spray underneath?

I ordered some of this. I figured I should treat the coil cable and such before I venture out in the salt water.

3b3b9298ca7f4fc76f448893ee8d617c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom