Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM

Default Underwater Detector

I am looking for recommendations on an underwater metal detector. I live by a freshwater lake that I can use it in but mainly I would love to use it at the beach when I go to visit. Ultimately I would like something that works good in both but I understand in my price range I may not get the best of both worlds. Does anyone have any recommendations in the $150-200 range?

Old 05-02-2021, 11:17 PM
Supporter

Simplex might be the closest you can come to what you're looking for. Waterproof and can work on both fresh and salt water. Manual ground balance to zero in salt water and it should perform well enough for you...It's about $100 more than your budget will allow. However, I did see a used one for sale on this site. You should check it out...

Old 05-03-2021, 12:19 AM
Elite Member

Hard to get a decent machine in your price range especially for water hunting. I have the Simplex and it is a good machine. I have over double your price range in my Simplex and accessories. It is submersible to 10 feet. I hunt freshwater rivers in the summer 90% of the time. I have also had the Simplex at the beach one time and no complaints.

www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by CalReg View post
Simplex might be the closest you can come to what you're looking for. Waterproof and can work on both fresh and salt water. Manual ground balance to zero in salt water and it should perform well enough for you...It's about $100 more than your budget will allow. However, I did see a used one for sale on this site. You should check it out...
I got my Simplex new-used (barely touched!) for $187. Also got my waterproof and equally immaculate but.lightly used Makro Gold Kruzer for $418. If youre willing to wake up at 2:30 am and sign on ebay like a spy, you just might find the 1/3 off deals I did. I was watching them and set my alarm accordingly. You might find a used Anfibio or Multikruzer for $350 or better if youre lucky.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:45 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
Hard to get a decent machine in your price range especially for water hunting. I have the Simplex and it is a good machine. I have over double your price range in my Simplex and accessories. It is submersible to 10 feet. I hunt freshwater rivers in the summer 90% of the time. I have also had the Simplex at the beach one time and no complaints.
Yeah it would be hard to find a waterproof detector for that low but maybe used if you're real diligent??

Old 05-03-2021, 09:25 PM

Pescadore, please describe some of your river hunting.
Curious about depth, currents, etc. What makes one river preferable to another?

When warm weather finally arrives here in Michigan i plan to concentrate on lakes and rivers.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by John Madill View post
Pescadore, please describe some of your river hunting.
Curious about depth, currents, etc. What makes one river preferable to another?

When warm weather finally arrives here in Michigan i plan to concentrate on lakes and rivers.
I snorkel mostly but I am a certified diver. I sold most of my scuba stuff off a few years back because I didn't know anyone to buddy up with. I wish I had it back now. We have several rivers around us that get a lot of tubing traffic in the summer. The currents vary in the rivers I hunt but I am too old and out of shape to fight heavy current so I stay to calmer areas. I have used scoops but they are pretty much worthless in most areas around here because the bottoms are mostly solid rock. To me what determines what river I hunt is the amount of swimming or tubing traffic it gets.

www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips. Looks like I will be watching ebay for some good deals or save up a little bit more before I buy.