Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM
gtluver05 gtluver05 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default Underwater Detector

I am looking for recommendations on an underwater metal detector. I live by a freshwater lake that I can use it in but mainly I would love to use it at the beach when I go to visit. Ultimately I would like something that works good in both but I understand in my price range I may not get the best of both worlds. Does anyone have any recommendations in the $150-200 range?
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-02-2021, 11:17 PM
CalReg CalReg is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 663
Default

Simplex might be the closest you can come to what you're looking for. Waterproof and can work on both fresh and salt water. Manual ground balance to zero in salt water and it should perform well enough for you...It's about $100 more than your budget will allow. However, I did see a used one for sale on this site. You should check it out...

__________________
MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-03-2021, 12:19 AM
pescadore's Avatar
pescadore pescadore is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schertz, TX
Posts: 6,950
Default

Hard to get a decent machine in your price range especially for water hunting. I have the Simplex and it is a good machine. I have over double your price range in my Simplex and accessories. It is submersible to 10 feet. I hunt freshwater rivers in the summer 90% of the time. I have also had the Simplex at the beach one time and no complaints.

__________________
Nokta Simplex + WHP and Pulsedive Pinpointer
Oldest US coin 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:10 AM
Metal Pig's Avatar
Metal Pig Metal Pig is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Southwest Pennsylvania
Posts: 332
Default

Originally Posted by CalReg View post
Simplex might be the closest you can come to what you're looking for. Waterproof and can work on both fresh and salt water. Manual ground balance to zero in salt water and it should perform well enough for you...It's about $100 more than your budget will allow. However, I did see a used one for sale on this site. You should check it out...
I got my Simplex new-used (barely touched!) for $187. Also got my waterproof and equally immaculate but.lightly used Makro Gold Kruzer for $418. If youre willing to wake up at 2:30 am and sign on ebay like a spy, you just might find the 1/3 off deals I did. I was watching them and set my alarm accordingly. You might find a used Anfibio or Multikruzer for $350 or better if youre lucky.

__________________
Makro Gold Kruzer, Tesoro Bandido micromax, Tesoro Silver Sabre micromax, Nokta Simplex, Nokta pointer, Whites digging trowel

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #5  
Old 05-03-2021, 03:45 PM
metaladdict's Avatar
metaladdict metaladdict is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Santa Rosa,Ca
Posts: 14,353
Default

Originally Posted by pescadore View post
Hard to get a decent machine in your price range especially for water hunting. I have the Simplex and it is a good machine. I have over double your price range in my Simplex and accessories. It is submersible to 10 feet. I hunt freshwater rivers in the summer 90% of the time. I have also had the Simplex at the beach one time and no complaints.
Yeah it would be hard to find a waterproof detector for that low but maybe used if you're real diligent??

__________________
Detectors. Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250.. Equinox 800. Stavr scoop!
Life member of Ring keepers! John 14:6. Luke15:8-10
Oldest U.S. coin 1883 penny.

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-03-2021, 09:25 PM
John Madill John Madill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 366
Default

Pescadore, please describe some of your river hunting.
Curious about depth, currents, etc. What makes one river preferable to another?

When warm weather finally arrives here in Michigan i plan to concentrate on lakes and rivers.

__________________
Simplex+, Vanquish 540, Nokta pulsdive, Garrett carrot

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-03-2021, 10:26 PM
pescadore's Avatar
pescadore pescadore is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Schertz, TX
Posts: 6,950
Default

Originally Posted by John Madill View post
Pescadore, please describe some of your river hunting.
Curious about depth, currents, etc. What makes one river preferable to another?

When warm weather finally arrives here in Michigan i plan to concentrate on lakes and rivers.
I snorkel mostly but I am a certified diver. I sold most of my scuba stuff off a few years back because I didn't know anyone to buddy up with. I wish I had it back now. We have several rivers around us that get a lot of tubing traffic in the summer. The currents vary in the rivers I hunt but I am too old and out of shape to fight heavy current so I stay to calmer areas. I have used scoops but they are pretty much worthless in most areas around here because the bottoms are mostly solid rock. To me what determines what river I hunt is the amount of swimming or tubing traffic it gets.

__________________
Nokta Simplex + WHP and Pulsedive Pinpointer
Oldest US coin 1853 Seated Liberty Quarter
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.youtube.com/user/pescadoremetaldetect

Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #8  
Old 05-05-2021, 03:38 PM
gtluver05 gtluver05 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks everyone for the tips. Looks like I will be watching ebay for some good deals or save up a little bit more before I buy.
Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.