Few records broken on my recent hunt

Aquila

Record number one - number of coins found on one hunting trip. So far my highest number was 46 coins (for my statistics I count only those minted before 1945, sorry America, but everything minted after 1945 is just too young for me ;) ). Last saturday I set a new record - 72 coins.

IMG_0119.jpg

Record number two - number of silver coins found on one session. Out of those 72 coins 7 of them were silver.

Record numer three - biggest silver coin found.

It's just an incredible feel when something like that pops out of the ground. Fortunately I have two photos from the field, from the very moment of finding, so I can share them with you. These pictures, with coins still being dirty, freshly dug out - are extremely climatic and I always enjoy watching them.

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

And my largest silver and my tiniest one from that day. Polish huge 8 groshen compared to Russian wire kopek.

IMG_0120.jpg

Congratulations!
It looks to me like you need a hunting partner;)

I have :D And we've been together there, he found 36 coins, two of them silver so was less lucky, but on the other hand he found the oldest one - small medieval silver (none of my coins was medieval).

I also did some calculations and according to math it seems that my average score was one coin every 5.8 minutes.

No problem :D I would be glad to take you with me to my best fields, just book a flight and it's done ;)

Wow! Extremely impressive group of finds. Love that large polish coin. And your buddy found a medeival?! I can't imagine detecting in an area where it's possible to find a medieval coin or older.
Forgive me for asking, but is it in Poland where you are detecting? It's my dream to someday detect anywhere in Europe, but in particular Eastern Europe. Most of my family lineage is Eastern European. Congratulations on an amazing hunt!

Just phenomenal... what a beautiful Georgian era silver! And what a haul! Amazing. What's the oldest coin of the bunch?

Very nice finds Aquila, that big silver looks to be in very nice shape! 1792? :wow:

Thats some great hunting there! One coin every 6 minutes or so is some really decent dirt! Congratulations on your record haul there Buddy!
Mud

Nice big silver but that guy on the coin is uuuugly!:laughing:

Ugly, but his style was flawless :laughing:

Stanis_aw_II_August_Poniatowski_in_coronation_cl.png

Forgive me for asking, but is it in Poland where you are detecting? It's my dream to someday detect anywhere in Europe, but in particular Eastern Europe. Most of my family lineage is Eastern European. Congratulations on an amazing hunt!

Yup, Poland, close to Warsaw actually. Maybe one day you'll come visit Poland, quite a lot of American tourists come here every year. Then we would be able to go together for a hunt ;)

What's the oldest coin of the bunch?

Small billon solidus of Swedish king Gustav Adolph, first half of the XVIIth century (can't see the exact date on it).

Very nice finds Aquila, that big silver looks to be in very nice shape! 1792? :wow:

Yup, 1792. And this version with MV letters is the rarest of them all. But still it's not very valuable - it's worth about $100. But I do not sell anything and I do not really care about material value, because I find historic value much more interesting. Every time I find such coin I wonder who was touching them for the last time before me and how exactly that person lost it. I'll never find an answer to these questions, but I love this kind of connection I have to the unknown person living centuries before me thanks to this hobby.

Thanks for the information, I love the history behind these coins too!
When I looked at that large silver coin, I thought it was a woman:lol:

Back
Top Bottom