Whats the best value GO Pro set up?

Take a look at the JVC “quad proof” video cameras. They are fully water proof and have the flip out screen which is nice to see what your recording. The screen also rotates forward facing so you can film yourself talking and see what your doing. Me and a buddy both use them.

Go-pro was my only bad investment in 2017. I really thought they were going somewhere. They went somewhere.... straight down.

I looked into waterproof cameras and ended up with a Fugi xp90. Its waterproof to 50 foot without having to use a case and seems to be a rugged little camera. It uses the standard tripod screw in mount and with a twisty tripod I have been able to mount it anywhere.
I think the go pro's only advantage is all the different mounts available. I have been happy with my fugi. If I knew what all the settings are for and how to use them it would probably be better, but just pushing the button gets video like this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg4VmR7WyEY

Good info guys thanks! Will be purchasing one when taxes come in, would like to go with something field tested and proven, rather than just going out and purchasing the first name brand that comes to mind... Appreciate it!

I have the Xiaomi Yi action camera. It's the same as the go pro except without the brand name mark up. Most go pro accessories (except for the waterproof case) will fit on the Yi. It's about 1/2 to 1/3 The price of the go pro too. I've filmed fish swimming around underwater with mine and the quality is pretty good

It all depends on just what where and how you are going to use the camera. Just on land, in the water, apt to drop it, for stills, video or both audio? How much control do you want over the camera? The ease of capture, transfer of info, battery life, zoom, presets etc. should all be considered

Originally (5 years ago) I was going to go GoPro, but no screen, hard to capture still, "fish eye" and many other downers with the GoPro3 so I went with a much better and versatile all around Pentax WG3-GPS.

The GoPro is up to the 6 and the Sessions is even smaller. The Pentax is up to the WG-50.

Just my luck I found a GoPro3 and it works! Not bad, but I still use the Pentax most of the time. The GoPro is a great camera that I keep in the car and don't worry about "loosing" it...easy come easy go. A fun camera, but not near as versatile as the Pentax offers...my research was correct.

Attachments

• addon1.jpg
    addon1.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 383
  • addon.jpg
    addon.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 379
I like the floor hero session 4. Picked mine up used for 100.
In or out of water no special case needed. No muffled audio from a regular gopro with a water proof case.
The latest isn't always the greatest =)

When I bought mine took it to Starbucks and dropped it in a Vento ice water for 10 min. Ran like a champ but the cold cold water made it think battery was shorter while at 40 degrees lol

I have the GoPro Hero 5 Sessions, it takes awesome videos.....am planning on filming hunts this year with it. I just have to get my coil over something worth filming lol

Very good info here folks thanks for sharing! I will be doing mostly woods and park filming but there is a chance the camera could get wet. Ive been in talks with a few other hunters in the area about doing a channel that will include private permissions and other sites as well. I will need various mounting options because I may not always have others to hold the camera. The new go pro 6 does look really good though! 4K at 60 fps... Plus the new stabilization tech they put in there...I will continue to look at all the options listed and make a choice when the time comes, I really appreciate the help everyone!

Just a FYI that I didn’t realize till I did my first video but you can have the best HD footage but when you put it on YouTube the video quality gets down graded. Kind of sucks really. I have copies of my videos in true HD and when they are on YouTube it’s totally different picture quality. :roll:

Questions on using Hero3's

I found a deal on a couple Hero 3's on CL that needed repairs (easy - new LCD replacement on one, adjust focus on the other). They came with a bunch of types of housings and attachments. My problem is the audio - too weak volume. What do you guys do about it? Is this weak audio true even for the Hero5 or 6? The external mic input (USB) seems to take both L and R mics for stereo but the mic adapters for the most part are for one mic. And then there is the task of making it water resistant. I bought a couple lapel mics off ebay but haven't tried them yet. Worth trying to do stereo?
I tried some shots using a cap mount and they looked good but I probably looked pretty curious.

I found a deal on a couple Hero 3's on CL that needed repairs (easy - new LCD replacement on one, adjust focus on the other). They came with a bunch of types of housings and attachments. My problem is the audio - too weak volume. What do you guys do about it? Is this weak audio true even for the Hero5 or 6? The external mic input (USB) seems to take both L and R mics for stereo but the mic adapters for the most part are for one mic. And then there is the task of making it water resistant. I bought a couple lapel mics off ebay but haven't tried them yet. Worth trying to do stereo?
I tried some shots using a cap mount and they looked good but I probably looked pretty curious.

The audio is why I stayed away from GoPro. Now I’m not sure if the newer ones are better but when they are in the waterproof case it sucked. I have a GoPro and don’t use it. I may though for video footage where your not talking or whatever.

I have an old go pro and bunch of accessories that I would sell you dirt cheap. Ex made me buy it and she is gone, so now it just sits. Or I would trade it for a neat silver coin or something. Or you can just have it haha.

I have an old go pro and bunch of accessories that I would sell you dirt cheap. Ex made me buy it and she is gone, so now it just sits. Or I would trade it for a neat silver coin or something. Or you can just have it haha.

What model is it? I'd be willing to pay for it...

Here’s a pic of my go pro hero session..2 hour record time,internal rechargeable battery,wireless transfer from go pro to computer,one button on and off to record,,waterproof,really small and takes the clearest videos I’ve seen yet,very simple and gets the job done.
The headband case is shown,I also have the chest mount and a extendable antenna mount.really cool but I haven’t used it but in the house...but the actual go pro is so small out of the headset that you could carry it anywhere,just pull it out of your pocket,hit the record button and film whatever that fast.

Attachments

• FF9CDB4C-309F-433C-A04C-8B1575819537.jpg
    FF9CDB4C-309F-433C-A04C-8B1575819537.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 417
  • 10A460FC-1A4E-4DCF-B262-52856F6741A9.jpg
    10A460FC-1A4E-4DCF-B262-52856F6741A9.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 375
Here’s the Hero 5 Session Jeff. The quarters for size reference...
There are options out there,the GoPro is all I’ve ever used for it’s simplicity and like Woodbutcher said,transferring footage is a snap. As with anything,LEARNING how to use it effectively is key. The older Hero 3 and 4 needed the skeleton back door to get the audio to come through properly,no voicing or ambient sound is going to get through a waterproof housing. I didn’t discover that for a little while when I had mine,but when I did it was the solution...
Hero5 Session is waterproof as is,you just snap it into the frame that allows you to mount it to your different types of mounts(head mount,chest mount,handlebar mount,etc.) The one touch “on/record” then one touch “stop recording/off” is REALLY nice.
All kinds of cameras out there,it’s just what I use...

Attachments

• 0AFB8C30-FAEC-47F9-84BC-878366692BDA.jpg
    0AFB8C30-FAEC-47F9-84BC-878366692BDA.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 311
Back
Top Bottom