Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Coinshooters and Relic Hunters

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2021, 10:58 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default Dream permission! PIC HEAVY!! Continued updates!

I havent posted in awhile since I have been travelling a lot, snow birding, and other excuses, but we were able to obtain a months permission from a nearby ranch to hunt some mining towns on their property. We knew of some others that had hunted this place, but we didnt realize how LOADED this place was with coins and relics!

Ill let the pics speak for themselves.

Name:  20210422_171107 (2).jpg
Views: 736
Size:  78.0 KB
Silver Washington, and I became a member of the Capt Tims Ivory Stamp Club

Name:  20210424_185054.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  49.1 KB
1 sterling spoon at top. Not sure how some of the pics got flipped during the transfer

Name:  20210424_185100 (2).jpg
Views: 736
Size:  52.7 KB
Broken toy guns near the school location.

Name:  20210425_182202.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  48.5 KB
Belt buckle, miners tags, and broken sterling hair clip in same area.

Name:  20210425_190001 (2).jpg
Views: 726
Size:  46.0 KB
1916 25 cent Belgie German occupation token from Belgium (zinc)

Name:  20210427_162547_Burst01 (2).jpg
Views: 735
Size:  93.9 KB
1918D SLQ, 14K masons pin, and someone shot the American Legion badge?

Name:  20210428_170617_Burst01.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  67.2 KB
Miners tokens, company thimble, and general service button that predates town. There were indian battles in the area, but Im not sure if this was from a previous military camp.

Name:  20210428_171036.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  67.4 KB
Lock, caps, the Canadians were here, many harmonica reeds, old 45/?? casing.

Name:  20210429_163708.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  81.4 KB
Silver ring, 1943D Merc, buttons, tokens, Egyptian spoon?

Name:  20210430_160130 (2).jpg
Views: 723
Size:  67.8 KB
Miners tokens (the square one is from another townsites mine), WWI or II general service button, token, rubbed date buff.

Ive only been here 6 times. Many signals, so I leave the iffy signals alone for now. EVERYTHING is at least 65 years old, with very few exceptions and they havent been coins. One of the owners said there is a bottle dump nearby. Sorry about some of the pics.....stinkin phone camera!

The big problem is that they just seeded this area, so our days might be cut short. There are other places we can hunt nearby, but nothing like this!

Thanks for looking, and HH!

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!


Last edited by TommyJay; 05-03-2021 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Continually updated
Reply With Quote


2 members found this post helpful.
  #2  
Old 05-02-2021, 11:44 PM
georgeinsc's Avatar
georgeinsc georgeinsc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Ladson SC
Posts: 3,590
Default

Been wondering what you been up to and now i see you been Digging. Very nice bunch of finds.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-02-2021, 11:49 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,902
Smile

Congrats on all those neat coins! Fantastic hunt!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2021: 24 Clad coins ($1.51) ~ 1 Wheat ~ 2 Silver Coins
Totals: 733 Clad Coins ($47.65) ~ Wheats: 4 ~ Silver Coins: 2

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:13 AM
pescadore's Avatar
pescadore pescadore is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schertz, TX
Posts: 6,950
Default

Nice Hunts and Finds !!! Hit it while you can.

__________________
Nokta Simplex + WHP and Pulsedive Pinpointer
Oldest US coin 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-03-2021, 01:55 AM
Chroma Chroma is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: East TN
Posts: 32
Default

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun!
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-03-2021, 02:33 AM
Metal Pig's Avatar
Metal Pig Metal Pig is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Southwest Pennsylvania
Posts: 332
Default

Coooool beans, my man. Nice finds.
You know, I live in a former coal mining town.
My ranch style house was built in 1930 for an administrator. There were two mines worked by the first residents here. 1. The Monarch, across the valley, and 2. The Bessimer, a mile up the road. I know Bessimer was a name that reached far and wide in mining and railroads. I guess Monarch had a much farther and wider reach than I thought. I thought that was just here.

Most of the mines are on private property. There are still others stringing off into the distant hills. Ive often wondered whether hunting around them would just be mostly a big dirty salvage mission, with nothing but buckets of iron scrap and hot rocks. But youve given me new hope. Any chance you would post some.photos of the site? I'm kind of curious if it bears any similarty to here. If it does, then it would seem worth it to organize a little hunting trip here. There is a town park about 15min from here where there was a mine entrance. I can get to it by parking on park grounds. Maybe worth a look if this is what youre pulling out of your site.

Question: How old is your mine? Mine dates to the 1800s..my neighborhood was built in the 20's when production was highest. Ceased in the 50s after modern tech raped it to the core and it began to dry out. Interesting, your ethnic items, Egyptian spoon, etc. There were alot of foreigners here too. The only resident of my town to die in the mines was a Russian. This place was crawling with Eastern Europeans.That adds some mystique to the hunt, doesnt it?

__________________
Makro Gold Kruzer, Tesoro Bandido micromax, Tesoro Silver Sabre micromax, Nokta Simplex, Nokta pointer, Whites digging trowel

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #7  
Old 05-03-2021, 08:43 AM
JAK's Avatar
JAK JAK is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern, PA
Posts: 5,782
Default

Congrats! You got yourself a good location with just about a little bit of everything to be found.

__________________
Equinox 800

Oldest coin: 1760 Colonial Half Penny; Oldest US coin: 1787 NJ Copper; Oldest US silver coin: 1811/09 Capped Bust Dime; 2019 FTY Clad: $1,347.59; 2020 FTY Clad: $1,635.36
Most coin record amounts found on one single various of days: Quarters-165; Dimes-103; Nickels-53. 2021 FTY Silvers: 14

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:11 AM
markinswpa's Avatar
markinswpa markinswpa is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pittsburgh Pa.
Posts: 3,294
Default

Wow a whole season of finds in a short time, congrats on the shiny and some great hunting TommyJay. Beautiful SLQ. Good luck, Mark

__________________
Equinox 800
2021 -Silver 30 -IHPs 9 -Wheaties 67 -Tokens 7
-Buffs 5 - Vs 2 - Sterling - Clad-40.48

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:14 PM
Silverhorse65 Silverhorse65 is online now
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Iowa
Posts: 154
Default

Really enjoyed looking through your pics, keep 'em coming! Thanks!
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:22 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 14,353
Default

A lot of loot👍

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:56 PM
coin whisperer's Avatar
coin whisperer coin whisperer is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Danville,Va
Posts: 16,434
Default

Killer finds!!! That 1918 D SLQ is a scarce one!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

__________________
YTD 2021 (92Wheaties (4)IHP (1)Buff (2)V Nickle (0)War Nickle (19)Silver coins (0)Silver jewelry (0) Gold jewelry Oldest Coin: 1874 IHP

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
Been wondering what you been up to and now i see you been Digging. Very nice bunch of finds.
Thank you, George, and yes, Id rather be diggin!

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Congrats on all those neat coins! Fantastic hunt!
Thanks Wolf!

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
Nice Hunts and Finds !!! Hit it while you can.
Thank you

Originally Posted by Chroma View post
Wow, that looks like a lot of fun!
Thank you

Originally Posted by Metal Pig View post
Coooool beans, my man. Nice finds.
You know, I live in a former coal mining town.
My ranch style house was built in 1930 for an administrator. There were two mines worked by the first residents here. 1. The Monarch, across the valley, and 2. The Bessimer, a mile up the road. I know Bessimer was a name that reached far and wide in mining and railroads. I guess Monarch had a much farther and wider reach than I thought. I thought that was just here.

Most of the mines are on private property. There are still others stringing off into the distant hills. Ive often wondered whether hunting around them would just be mostly a big dirty salvage mission, with nothing but buckets of iron scrap and hot rocks. But youve given me new hope. Any chance you would post some.photos of the site? I'm kind of curious if it bears any similarty to here. If it does, then it would seem worth it to organize a little hunting trip here. There is a town park about 15min from here where there was a mine entrance. I can get to it by parking on park grounds. Maybe worth a look if this is what youre pulling out of your site.

Question: How old is your mine? Mine dates to the 1800s..my neighborhood was built in the 20's when production was highest. Ceased in the 50s after modern tech raped it to the core and it began to dry out. Interesting, your ethnic items, Egyptian spoon, etc. There were alot of foreigners here too. The only resident of my town to die in the mines was a Russian. This place was crawling with Eastern Europeans.That adds some mystique to the hunt, doesnt it?
Thank you. This mining town was started in 1903. In 1904 it had 50-60 homes, and by the mid 50s, the mines were closed. Everything here is OLD, but I did find a zinc penny today that was probably dropped by one of the ranch hands.

Originally Posted by JAK View post
Congrats! You got yourself a good location with just about a little bit of everything to be found.
Thanks JAK

Originally Posted by markinswpa View post
Wow a whole season of finds in a short time, congrats on the shiny and some great hunting TommyJay. Beautiful SLQ. Good luck, Mark
Thank you, Mark

Originally Posted by Silverhorse65 View post
Really enjoyed looking through your pics, keep 'em coming! Thanks!
Thank you, Im loading up more today!

Originally Posted by metaladdict View post
A lot of loot👍
Thank you

Originally Posted by coin whisperer View post
Killer finds!!! That 1918 D SLQ is a scarce one!!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks coin. I have found only 3, and two have dates!

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!

Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:42 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Todays update....

We spent several hours at the mine townsite today, and I decided to focus on one side of what was Main St, which is now part of the ranch road. Old pic shows that a row of houses faced the road. I only walked in about 50' on each pass of a grid. The coins and relics seemed to be hot in a 200' section along the road, but the junk is all over.

We are concerned about losing this area because they seeded it with wheat the other day, but so far no one has told us to back off since it was done. A ranch foreman stopped by wanting to know if we had the trespass pass that allows us to be there, once I indicated that we did, he went on his way. I dont think they are too concerned about a couple of guys digging holes here and there, but we DO practice better than normal reclamation. It might change when the sprouts start to show.

Here are the finds from today:

Name:  20210503_162053.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  63.3 KB
Todays silvers: 1897, 1914D Barber dimes, 1946D Rosie

Name:  20210503_162337 (2).jpg
Views: 570
Size:  54.4 KB
1903 & 1909 V nickels, 1916D Buff, 1891, 1901, & 1907 IHPs, and all of the wheaties except for one are in the teens years.

Name:  20210503_162601.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  69.2 KB
3 miners tags, one from a different mine, ornate cap, button, ring bezel?, and a thimble with the words "Breakfast Call Coffee" on it, with a clay marble stuck in the bottom. Not sure if it is silver, and part of me doesnt want to take the marble out to see.

Heading back tomorrow to work that area again. Still trying to figure out why the pics post upside down when theyre right side up when i upload them off of my phone to my PC

Thanks for looking, and HH!

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 05-04-2021, 10:02 AM
Tpmetal Tpmetal is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1,566
Default

sounds like you have a great spot there!
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 05-04-2021, 08:11 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
sounds like you have a great spot there!
Thank you. Theres a lot of area to cover.

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Went back to the mining townsite for a little bit until the rain chased us off. It was still enough time to dig some more coins and relics.

Name:  20210504_141756.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  62.1 KB

The 1929S merc was the highlight, the pocket watch will find the bin (for some reason there are quite a few here. this is my 4th), 1916D, 1917D, 1944D, & 1946D wheats, 2 buttons, old bullet casing, token with N5Y on the face, but nothing on the reverse. Cant find anything online about it including the token catalog. Back at it again maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for looking, and HH!

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 05-04-2021, 09:38 PM
Tom_in_CA's Avatar
Tom_in_CA Tom_in_CA is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 14,596
Default

This is a great play-by-play. And just goes to show : There's still spots out there giving up "4-star signals" @ cool stuff.

So crazy to see other posts of beginners, in some city, tearing their hair out because all they can find is corroded zinc and clad. They're at some sorry-sad-pathetic park. You want to say to them : "location location location". And this is proof of that !
Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 05-05-2021, 02:12 AM
Kellyco Kellyco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 47
Default

BEAUTIFUL haul! American Legion badge is a real mystery.
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 05-05-2021, 03:17 AM
VA-REB's Avatar
VA-REB VA-REB is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,412
Default

What does the back of the general services eagle button look like?

__________________
XP Deus, Vance headphones, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Pointer, Pro Pointer,

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 05-05-2021, 10:51 PM
TommyJay's Avatar
TommyJay TommyJay is online now
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View post
This is a great play-by-play. And just goes to show : There's still spots out there giving up "4-star signals" @ cool stuff.

So crazy to see other posts of beginners, in some city, tearing their hair out because all they can find is corroded zinc and clad. They're at some sorry-sad-pathetic park. You want to say to them : "location location location". And this is proof of that !
Thanks Tom. Love the older dirt!

Originally Posted by Kellyco View post
BEAUTIFUL haul! American Legion badge is a real mystery.
Thanks, and it is!

Originally Posted by VA-REB View post
What does the back of the general services eagle button look like?
Large modern button: The shank is bent, so I cant see the company letters on top, but the bottom part says Providence RI

Smaller older button: something MANN PHILIDELPHIA

__________________
Coinmaster 3000; Prizm IV; X-terra 705; TreasurePro; Equinox 800
Ball parks are my friends!

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.