Update for f44 small trashy coil?

dca2

I'm looking at getting a Nel sharp, snake, or sharpshooter. I have a Fisher f44 with the stock 11" concentric coil. I also have a f2 with the fisher 4" coil but my son uses that machine and I want a sniper for the f44. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have been hunting VERY trashy curb strips where stately Victorian mansions once stood ~1870-1930. The strips are full of screw caps and broken pint bottles --run down part of town, all but 5 homes gone, shotgun houses for 50 years, now empty lots. I have found a 1916 barber in curb strip but it was tough. I'm pretty sure there's more.

Elsewhere, I am mainly coin shooting yards and parks and am about to get some swing time on a cw campsite.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:
Many use the Nel coils and seem to like them.
Fisher also just came out with their own 4" coil for the F44 that sells for $49.
I have used the F2 and the sniper for hundreds of hours and love what it found for me....the Nels will I am sure be just as good, could be even better and maybe a little deeper.

Hopefully someone will come on here that has used them on this unit.

Last edited:
Wow, 49 bucks!? Now I guess the question needs to be asked: Do the small NEL coils warrant twice the money? I understand they are DD but I have only used concentrics.

Wow, 49 bucks!? Now I guess the question needs to be asked: Do the small NEL coils warrant twice the money? I understand they are DD but I have only used concentrics.

DD's are good for snaking though trash with that thin scanning field, I use one now on my F70 and it works well.
I didn't have much problem using the F2 and the 4" concentric either, that $15 coil found me about $600 in clad and twice as much as that in silver and especially gold.
Also I hunt in mostly the trashiest sites and areas...always have.
Curb strips, basketball and volleyball court perimeters, picnic pavilion areas, parking lot islands.

I assume the F44 is just as fast and has just as decent target separation abilities as the F2, could even be better for all I know.
That is what is pulling the major load when hunting in trash, the coils matter but the tools and the natural abilities they have that you mount them on matter more I think.

I have read posts and talked to people that think he Nels go pretty deep, sometimes deeper than the factory coils but sometimes just the same.
If depth is a factor that should be considered with more opinions, and DD's do handle mineralized soil a bit better.
If you get the DD it could maybe work pretty good in old home sites with lots of nails.
The cheaper one will too but if it is a real old site a little extra depth can't hurt if indeed you can get deeper with the Nels.

If depth is not an issue any kind might work well enough as long as it's small.

Most coils will eventually pay for themselves anyway given enough time.

Hopefully as people get home from work and get online a few with the Nels will
give you more info.

Here is a Keith Sothern vid over a year old where he adapted a DD coil on an F44, I have no idea which one, could have been from an F5 or an F75 and neither one matches yours exactly so the frequency match might really matter doing this test or in the real world.

Notice what he says near the end....he is not all that sure that DD's of any kind are a good match for this particular unit but I don't have a clue about that.

I hunt in iron all the time with my F70 and a DD sniper works great but I have a much more advanced machine, also.

Honestly using my F2 I never had much luck in iron with any coil but then again I rarely hunted those kind of sites back then and 99% of the time I notched out iron, anyway.
But as I said in trashy sites that thing and the concentric did shockingly well.

You have a decision to make, I think they will all work better than the bigger coil but what is really the difference and in this case does price really matter...or not?

I am curious so I will be watching this thread.

I couldn't pass up the price of the Fisher 4". Unless I really hate it, I'll skip the NEL's for now and save my nickles for the Patriot!

Dave

I couldn't pass up the price of the Fisher 4". Unless I really hate it, I'll skip the NEL's for now and save my nickles for the Patriot!

Dave

It is a coil made by the same factory tuned to units they manufacture so I can't see many downsides.
Like I said, the F2 sniper worked great on that one, they had years to make improvements and figure out how to match it to the newer generation products.

I would say have fun and good luck but we Fisher guys seem pretty good at making our own luck.

If bottlecaps are a problem you defiantly don't want a dd coil.Concentric coils deal with bottlecaps way better.
This makes me feel better about my purchase. I can expect at least 2 screw caps from pint bottles and what seems like half glass/half dirt in every scoop!

I would say have fun and good luck but we Fisher guys seem pretty good at making our own luck.

Digger27, your posts from when I first started lurking steered me to the f2 with sniper coil but my son likes that one so I just had to get another. If you would please stop posting about the f70/patriot, I could probably save some more money!

The bottle caps which a comcentric does a better job of identifying are steel crimp on caps, either twist-ogg or comventional meeding a bottle opener.

The aluminum screw on caps have a verynlarge surface area and can come in most anywhere on the scale from medium conductor on up.

So I got the 4" Fisher coil and have used it a couple of times.

This thing LOVES dimes! I hunted curb strips where parking meters once were. The alloy posts (zinc?) are still present. I was zeroing in on dimes and a few quarters within ~1 to 1 1/2" of the post. Most were 2-6" deep. I had more trouble from my Garrett carrot near the posts-really had to de-tune it. After hunting 5 posts I had to leave, but I'll be back.

The strips were a little trashy and I was cherry picking high tones. I did dig some pennies and the coil/detector combo still id's the copper from the zinc very well.

I did find my largest spill-14 pennies in a 6" diameter hole, about 2-6" deep.

Back
Top Bottom