Big Coin

Foragist

Forum Supporter
Had fun in the park today. One mystery coin found. Trying to determine what this big coin used to be. It is worn smooth on both sides, but still has the reeded edge. Measures 33 millimeters, or 1 5/16 inches. Weighs 13.8 grams. It has a shiny copper/gold tone color under the dirt I cleaned off.
I read that an old $10 gold coin measures 33mm, but weighs over 17 grams.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCN1733.jpg
    DSCN1733.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCN1736.jpg
    DSCN1736.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 450
  • DSCN1740.jpg
    DSCN1740.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 447
  • DSCN1741.jpg
    DSCN1741.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 442
It looks almost like 2 coins mated together. The outer drilled-out, and the inner shaved and press-fit into it.

The 1st picture even looks like they were soldered. Is the center the same color as the rim? Looks to be different.

It does look like a 2 piece assembly. It all looks like the same color to me.
I suspect it may be a medallion of some kind, or a foreign coin. Fairly hefty weight.

I don't think it is a coin.
It kind of looks like the back of an old watch to me. But that's just a guess.

Seems brassy; yes. Hard to tell what metal it is really. The 2 pc assembly theory makes it unlikely to be a coin? Not a watch back. Reeded, coin-like edging indicates coin or medallion. No bale or hole indicates NOT a pendant type medallion.

In the first pic, is that white-ish area just inside the edge maybe threaded? It kind of looks like it should screw onto something as a cap possibly.

No, not that deep of a groove to be threaded. It's not solder either. I scratched it a little more. That's just dirt in the groove. I will clean it some more n post pics tomorrow.

The more I inspect this thing, the more tricks it plays on my eyes. I think I can see some intentional shapes; mostly on one side; especially a small circular shape in the center. Then it all just looks like more scratches and pits. Maddening.
There were lots of brass exposition medals/tokens of this size, produced in the late 1800s to early 1900s. Maybe one of those. The bordering is unique, so I am hoping it will be a clue to an ID.
Cleaning is difficult. Here are the latest pics:

Attachments

• DSCN1744.jpg
    DSCN1744.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 378
  • DSCN1752.jpg
    DSCN1752.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 385
  • DSCN1748.jpg
    DSCN1748.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN1750.jpg
    DSCN1750.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 383
Maybe it was something like this commemorative coin, but the enamel/plastic decal was removed or fell off?

coin comm.jpg

Pretty sure it's not a watch part. Too thick, flat, and heavy; and no attachment points or threads.

Not all watch backs were threaded. Some were press fit, using a small arbor type press, put pressure on it and it clicks into place sealing the watch with a tiny rubber o-ring. I don't say that to say that it is in fact a watch back, just throwing that out there.

Back
Top Bottom