Intro/Lost ring

reggielass

Good morning!
I'm glad to have found this forum! I'm not a hobbyist, but am trying to find a Claddagh ring that my daughter lost in our backyard last week. We've been loaned a Radio Shack detector and I was hoping to troll the forum to learn more about detecting before I get out there. If anyone has advice, I'd be grateful to hear it. I already followed one member's tip to post on lostmystuff.net

Now that I've read a few posts, I might be hooked. I've got an acre of land right here that used to be part of a farmstead. It could keep me distracted for weeks!

Take care,
Christina

Good morning!
I'm glad to have found this forum! I'm not a hobbyist, but am trying to find a Claddagh ring that my daughter lost in our backyard last week. We've been loaned a Radio Shack detector and I was hoping to troll the forum to learn more about detecting before I get out there. If anyone has advice, I'd be grateful to hear it. I already followed one member's tip to post on lostmystuff.net

Now that I've read a few posts, I might be hooked. I've got an acre of land right here that used to be part of a farmstead. It could keep me distracted for weeks!

Take care,
Christina

Should be very shallow if it was lost just last week, probably on top of the ground if it wasn't stepped on and pushed into the dirt.
If it is silver it should come in higher so you can use some discrimination and not be bothered by any iron, foil, tabs and smaller pieces of aluminum.
Some think that all silver will come in very high so you could max out the disc and still get it but this is not true.
Smaller rings, even silver, might come in lower like into the zinc area and other things affect these signals too like how it is laying in the dirt and things.
If it is not silver but zinc or something else it will come in lower.
Set your disc to get rid of at least iron and foil and when the thing sounds off look under the coil.
Many members here have found lots jewelry for lots of people over the years.
Sometimes it is exactly where the owner thought they lost it but many, many times it is found nowhere near that area but somewhere else.
Start in the area you think it is then expand your range if you don't find it.

Have fun...good luck.

If it's on top of the ground, there shouldn't be a whole lot of tips.

Find something very similar with the same metal an pass by the coil until you get an idea what sound you are looking for. Also try a couple other metals so you can hear the difference as different metals make different sounds normally.

Also the main tip I can give is the swing. Always keep the coil even to the ground, kind of rotate at the hips so to speak. Do not let the coil come up at the end of the swing. And overlap your coverage area. Grid out your backyard as well.

Welcome to the end of your free time.

The only thing I can add to what Digger said is to go slow, overlapping your swings and keep track of where you've been. I like to use golf tees to mark rows to help keep me from wandering off and missing spots.

Good luck with finding the ring.

First, Welcome from NH. I hope this will not be your only post.

What Digger and Big Treb said above. Take your time, don't expect to find it in 5 minutes.
Let us know how you make out. Oh yeah, we LOVE pics!!! ;)

GL&HH

Welcome! Just curious, where abouts are you located? I see that you received advice from a member there, but is there anyone else in that area that can actually come to your house and assist?

Good luck!

Don't be disappointed if you don't find it there. Most people who lose things actually lost them some place other than where they thought they did. A friend searched his yard for a lost ring and finally found it at some property that he owed across town.

Might post on http://www.lostmystuff.net/, a lot of us are members and you might have one close. They will help you look for it and probably give you some valuable pointers. GL Tom. PS welcome to the forum and a great hobby.
Update, just checked and you did report it. Sorry I was a little late anyways hope someone helps you out. I'm just a little too far.

Might post on http://www.lostmystuff.net/, a lot of us are members and you might have one close. They will help you look for it and probably give you some valuable pointers. GL Tom. PS welcome to the forum and a great hobby.
Update, just checked and you did report it. Sorry I was a little late anyways hope someone helps you out. I'm just a little too far.

No disrespect intended scout, but she noted in her post that she posted there already. I thought about it too, but it's a bit too far for me also.

Good morning!

Take care,
Christina

Welcome aboard, hopefully there is a better idea than the whole Acer the ring may be lost..
Where is here?

Back
Top Bottom