Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Kellyco Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 04-18-2019, 07:16 AM
Elite Member

I hit parks at night in the summer months when it's too hot and am surprised at how many people are out doing just regular park stuff, especially the ones surrounded by houses.One group was playing soccer and got serious enough that the parks dept gave them permission and lights. It has turned into a midnight soccer league for Mexican restaurants. They take the whole family at first I thought it wasn't right having little kids up at 2am, but they are working long hours an have to get family time when they can. The parks dept here has their own police force. Park Rangers that are full fledged, armed cops. Several of our parks have gates that are locked at night but since there is only a couple of guys to lock different gates you never know if it's going to be locked up at 10pm or midnight. They will stop you but mainly to make sure your car doesn't get locked in. You can drink a cold beer in the park or have a picnic with a bottle of wine legally in a few of our parks, where it is not legal you need a brown paper bag. They draw the line at loud music, fighting and shooting. Old men with metal detectors are a low priority.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:40 AM

I'm retired and don't see a need for night hunting, I'm sure theres plenty who do, but it wouldn't feel right, especially in the cemetery! 8^)

Old 04-18-2019, 11:55 AM

I love night hunting. I would prefer it over any other time. It's quiet, peaceful and nobody bothers us. We have had the law show up a few times due to a passerby seeing out small light. Each encounter with the law was a good one. I can't find any reason not to do night hunting.

Sent from Tapatalk

Bounty Hunter II, Bounty Hunter IV, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Carrot

Old 04-18-2019, 12:51 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tpmetal View post
when ever i have the time/strength left after a day I do. I am in the middle of no where, no human interactions night hunting. Problems with big ass yotes they call coywolves though.
Yep, pretty gruesome looking creatures! I found this carcas in a field not far from a road.I only pictured the head, the torso is a little gruesome, and probably not appropriate for a friendly forum. Ive run into a couple during the night hours, thankfully both times, they went the other way, and seemed more scared of me than I of them. Luckily, they didn't inspect my trousers I used to hunt every night. Now I switched positions at work and havent hunted at night in about a year or so. Airmettango's advice was really good, stuffwrists too.
Attached Images

☆Buff&V's-3~Gold-5~Clad:$4.23☆

Old 04-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Elite Member

I've hit the beach in the dark several times but now wait until a hour or two before/after dawn/sunset. As already mentioned in this thread more and more creepies out and about anymore and I'm not looking for trouble. Even had a few approach me in full daylight! yikes!

Old 04-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
I enjoy night hunting, usually in the ocean. I have a ball cap with 3 leds built in to the brim, only turn it on when i already have the target in the scoop, and as soon as i grab the target i click the lights off again, usually less than 30 seconds. If you make a habit of always facing out to ocean when you do this the few people on the beach have no idea you are even out there. I've seen some interesting things happening on the beach at night...
"In the Ocean" ? Hey, your a brave hunter Zeemang! Too many things with pointy teeth.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:17 PM

We used to have a nice safe little town but to tell you the truth there are a lot of areas in our town that I prefer a hunting partner in the daytime much less at night. I would not do night hunting in very many spots around here. It's not the same world I grew up in.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:09 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by tinsmith View post
"In the Ocean" ? Hey, your a brave hunter Zeemang! Too many things with pointy teeth.
Last shark attack recorded in my state was in 1913, far more worried about stingrays. I have been hit twice hard enough to see a doctor and be on antibiotics and grazed a few other times.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:41 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by zeemang View post
Last shark attack recorded in my state was in 1913, far more worried about stingrays. I have been hit twice hard enough to see a doctor and be on antibiotics and grazed a few other times.
Used to dive, fish, drink beer and hang around the Fl. East coast when I was young. Late 80s. I remember having to do the shuffle with my feet because of those dang rays while walking in the shallows fishing for Reds n Trout. Lots of stingers down there.