Would you have returned it?

DaviDs

Forum Supporter
One of the beaches I frequently visit had a 40 yd stretch that was eroding nicely. I was hitting it daily to check conditions. On my 3rd hunt, the first signal was a $1 coin. From there, every target was sinkers, nickels, and quarters. Seemed like a promising area!

As I progressed, I got another signal. I was using a new tune and out of curiosity, I switched to the old tune to check again. There was nothing. As I switched back to the new settings, I was interrupted by a group of young people asking if I'd help find a lost necklace. They said it was a silver necklace with a heart shaped charm containing the ashes of one of the girl’s uncles. She told me very specific words were engraved on it.

I’ve heard stories of scrupulous people trying to find another beachgoers lost item. So, not to be duped, I said in order for me to search, they'd need to find a picture of it to show proof. She said yeah, and started scrolling through her photos. I interrupted and said go walk to the area where you think you lost it and I’ll meet you in a few.

As they looked at her phone and slowly walked away, I discretely dug my target. Sure as spit, I find a dainty silver necklace. F me. It was so thin, it almost looked like fishing line and the clasp wasn’t much bigger.!!It was laid out length-wise in the plug of wet sand. Dang, was I impressed to find it.

Without them noticing, I slipped the necklace into a pocket and walked over to them... ironically, they were just about 25 feet away. I explained I typically do recoveries for a fee but im already here and will try to help if she has found a photo. She is tearing up and can't find it but gave a pretty good description of the charm. Her friends were on their hands and knees searching the sand while she talked. Turns out she lost it 24 hours prior. She said she saw four other people with metal detectors in the area and thought if they hadn’t already found it, maybe I could try taking a look.

I was skeptical, but decided to start. In less than 2 minutes I got a signal. As I dug, a heart-shaped charm emerged from the sand. I flip it over and it had text engraved on it but it wasn’t exactly as she described.

I walked over to the group and asked if a photo had been found yet? They replied no. I said, well, I found something but first, does someone have an ID? Puzzled, they said yeah and presented an Ohio drivers license. As I snapped a photo of it, I shared that I just found something and that in case I gave the wrong item away, I wanted to have a way to show police who I gave the item to.

I then opened my other hand and showed the heart. The girl was a loss for words and her friend starts to tear up. The guy was like high fives and cheering.! I asked about the necklace and she couldn’t describe it, which I thought was odd. The only thing she could remember is that was thin. So, here is the great deliberation.!!Do I show the necklace that I found almost 25 feet away?

Well, I decided to give it to her. Her response was a bit odd though, she just kind of took it and said thanks. Hmmm, I’m still wondering if it was hers.!!The clasp wasn’t broken but, oh well. Whatever.

So cool, I did my good deed and recovered both the charm and a necklace. The dude asked if there was anything he could do. I said sure, the equipment is pricey and I’ll happily accept any donation that they feel is appropriate. As luck would have it, he opens his wallet and had five, one dollars bills. Wah, wah, wAaaaaaa. Well, at least that covered a gallon of gas. Bwhahaha. :lol:

As they walked off the beach, I suddenly realized I never snapped a photo of the darn charm and necklace. Dang it!!! Best I could do is search google for a similar one. So here you go….

9823344c2a3453888d1606c6ecb718b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

You did right... sometimes people have a hard time showing appreciation... and besides its silver... what is the melt value not much...

:dingding:
You did right... sometimes people have a hard time showing appreciation... and besides its silver... what is the melt value not much...
X2 - I agree with Craig on this one.

If people literally ask for my help and it works out, then they are obligated to be openly appreciated. I would be easy to adopt the old adage, "They should have not lost it" finders keepers. I would always be ecstatic if someone helped me find something. jm2c

Absolutely the right thing to do.

Heart found in the general area where she said she lost it. Even though the engraving wasn’t exact, close enough for government work.

As for the chain, I might have thought twice, but probably would have given it to her too.

And the reward, I normally refuse. Just happy to return something that means so much to her.

I will spend no more than 5 minutes looking in this scenario for free. Typically if it has any major value to them , I make a predetermined finders fee. This tells me if they are serious. My hobby is to keep finds. Not to search for others items on every whim. You did the right thing. Stuff like that is still a junker to me.

You did right

But , were is the pick of you returning it to the girl selfie , you know just like gold finds , no pick , no pat on the back with a good JOB told :p , or it didn't happen :snapoutofit::fmdfwelcome:

I usually just get the "If you find a gold coin or Rolex i lost it last week". So i ask if they can describe what last week looked like:lol:

DaviDs

100% All In :shock::thumbsup: I would have broke out the Scuba Tector & said jump on my back , oil up , lets go find it :yes:

Attachments

• P1010442.jpg
    P1010442.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 502
I have had people that were very appreciative of my efforts. Only had two that i wished i had not bothered. One was down close to Ft Myers Fl. Lady lost her ear ring. Of course she did not like it when i started expanding my search. When i found the ear ring she said a half hearted thanks and turned and walked away. Danged Yankee. The other one was at a local beach. I was dehydrated to the point i was hurting but i went and found her ring. Another of those Thanks and turned and walked away.

Back
Top Bottom