**update**cleaned ct civil war button

Hmm...do you have a few spare coins you could try removing the green crud off with? I have a token that has some, and I would like to see it removed like your button!

i can maybe dig out a few ih's and try it.but just warning you,that most copper coins that have this tough green crust on em are pitted underneath that green

i can maybe dig out a few ih's and try it.but just warning you,that most copper coins that have this tough green crust on em are pitted underneath that green

Ok....I don't really know what my token is made of, but after a failed attempt with worcestshire sauce on my V Nickel, I'm afraid to try any other cleanings...

Ok....I don't really know what my token is made of, but after a failed attempt with worcestshire sauce on my V Nickel, I'm afraid to try any other cleanings...
worcestershire sauce? :lol: these guys with their cleaning methods :roll: just buy a soft brass bristled brush and use soap and warm water on those nickels.you'll be amazed! i saw the v-nickel and it's not worth that much anyways in the condition it's in.
like the brush i have in the sink here ;) pack of 3 at wal-mart in the paint dept for $2.98 if the price is rolled back you can maybe get em for $2.96!

Attachments

• JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 010 [].jpg
    JAN 2 2011 CT CIVIL WAR BUTTON 010 [].jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 243
Thanks Dave....I need to try that on a 64 Jefferson that looks bad! :lol:

most v-nickels and buffs ain't worth much especially dug.if it's a key date then seek some professional advice but common ones it's not gonna hurt em trust me ;) the brass bristles are softer than nickel.i cleaned alot of nickels that were all red and oxidized.they look 100% better!

The button came out super. CLR gets used around the house from time to time, but for some reason I never tried it on old coins & relics. Just always used dish soap and a brass or nylon brush depending on the subject. Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

Great Job Dave.

The button is like night and day. I agree with not cleaning anymore...that is one fine example now. More cleaning could hurt the value.

Congrats on a great find...I'm still looking for my first Civil War button.

The button is like night and day. I agree with not cleaning anymore...that is one fine example now. More cleaning could hurt the value.

Congrats on a great find...I'm still looking for my first Civil War button.

thanks Dude! you'll get one in no time the way your diggin! ;)

Back
Top Bottom