• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

AT Max v. Equinox 600

Analog_Kid

If you've seen a few of my recent posts, you'll know that my Fisher F2 is pretty much done for. Yeah, I could send it back and get it repaired (it's out of warranty), but the way I see it, I could sell the unit and its coils and use the money for a new detector.

That's where you guys come in.

Before the AT Max came out, I was eyeing the AT Pro. If for no other reason than because it is waterproof. But now that I the Max is available, lo and behold if there isn't a Minelab that is finally within my price range. I can't spend a whole lot of money on a detector, but for around $600 - $700...who knows?

I have pretty much set my heart on either the AT Max or the Equinox 600. On the outside chance that I can snag an Equinox 800, then this discussion is over. I know both the Max and the 600 are great machines, but if you had your choice of one which would you choose and why?

Regards,

Matt

I would not get an At max it doesn't have multifrequency, so it can't handle saltwater too well. Also doesn't recover as fast as Equinox. Probably deeper than the At max also. Definitely not as nose heavy as the max.

I have a good amount of time on both machines and can without a doubt say the Equinox is the better unit of the 2. The multi frequency, built in battery, nice display and lightweight are only a couple of advantages.
If you can afford it I would go with the 800 although the 600 is no slouch.
I will PM you a good place to get either machine.

Looks like I'll save up for the 800 then.

What does the 800 have that the 600 doesn't? Gold mode?

It has the gold mode as well as the ability to change tone breaks/pitch, more recovery speed settings,Iron bias, a couple more higher freq. and a few other things. The EQ600 is a good solid performer and for coin shooting in low/med mineralized soil it does great. The 800 may offer more settings but think unless you are hitting worked out spots where most good targets are masked by iron or trash, the 600 will suffice.

If the 800 has an edge over the 600 when it comes to discriminating junk and iron, then I think I might go for the 800.

Iron production was a very large industry here in the 1800's into the early 1900's. At a local park I found a silver-plated spoon from 1867. Pretty cool find, but in order to find that spoon I had to spend about two hours digging up chunks of iron ore slag. Less than a mile away from that park there is an old ghost town that was very active in iron ore refining and production.

Also, there are plenty of fields around here that hold thousands of tailgate parties every year around campus. Pop/beer tabs, foil wrappers, you name it. Those fields are littered with garbage. However, they're also filled with rings, coins, silver, gold, relics...you name it.

So, if the 800 has that edge over the 600, I might just go for the 800. But if it's just slight, edge, I'll save the money and spring for the 600.

If the 800 has an edge over the 600 when it comes to discriminating junk and iron, then I think I might go for the 800.

Iron production was a very large industry here in the 1800's into the early 1900's. At a local park I found a silver-plated spoon from 1867. Pretty cool find, but in order to find that spoon I had to spend about two hours digging up chunks of iron ore slag. Less than a mile away from that park there is an old ghost town that was very active in iron ore refining and production.

Also, there are plenty of fields around here that hold thousands of tailgate parties every year around campus. Pop/beer tabs, foil wrappers, you name it. Those fields are littered with garbage. However, they're also filled with rings, coins, silver, gold, relics...you name it.

So, if the 800 has that edge over the 600, I might just go for the 800. But if it's just slight, edge, I'll save the money and spring for the 600.

I went to school at Penn State back in the 80's. I can't imagine all the stuff that's been lost at tailgate parties around Beaver stadium! I would think you'd find tons of rings and jewelry along with clad and whatever else lost by drunk partying kids. And if you could get some permissions at the frat house yards you'd make a killing there too. BTW, I have no experience with the AT series, but I really like my nox 800.

The AT Pro was my go-to detector for many years. Still think it's one of the best for the money. Bought me what I thought would be an upgrade in the AT MAX and didn't like it at all. Traded it for another AT Pro.

And yes, the Equinox does kill the AT Pro in my opinion.

Last edited:
I went to school at Penn State back in the 80's. I can't imagine all the stuff that's been lost at tailgate parties around Beaver stadium! I would think you'd find tons of rings and jewelry along with clad and whatever else lost by drunk partying kids. And if you could get some permissions at the frat house yards you'd make a killing there too. BTW, I have no experience with the AT series, but I really like my nox 800.

Cool, man.

Yeah, this place is crawling with targets. A friend of mine, also a forum member, went to a local elementary school and found a 1922 Peace Dollar and a class ring from the 60's. He found the owner and was able to return the ring to her even 50 years later.

I don't have a problem finding targets around here. The problem will be getting permission.

When I get my 800.

Because, you know...

My F2 is hosed.

Life...*sadness*

Just think how many rusty beer caps there must be just waiting to be dug :detector:

Possibly one or three in every single square foot.:gaah:

The AT Pro was my go-to detector for many years. Still think it's one of the best for the money. Bought me what I thought would be an upgrade in the AT MAX and didn't like it at all. Traded it for another AT Pro.

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks for this post-and all your others. Have the AT Pro with 13" Ultimate coil that air tests 13" on a dime, plus most other coils. Think this will be fine outside of trashiest oldest areas, or until I get much closer to saltwater than 1,000 miles. I'm waiting for a used EQ 600 under $500. HH, George (MN)

So I was in the same boat as you...wanted to upgrade from the Pro to the Max. That was until I started reading about the Equinox. I too was going back and forth between the 600 and 800 but I went for the 600. Notice I didn't say I 'settled' for the 600. Cost wasn't completely the deciding factor, either. The only thing I wish the 600 had that the 800 has is the adjustable back light. If you do any night hunting it's so bright, it's almost useless as it blinds you to the ground around you. It did me anyway. I'm not a gold prospector, so the extra frequencies weren't an issue. The 600 has just enough room for me to mess with the settings to tweak it just how I like it. I personally don't need to adjust the tone breaks and other settings. I think Minelab did an excellent job programming the presets on the 600. And I saved a couple hundred bucks to buy the 6" coil when I can find one!
Performance wise, the AT Pro can't touch it. I live in an early 1900s house and I've pounded it with my Pro for the last year. My first hunt with the Nox in my yard, I found a '52 Rosie and a 1916 Buff. And I know for a fact I hit that area hard with my Pro.
Next hunt was at my neighborhood park which I also hit hard previously. Less than an hour there and I got a couple wheats, a no date V nickel, and a '41 walker. To be fair, I think I probably just missed the walker in the past. It wasn't deep, I'm confident the Pro would have slammed it as well.
Anyway, I hope this helps your decision! Sorry for the super long post LOL. But anyway, whichever Nox you choose you won't go wrong. It's a game changer for sure!

I thought the same thing and have hit some sites around a local college. For every ring that has been lost there is 35,000 or so pop tabs and bottle caps. I don't have a problem hunting in a place like a park that is considered high trash areas. However a college tail gate area is like detecting at a scrap yard.

Back
Top Bottom