Gold rings and GoPro camera

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
Got out with a buddy to one of our "backpocket site" beaches near us. At extremely low tides, this beach has some coral/sandstone bedrock (no sand) where targets get trapped.

We each got some silver jewelry, some coins, and lots of fishing sinkers. He got 2 men's gold rings shown here. I got zero gold rings :pullhair: :mad: :roll:

But I did manage this GoPro Hero 10 black camera. The latest of the generation of GoPro cameras. These were only put on market Sept. of 2021.

I was able to turn it on . It still had 85% power on the battery ! So I suspect it was lost just in the last week or two ?? I reviewed footage of the video clips on there. Nothing that would have given names or ID's, but just a guy and a gal video-taping their travels hither & yonder.

But in one clip, the guy tells his lady friend : "I have to go back to our car to fetch something". And he trots back to their vehicle in a big parking lot, and opens up the hatchback to fetch something. As he did that, I was able to freeze-frame it and capture the license plate # !

So: Does anyone here know of an LEO that can run a plate for me ? So that I can get it back to the fellow. I realize that I can likewise turn it in to the police, and they'll do that for me. Ie.: They'll just say "leave it here", and that will be the last time I see or hear of it. No reunion story, no Sherlock mystery solved, nothing. Thus, if anyone here can crack a license plate #, PM me.

And yes, I did run a CL "Found" ad. No reply so far.

Attachments

• camera1.jpg
    camera1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 693
  • camera2.jpg
    camera2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 679
  • camera3.jpg
    camera3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 682
  • camera4.jpg
    camera4.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 687
  • camera5.jpg
    camera5.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 679
The camera is retailing for $500 + when new. And used ones on Ebay are fetching $380 to $450-ish. So I could certainly sell it. But a reunion story is more than $$ can buy. So hopefully someone here can help me crack the lic. plate.

Also: This goPro was totally in the inter-tidal zone, tangled up in piles of kelp and seaweed. Amazing testament to how durable and waterproof these things are these days !

Tom if you know the make of the car you might get someone at a dealership that can pull the record if the car was ever serviced. If its a Ford I know someone who might be able to help .

Looks like you guys had a blast. Lots of targets. Probably didn't need a detector , lol. I disagree that you can't put a price on reunion stories. I can put a price on em'. You don't want anyone to go ask Leo's and Archie's for permissions ( because we all know where that leads) but you want US to do exactly that for a license plate ? Bro....your crackin me up ! 🤣 keep it , we want to see more of your beach hunt video's.

Your Go pro story caught my eye because of the one I found recently was loaded with family stuff but no way to identify who they were...

Looks like you guys has fun... I bet if you had a Deus you would have been the winner in the yellow dept... :yes:

Hey, Congrats on all the goodiesđź‘Ť

thanx metaladdict !

Tom if you know the make of the car you might get someone at a dealership that can pull the record if the car was ever serviced. If its a Ford I know someone who might be able to help .

Yes, the make and model of the car are clearly seen. But I do not know where , in CA, this person is from. The beach he was at is a touristy destination, so he could be from ANYWHERE.

But along these lines, tell me this : It is a late model/make of Toyota. And I know someone who is high-ranking in a Toyota service dept, at on of their big dealerships in CA. So I'm assuming that their computers will connect to all their other service dept's throughout CA, eh ?

And assuming this camera owner gets his servicing done at Toyota, then maybe my can do it. Thanx !

Looks like you guys had a blast. Lots of targets. Probably didn't need a detector , lol. I disagree that you can't put a price on reunion stories. I can put a price on em'. You don't want anyone to go ask Leo's and Archie's for permissions ( because we all know where that leads) but you want US to do exactly that for a license plate ? Bro....your crackin me up ! 🤣 keep it , we want to see more of your beach hunt video's.

Kob, I always enjoy your insight and wit. And yes you're right : There is a contradiction in my stance, eh ? :roll:

And this subject has come up many many times on forums : Someone here knocks themselves silly to track down an owner of some item (because perhaps, like this, they had clues). But then never get so much as a "thank you" or "kiss my #ss" in return. But other times, there's grateful interaction. (and maybe even a tip $$)

It's an ongoing debate. But has little to do with L&F laws in CA, that, ... sure .... technically tell you and I to "run to the police station" with any ring or camera that exceeds a dollar amount value. 2 different subjects.

....I bet if you had a Deus you would have been the winner in the yellow dept... :yes:

I have the Deus I. Not the Deus II. Do you think the Deus I will work on wet mineralized salt ? I strictly use it for ghost-townsy relicky needs, at present. And I reach for my Exp. II when doing the beach.

That looks exactly like a gopro I lost in lake Michigan last week.

I think the sand movement must have pushed it your way.:laughing:

I know a couple cops, if I see them I'll ask if they can run a plate. I don't think they're supposed to do that but I'll ask.

And your always congratulating everybody else on their sleuthing abilities, turns out your quite the Dick Tracy yourself Tom. Slick move on catching the plate #. Good luck on the return. Mark

That looks exactly like a gopro I lost in lake Michigan last week.

I think the sand movement must have pushed it your way.:laughing:

I know a couple cops, if I see them I'll ask if they can run a plate. I don't think they're supposed to do that but I'll ask.

Thanx CW3, give me your mailing address, and I'll put it in the mail first thing in the morning ! :laughing: But seriously now, If your LEO friends can run a plate, PM me, and I'll send you the lic. # Thanx !

And your always congratulating everybody else on their sleuthing abilities, turns out your quite the Dick Tracy yourself Tom. Slick move on catching the plate #. Good luck on the return. Mark

Mark, Yes I "wax romantic" about the reunions-stories that sometimes accompany our show & tell . Despite the occasional "ingrate" stories, the fun ones make it worthwhile. On the other hand, I do not fault those that don't do Sherlock Holmes sleuthing (for class rings and so forth).

But in this particular case, it's apparent that it's within a few weeks (battery still had a charge ). So it's reasonable to assume that it's a fresh loss.

Nice Collection of rings, Congrats. :thumbsup:

thanx Bajanick ! My buddy is killing it with his Nox 800. Runs smoother in wet salt minerals. My Exp. II is normally an excellent wet-salt machine. But Something in this terrain causes my explorer to stutter. His Nox, on the other hand, is smooth as silk here.

cfmct "Craig" gave me some good advice : I do not have to hand it over at a police station, in order to have them run a plate. I can merely walk in, with no camera in hand, and tell them : "Have this person contact me, I have a camera for them....."

And then they might have the person contact me. So that there is no privacy laws broken, blah blah.

But to do this, I suppose I will have to claim that the value is less than $100 (a little white lie). Because in CA, the law is that items worth $100 or more, are to be left with the police . And THEY do the repatriation effort. Which, in this case, with a lic. #, will be child's play for them. And I'll never know the end result . Heck, the clerk at the police station might be the proud new owner of a goPro camera, for all I know :roll:

But if I tell them it's worth less than $100 (as if it's one of the older cameras), then perhaps they won't say "give it to us " ?

Tom if nobody else can, a friend of mine might be able to run the tag. He was Military intel and a LEO.

Nice bunch of rings for you guys, Tom! You surf n' turfers have the best of both worlds.

Ok , I have a much easier solution. But I need your DL# so I can run a warrants check on you 1st...

That's a lot of rings! Looks like a fun hunt for sure. And those goldies look chunky :)

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom