Unique Requirements For A Detector No $$$ Limits

Busa Dave

Joined last year and put off the first post lol until I screwed up big time! Going out to the ranch was almost there in Texas and rolled down the window! Threw out my hand to feel the air and my wedding band flew off my finger. Designed by my wife a few years ago to replace my 30 year old wedding band!

Know where it is 150 long x 60 or 70 feet deep and it is brush, trees along a blacktop road. She spent a lot getting it made and it is very very heavy.

That is priority #1-#9 The #10 is to search for meteorites and other artifacts at her old family ranch headquarters that collapsed (just a pile of wood really the roof) in the 560's was initially built in the late 1890's and built on to if far S/E NM SE of Carlsbad. This goes back to 1894 and has not been a working ranch since the 50's.

Question is not being shy with electronics in Military Aerospace 33 years need a unit that will be robust enough to find the ring BUT be good at meteorites and maybe gold, silver other artifacts around the old headquarters. One that is rugged and has most of what will be needed for this included. LCD screen Coils etc

Target Budget---not over 1500.00 or so but more if necessary.

Hope you folks will help me get into this--have been thinking about it for years but this accident with the ring just put it on the front burner! This is going to be my Christmas present to myself lol!
:roll:

Hey Welcome! You came to the RIGHT PLACE! There will be questions forthcoming from our membership, primarily, is this road a straight lonely stretch or alongside a highway with a lot of junk and traffic? Also the physical makeup of your ring..is it Gold/Plat? The K would be important as well as if its white gold or any other details you can list...What MPH you were going etc...what direction N,S,E,W....all that stuff...

We had a similar situation a few years back, also in Texas If I recall correctly..a guy and his Wife were driving along, and she tossed a McDonalds bag out the window, and along with it went her Custom wedding ring! He implored the Forum, One of our members went out there and found it, but it was on the Opposite side of the road as to where it shoulda been! Centrifugal forces at play and the ability of a ring to Hop-skip-jump, roll!

If you isolated the stretch properly, a guy may indeed be able to get out there and find it even with a Mid Level rig of about anysort...You need one of US in your AO to come out and clue you into how these rigs work...

Since theres 'NO Money Limit', I am available to come on down from Michigan and be there most urgently, We will find your ring, and I will show you how to run one of these detector things, and then we will go find a Meteorite the size of a cabbage to help defray your up front costs and tutelage!!

The rig is not nearly as important as the experience behind it...some folks say, "Its Not the Bow, its the Indian"...This applies...

MP--Thanks! will send first class tickets for you of course! :)

The land it went onto is about 1k yards from where I pull up to the house! Know it well---just a lot of cedar, mesquites brush there. Lot of old dropped cedar foliage, plus grass feel sure it will go off as heavy as it is. Ring flew off and heading east I was heading south at about 35. Very narrow 2 lane black top and thank you for the heads up on the bouncing and gong back to the other side. I did look the road over very closely for an hour before going up to the house.

You have a point about experience... "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and optimism every time".....:)

MP--Thanks! will send first class tickets for you of course! :)

The land it went onto is about 1k yards from where I pull up to the house! Know it well---just a lot of cedar, mesquites brush there. Lot of old dropped cedar foliage, plus grass feel sure it will go off as heavy as it is. Ring flew off and heading east I was heading south at about 35. Very narrow 2 lane black top and thank you for the heads up on the bouncing and gong back to the other side. I did look the road over very closely for an hour before going up to the house.

You have a point about experience... "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and optimism every time".....:)

As much as I'd like to take advantage of you and your generous offer, I respectfully cannot accept! I have a serious Birth defect personality flaw medically labeled as "Honesty"..,So...Get an AtPro, or a Fisher Labs Patriot.. They are mfg'd in Texas even, so you got some local support..Do a quick skim alongside the road for a tight crisp ping! or wait just a bit and somebody will be along shortly that lives close by....Theres some skilled operators here from Texas! Not so much from Oklahoma, as you may well surmise...:laughing:

I dont fly anymore if I can help it, I do like a long drive though and what with the waxing gibbous moon, it would be a treat...You may use me as a fall back 'All Hope Lost' kind of deal though...Incedentally, a guy up here found a $100k meteorite not far from me this Fall...it was being used as a door stop on a chicken coop on a farm he bought...I think you are going to fit and fall right in with this Sport!

Your ring is about 3' in the ditch on your drivers side, about 50' from where it blew off...thats the paydirt to begin with...

Attachments

• three rigs.jpg
    three rigs.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 193
As much as I'd like to take advantage of you and your generous offer, I respectfully cannot accept! I have a serious Birth defect personality flaw medically labeled as "Honesty"..,So...Get an AtPro, or a Fisher Labs Patriot.. They are mfg'd in Texas even, so you got some local support..Do a quick skim alongside the road for a tight crisp ping! or wait just a bit and somebody will be along shortly that lives close by....Theres some skilled operators here from Texas! Not so much from Oklahoma, as you may well surmise...:laughing:

I dont fly anymore if I can help it, I do like a long drive though and what with the waxing gibbous moon, it would be a treat...You may use me as a fall back 'All Hope Lost' kind of deal though...Incedentally, a guy up here found a $100k meteorite not far from me this Fall...it was being used as a door stop on a chicken coop on a farm he bought...I think you are going to fit and fall right in with this Sport!
That pic needs to be updated :laughing:

Search for a local metal detecting club or post on craig's list lost and found for volunteers.

If they find it offer a reward or contact the local news service they like to do these human interest stories.

When you meet these helpers discuss the hobby with them and I'm sure they'll give you a lot of free advice and demonstrate their detectors.

This might just be a fun place! I have a couple of buddies that have done this in the past and the only advice they gave was to use the Texas manufacturers for support one is just a little north of Dallas.

Not being familiar with the equipment manufacturers but have done some reading here and other places on the web it seems that this hobby does require support from time to time. Am pretty particular no am anal about my equipment in everything I do even my lawn equipment. Always have been a buy the right equipment the first time and cry once.

One thing that does being the type person I am is this will not be my last purchase pursuing this hobby... On the other hand that is part of the fun! Going to do some due diligence on your suggestions.... Thanks!

If rugged durability is a primary concern, you might consider checking out some older machines, with the steel control boxes. Heck, maybe an old military mine sweeper is up your alley. Many older machines are still very good detectors. Newer models are functionally better, lighter, rechargeable, etc., but not really known for being good weed whackers. Your consideration for quality is a good thing. You need to visit some detector shops to see, feel, and discuss detectors, and what you want. When you narrow it down to a few choices, check with the sponsors on this site, and the For Sale sections.

Thanks for the replies so far and yes will check site sponsors before I buy. Had a good conversation with the Fisher folks yesterday. She recommended the F75 LTD as a start so upgrading after I found the ring because of the areas in NM I want to go over with a fine tooth comb if you will. Will be fun to look but with all of the oilfield activity there will be a lot of garbage in many areas. Sad but they do that stuff---we own the surface not the minerals those are Uncle Sams….

Going back to reading old threads---learning quite a bit!!

Back
Top Bottom