Clad Cleaning questions

GillyWI

Elite Member
Hi all, this is my second detecting year (2013 was) and have a lot more clad this year due to experience, better weather than 2012, and I think a better machine plus a propointer to help.

So I have all my clad seperated out and am also sorting the zinc out from the copper cents.
I probably will just turn everything in to the bank that I can, even the copper cents as i don't really see the sense in hoarding them, even though it has crossed my mind.
The zincs, some are OK, like the ones found on the ground or just below the grass blades. Some are pretty toasted, last year I used them in my trucks change holder, my morning McDs coffee is $1.06 so used a nickel and a toasted zincoln to get the 6 cents, never had a problem.
So without a tumbler, I have a few ideas for cleaning, some of which I think worked fine last year.
For the zincolns, I think I can get away with just hot water and a bit of soap, put in a mason jar and shake it up a few minutes and call it good enough to get some of the dirt particles and dust off them, I know you can't do too much to them, but this year it will help to seperate them because last year some of my "silver" clads got pretty tarnished or stained by the zincs, although I was using harsher chemicals, not realize just how bad zincs can get.
The copper cents I think hot water and maybe some soap and also some white vinegar to help clean them a bit better.
Not sure how to clean nickels.
Dimes and quarters I think I can clean together, last year I used Lime Away on them straight then a hot water flush and looked fine, this year I have way too many to do like this, we'd be talking a total of 660 or so quarters and dimes, so hoping a solution of hot water and Lime Away or CLR will do the job. I can pick out ant nice-looking ground find dimes and quarters to reduce the total, I did find some nice ones that were just laying on the ground, I'm sure everyone gets these.

You can clean all the nickels, dimes, & quarters together. I use vinegar and salt solution in a container. Shake them real good about every 15 minutes. An hour will have them clean but dull looking which isn't a big deal. I tumble mine to shine them up but it's just preference.

I just cleaned all of last year's zinc cents in vinegar and salt. Rinsed and baking powder'd. Dried. De-bent a few with some linesman pliars and plan to dump them into a coinstar machine and seeing how I do!

I just soap and water clean nickels, dimes and quarters and hand roll those.

Keeping the copper cents and nickels.

Rest is saved up for a Compadre :)

I don't actually don't clean clad at all. just wrap and go to the bank. Saves time and money for a tumbler.

Clad i guess is a bigger deal to me because it's almost all I find.
Plus up north here where we have an off-season, the clad cleaning and sorting is a way to stay connected to the hobby without being able to detect. I could sit around watching youtube videos, but after awhile it just gives you cabin fever. So there is my defense of cleaning clad.

I did my cleaning of the zincs today, I did a soak in hot water and a little vinegar, then actually toothbrushed them a bit and then hot water and vinegar again and layed them on a towel to dry. I seperated the decent ones from the toasted ones, my wife has a penny jar she can use the good ones in.

Started the same process with the coppers, there are a LOT more of them because I normally discriminate out the zinc, but not always.

Clean them all together. Always have and have never had any discoloration problems. Throw em all in a tumbler with soap water and aquarium gravel for an hour. Good to go.

Plus up north here where we have an off-season, the clad cleaning and sorting is a way to stay connected to the hobby without being able to detect. I could sit around watching youtube videos, but after awhile it just gives you cabin fever. So there is my defense of cleaning clad.

You could coin roll hunt, and get silver year round.... Oh wait, your from Wisconsin (competition) ..... Nevermind. :)

I did my cleaning of the zincs today, I did a soak in hot water and a little vinegar, then actually toothbrushed them a bit and then hot water and vinegar again and layed them on a towel to dry. I seperated the decent ones from the toasted ones, my wife has a penny jar she can use the good ones in.

Started the same process with the coppers, there are a LOT more of them because I normally discriminate out the zinc, but not always.

maybe using discrimation is why you only find clad ... lots of other good things hit a zinc number ... dig everything above iron and you will find more goodies and trash ... and I use vinegar on all memorial pennies with them mixed together and it doesn't hurt either one

maybe using discrimation is why you only find clad ... lots of other good things hit a zinc number ... dig everything above iron and you will find more goodies and trash ... and I use vinegar on all memorial pennies with them mixed together and it doesn't hurt either one

I know what you're saying, I guess my view is "that's how I roll".

Indian heads, silver half dimes, ring in right at zinc, plus all the gold and silver jewelry could also hit in that range

Accessories BUY a Tumbler

This hobby is like any other. You need accessories. That is a Tumbler. Look how much time you are wasting cleaning with a tooth brush. Go to Harbor freight and buy one. They offer 20% coupons every week. The best cleaning solution by far is Conklin Multi surface GEL. About $10.00 with shipping. Last forever. and you can reuse your dirty solution. Just let it sit and the dirt will settle to the bottom then pour in the clean stuff again. Look at my old posts on cleaning. I just bought a case $32.60 before shipping for 6. $5.43 a bottle.

FWIW,
For cleaning all my coins (zinc, copper, and clad together sans the silver and Wheats) I dump them in an empty milk jug, add about 1/3 full of water, and a handful or two of gravel from my driveway, then put the cap on and start shaking it. I might change the water a couple times, but after two or three rounds of this the clad comes out looking pretty good. Won't be as good as a tumbler, but good enough.

Cleaning Clad isn't a fun job and really sux's ....I don't cash them in so I use white vinegar and salt for cleaning and vacuum seal them afterwards, I found this method keeps them looking fresh an clean.....Just my opinion..

Cleaning Clad isn't a fun job and really sux's ....I don't cash them in so I use white vinegar and salt for cleaning and vacuum seal them afterwards, I found this method keeps them looking fresh an clean.....Just my opinion..

You vacuum seal your clad? :?: What's the purpose of holding on to it, just to see it add up? Not bashing you, just curious. :grin:

The Clad finds I dig doesn't burn a hole in my pocket like it does for others :laughing:

It doesn't burn a hole in mine either, but a pile of dirty clad that isn't worth more than face value sure begins to add up (volume wise) after a while. Of course my wife makes comments when I let things start to pile up and this was no exception. However, I was surprised how much room on my "finds" shelf that $100 in change took up. Felt good to get it all cleared out once I did. But, to each their own. :cool:

Pop them into a cement mixer with a cup full of washing liquid and water....in one of the small mixers...that should tumble them good and well.

I know I used to mix up the gardening fertilizer and fresh topsoil for the flower beds...im just thinking logically...it should work.

Just make sure its clean before you start...and check on then after a couple of minutes....pour them out onto a hessian bag and then garden hose them off...it shouldn't hurt the soil, the dirt off them came from the soil so your just returning it and a cup of washing liquid should be ok...we used to put washing up liquid in the cement so it wouldn't go off so quick so its in plenty of brick homes.

you could do one years worth in one clean out...:D

It doesn't burn a hole in mine either, but a pile of dirty clad that isn't worth more than face value sure begins to add up (volume wise) after a while. Of course my wife makes comments when I let things start to pile up and this was no exception. However, I was surprised how much room on my "finds" shelf that $100 in change took up. Felt good to get it all cleared out once I did. But, to each their own. :cool:

Friend...The cleaning method I use is very simple.... white vinegar & salt.... rinse clean repeat and clean again.... use tap water to rinse ....air dry than vacuum seal ....If your goal is to cash in after cleaning than I find this process meaningless...

Thanks for all the replies.
I haven't tried salt with the vinegar yet. Might make me hungry for a salad, LOL.
The pennies I am done with.
The nickels I screwed around with for awhile. Some were nice already and the vinegar maybe shined them up a bit more. I was just kind of messing with a dremel i had, just for kicks, polished a few really quickly then put them back in the vinegar, and the tarnished right back up, isn't that weird? And why do some turn red and others don't? Nickels are weird. I don't think I'll make a habit out of cleaning clad, or at least break out a Dremel, LOL, but was just messing with them.
Now I started soaking the dimes. Again it is weird that some are so "rusty" looking. Probably the ones that were in the ground the longest. I'll put a little salt in the vinegar, I am soaking them for days at a time. I already pulled out the nicer looking dimes.

Back
Top Bottom