Money laundering...Rusults

andrewjames

Forum Supporter
Well the money kept flowing in and I had to figure out what to do with all this "dirty money," so asked the people that have been laundering money for years, the mob? no, I asked the Friendly MD Forum! The advice all pointed towards a rock tumbler, aquarium gravel, and dish soap. Here are the results from batch #1 after about 6 hours in the tumbler. I have a batch of pennies turning now and will post them when they are done. Because of your help this money gets a second chance to be money again!... that is until someone drops it, and it has to start the dirty cycle all over again! :money:

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,889
  • IMG_0897.jpg
    IMG_0897.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 2,859
  • IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 3,530
Batch #2 the pennies...

I've ran a small batch of pennies through next, and here are the results. It's important to do the pennies separate to avoid coloring your other coins. The Wheats are on the right of the "clean" photo. I only tumbled these for 2 hours to just remove the crust and leave the patina. Once again with the aquariaum gravel and about half a tablespoon of dish soap. I think they turned out great! They too get a second chance to be money again!

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,703
  • IMG_0901.jpg
    IMG_0901.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,712
My Conclusion: This process works great! The coins sustained very little to no damage from the process while all of the crust has been removed! some of the coins do maintain their color, but are definitely ready for circulation! I imagine that a stronger soap and a little more time may make them look like new. I'm going to try a little Ajax in the next batch to see what happens...

I don't bother tumbling anymore I just spend the dirty money or use it for change at my shop. I also enjoy spending it at the grocery store- the looks I get are priceless!

I don't bother tumbling anymore I just spend the dirty money or use it for change at my shop. I also enjoy spending it at the grocery store- the looks I get are priceless!
That's too funny! I bet the customers at your shop get a kick out of the recovered money!

Hey Andrew do you put any water in the tumbler? If so how much?
I have a tumbler with a 3lb capacity. I add about 1 cup of gravel, 1 cup of coins, half a tablespoon of dish soap, and add water to about half inch above the mix. This works pretty well and doesn't overload the tumbler. The pennies tend to be "crustier" so I change the water after the first hour of washing and tumble an additional 1-2 hours.

Last edited:
I have a tumbler with a 3lb capacity. I add about 1 cup of gravel, 1 cup of coins, half a tablespoon of dish soap, and add water to about half inch above the mix. This works pretty well and doesn't overload the tumbler. The pennies tend to be "crustier so I change the water after the first hour of washing and tumble an additional 1-2 hours.

Thanks. Good info.:coolpics:

I've ran a small batch of pennies through next, and here are the results. It's important to do the pennies separate to avoid coloring your other coins. The Wheats are on the right of the "clean" photo. I only tumbled these for 2 hours to just remove the crust and leave the patina. Once again with the aquariaum gravel and about half a tablespoon of dish soap. I think they turned out great! They too get a second chance to be money again!
i see a few wheaties in there!!!:D

Gravel???

Hey /b/:grin: i was thinking about getting a tumbler and was wondering how long you can reuse the gravel or if you even have to?

As for me. I think I'm just gonna toss out all the "Zinkies" that are too coroded and mis-shaped. Just not worth the work, But, I will get a tumbler to clean up all the other stuff. So I should NOT mix Nickles,dimes and Quarters with Pennies Eh? Niks,Dimes and Qtrs can all go together then I presume. Whats the advantage, other than less suds, from using dishwasher soap instead of "Sink dishwashing soap"? Does it do just as good, better or worse than normal dish soap? Used to have a two barrel tumbler but Grandma, my mother and myself have NO idea where it is. Been about 20 years since any of us have seen it and no one remembers selling it, so... Off to buy one.

I use a tumbler for mass cleaning of coins that have no value other than face value. I wouldn't use a tumber for coins that could be sold to collectors.
My only purpose for cleaning coins, especially quarters, is so they don't jam vending machine coin mechanisms. Just one laundry load for washer and dryer uses 12 quarters.

Back
Top Bottom