End of the Earth! Yooperlites and Silver!

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Its hard for me to type this up....So much happened in such a short amount of time...So last weekend me and the Wife had an invitation to hunt the Upper Peninsula of Mich with Forum Brother Yooper69...so yeah...Once in a Lifetime, you gotta go!

Well, we arrived Friday night just before Sunset, long haul, Me and Mike went to get a pizza for the girls...during the wait, Mike fired up his NOX 800 and hit this little curbstrip...BOOM! first target dug, Silver Wash Q! OK, that was cool enough but after we ate the pizza, we all headed over to a dark and stormy desolate Lake Superior beach to hunt for Yooperlites in Misery Bay! Mike and Terri, their 2 young daughters, me and Pam...

The wind was howling onshore 60! you couldnt light a smoke with a highway flare! The waves were cold and crashing malevolently, like stumbling through an icy fire hose car wash on boulders with a metal trash can over your head, and some evil drummer sitting on your shoulders wailing away with ballpeen hammers!!

I doubt Helen Keller ever seen dark like this! Anthracite coal mine underground dark! The roar alone was like Cape Canaveral on a launch day!! But against my better judgement, we all went down there none the less and fired up the black lights! Holy freaking Moly! Yooperlights!

If I had to even try to describe the experience, it was like a grunion run on Planet Avatar, only lots colder, and with no hot blue half naked chicks or flying dragons that I noticed.....The Yooperlites glow under the black light, and you have to be quick to snatch them up before a roller takes you off the beach or goes over the top of your boots! Misery Bay is aptly named I can tell you!...

OK..we all got out of there alive with our bags of rocks, which is a victory in and of itself considering theres Wolves and Bears and Moose and Bigfoots and Northern Hillbillys...Let alone the frigging weather!...

Then, the next morning, Me and Yoop ditched the girls and went on a curbstrip silver safari! Da Yoop pulled 3 dimes! I of course as usual, got nothing but clad.

Then, me and the Wife had to leave the very next morning, but we hit Petosky on the way home for some fossils....

!t was a real bounce dive to the end of the Earth....Me and the Wife had a blast with Yoops hospitality and Wonderful Family!...It was about one of the most memorable events in our Life!...Like I said, something this monumental and amazing is hard to describe....you really gotta be there, with the wind blowing 60 in the dead of night on a wild vacant coastline....

It was too much of a sensory overload for poor little me!! Plus, the morning we left in a blowing snowstorm! I was never so happy to see the MKG exit on 96 in my Life! I'm still shaking....:laughing: My Wife is 10yrs older than me and absolutely LOVED the Trip and night hunt for rocks!! She is such a rockhound! She didnt want to leave the beach despite the less than balmy conditions!

I was stumbling along besides her, trying to hold her rock bag in the screaming gale, even half full of rocks it was blowing out sideways like a box kite! Like a trick or treater in a Texas tornado, And shes snatching rocks and hollering over the roar, "Dammit! Whats wrong with you? Hold still wouldja?" All the while snatching and throwing rocks at me like I'm some sort of carnival toy to knock off a shelf...:laughing:

Thanks Mike! Although, I coulda stayed home nice and safe and did my normal Stadium run for cans and clad! Heck, its not as exciting or dangerous, buy hey, free popcorn, safe and calm under the bleachers, I can hunt in that kind of weather! :laughing:

Attachments

• pizza.jpg
    pizza.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 733
  • pizza-2.jpg
    pizza-2.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 656
  • pizza-4.jpg
    pizza-4.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 685
  • yooper lite.jpg
    yooper lite.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 679
  • yooper lite-1.jpg
    yooper lite-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 677
  • pizza-3.jpg
    pizza-3.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 666
Last edited:
Good stuff, sounds like good times! Nice to get together for stuff like that.

"The wind was howling onshore 60! you couldnt light a smoke with a highway flare! The waves were cold and crashing malevolently, it was pitch black as Helen Keller in a coal mine shaft!..The roar alone was like a Jet engine! But we all went down there none the less and fired up the black lights! Holy freaking Moly! Yooperlights! "

^ Awesome, every bit of it...

<°)))>{

Thanks Guys! Yeah, I learned something too! As we were curbstripping, Mike would have me come check a signal with my NOX 800..we had them both set up the same, and I was amazed at how I have not been listening right for the deep old silver targets, on account of me being a shallow cladstabber for all these years...so I got to upgrade my skills and see Mike work that rig right!...

It was a fellowship that would not have happened if it wasnt for this Friendly Forum...Great people and friendships and skilled hunters available here....

:laughing: Thanks for the classic M-P post! Glad to hear a good time was had by all. Seeing how you're writing skills are still sharp, I'd say your recovery is going well too. :laughing:
Congrats Y-69 on the silvers and all the rest!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: I can’t quit :laughing::laughing: Definitely a great time! Going to be tough dealing with 5-6 months of snow and no detecting except for those snow plowed piles in the parking lots . Chances of silver goes way down. Next year we will have to get us some 6 inch coils might be a little easier to get a target in between all the other targets. Looking forward to you two coming up next year. Maybe we will get lucky and find one of those containers of silver dollars . Stopped at curb strip for a quit 30 minute hunt and got a 41 Merc tonight .

Nothing better than shared experiences with like minded people. I know of the blessings of which you speak. Happy for you John, to still have those wants to live your life just a little on the edge and to build cherish memories with family and friends. Hey that little "Nox" info will give you a little more edge. My seasons are coming fast. Starts on the 27th. Trapper

Mud I enjoyed that adverture. I felt like I was right there beside you wearing my flip fllops, swim trunks, and drinking a cold one. I like to have froze my xxx off. The rocks are cool. A new adventure for sure.

"The wind was howling onshore 60! you couldnt light a smoke with a highway flare! The waves were cold and crashing malevolently, it was pitch black as Helen Keller in a coal mine shaft!..The roar alone was like a Jet engine! But we all went down there none the less and fired up the black lights! Holy freaking Moly! Yooperlights! "

^ Awesome, every bit of it...

<°)))>{

OMG I couldn’t agree more!! Mud you are awesome with words!! :laughing:

You really know how to paint a picture brother.
Now I must go back and read it once more just for fun🙂.
Sounded like we were on the same side of the lake yesterday.

,Frw

Mud,

Love your accounts!

My wife and I made a trip to Copper Harbor in early September. As our trips usually go, we stop at various resale shops. Happened to stop at one just north of Petoskey on the way north and got into a conversation with the cashier about out plans. Longer story short, she and her husband go camping late September looking for agates, etc... only this year it was to be for the Yooperlites. I tried my best to find a black light in Petoskey, with no luck so I didn't have opportunity to search for them.

Really glad you were able to hook up with Yooper69 and brave the wilds of Lake Superior. That is some beautiful county that I am ready to return to!

Was able to do a bit of detecting in one of the abandoned mines up by Copper Harbor and did find some embedded copper in some of the tailings.

Next time I intend to have the black light and spend more time looking for copper.

Mud,

Love your accounts!

My wife and I made a trip to Copper Harbor in early September. As our trips usually go, we stop at various resale shops. Happened to stop at one just north of Petoskey on the way north and got into a conversation with the cashier about out plans. Longer story short, she and her husband go camping late September looking for agates, etc... only this year it was to be for the Yooperlites. I tried my best to find a black light in Petoskey, with no luck so I didn't have opportunity to search for them.

Really glad you were able to hook up with Yooper69 and brave the wilds of Lake Superior. That is some beautiful county that I am ready to return to!

Was able to do a bit of detecting in one of the abandoned mines up by Copper Harbor and did find some embedded copper in some of the tailings.

Next time I intend to have the black light and spend more time looking for copper.
Just give a shout if you head up . Sure I can point you in the right direction. Look on amazon for a Black UV light . Get at least a hundred lumens.

Back
Top Bottom