Not sure how many here use CTX. There is a NOX frenzy lately but over the yrs I've tried several water head phones for the CTX and they all disappoint. Volume is just to low. I think its in the circuitry of the machine and not the headphones fault. GreyGhosts had a volume rheostat but it didn't help for long because it got water intrusion and they went from decently loud ghosts to just dead. I've been poking around with waterproof earbuds for the CTX but the wiring is like angel hair and simply to fragile... they work great until I pull on the cable at all. You also have to be a spine surgeon to be able to solder the connections. Right now I'm using Tony's older, more 1st batch-ish version of headphones for my CTX and its less than appealing. Again not his fault, its the machines.

Not sure how many here use CTX. There is a NOX frenzy lately but over the yrs I've tried several water head phones for the CTX and they all disappoint. Volume is just to low. I think its in the circuitry of the machine and not the headphones fault. GreyGhosts had a volume rheostat but it didn't help for long because it got water intrusion and they went from decently loud ghosts to just dead. I've been poking around with waterproof earbuds for the CTX but the wiring is like angel hair and simply to fragile... they work great until I pull on the cable at all. You also have to be a spine surgeon to be able to solder the connections. Right now I'm using Tony's older, more 1st batch-ish version of headphones for my CTX and its less than appealing. Again not his fault, its the machines.

You should definitely try a pair of the Aqua-Tek then. Frank specifically made them for the CTX first because that is what he uses. Him and his buddy Steve Pacifico use them on the ctx on land and water only. Steve is the one that got me to listen to a pair at Florida Hunt 8. I was about to buy a pair but then fate called my number during the door prize giveaway for a pair.

We found out they was a cross over of pins in the connector that had to be soldered for the CTX to get full volume. IE the Xcal and most just use 2 of the pins …. The CTX uses 3 … 2 of those pin right next to each are soldered together.

We found out they was a cross over of pins in the connector that had to be soldered for the CTX to get full volume. IE the Xcal and most just use 2 of the pins …. The CTX uses 3 … 2 of those pin right next to each are soldered together.

That is one thing that always got me.. they had 8 pins to use in a circle... why not spread the load out on the cable/fitting..but Nope..they put all of them together and leave the rest unused.

So volume, waterproof ability, comfort all play a part. I personally love the gel cups. Sore ears cut hunts short. I have tried quite a few different brands through the years. What I found is everyone has their favorite. To say the best by far....well that again is an opinion. Glad you like them.

You should definitely try a pair of the Aqua-Tek then. Frank specifically made them for the CTX first because that is what he uses. Him and his buddy Steve Pacifico use them on the ctx on land and water only. Steve is the one that got me to listen to a pair at Florida Hunt 8. I was about to buy a pair but then fate called my number during the door prize giveaway for a pair.

thanks

Speaking about CTX volume - I had not experimented much with volume gain/limit/threshold much over the years. Set it and forgot about it. But now I don’t get much for targets and the small stuff is set to be just as loud as the big. I played around with it a bit and now coins and rings really sound off. I need to optimize though for earbuds. Anyone know of good videos that cover this topic?

I’d be interested to hear how they match to Mal’s SurffoneS.

Aside from a pair of Skullies that I’ve been using on my GT FOR TEN YEARS, Mal’s are the best I’ve heard on the CTX and Equinox. Great ambient noise cancellation, good quality, durable, with redundant wiring. And you can’t beat the price.

However, a couple years ago he wasn’t fully waterproofing the connection for Equinox. Email him to see if he has changed that connection: [email protected]

I’d be interested to hear how they match to Mal’s SurffoneS.

Aside from a pair of Skullies that I’ve been using on my GT FOR TEN YEARS, Mal’s are the best I’ve heard on the CTX and Equinox. Great ambient noise cancellation, good quality, durable, with redundant wiring. And you can’t beat the price.

However, a couple years ago he wasn’t fully waterproofing the connection for Equinox. Email him to see if he has changed that connection: [email protected]

I know Mal uses speakers also..Visaton K 28 WP - 50 OHM, I think the skullies you have Raider I used the Audiosears 2463's.. I switching to the PUI 50mm piezo for the excalibur's. Recently, I tested the new AQ, they really nailed the underwater headphones, they were so loud and clear I told them they should start making them for other machines. They are using the PUI 65mm Piezo..biggest I've ever seen. Never heard a word from them on that, one strange company.

I bought a pair of these Aqua Tek headphones last weekend at the ECRDA hunt in Ocean city, NJ. Man they are great...very comfortable and loud! It is cool that the pinpoint function has a noticeable different tone. I don't plan on diving with them but will be up to my chest this summer in the bay where my detector will be under water. I had the pleasure of meeting Frank there at the hunt as he was sitting there answering questions about the headphones and his Ugly box. Great guy!

Aaron

Last edited:
Tony does great work. He replaced my headphones, a potentiometer and added the pin point mod to my Excal. Such an improvement.

I bought a pair of these Aqua Tek headphones last weekend at the ECRDA hunt in Ocean city, NJ. Man they are great...very comfortable and loud! It is cool that the pinpoint function has a noticeable different tone. I don't plan on diving with them but will be up to my chest this summer in the bay where my detector will be under water. I had the pleasure of meeting Frank there at the hunt as he was sitting there answering questions about the headphones and his Ugly box. Great guy!

Aaron

People don't give Frank enough credit. He is extremely intelligent on the subject of Electrolysis and the way headphones work and should work. I use to think the Piezo buzzers were the best for water hunting until he broke it down for me and then explained what he was using.

As a friend of Tony Eisenhower and having a set for all of my machines I can say that they are simply amazing. Tony doesn't 1/2 A55 anything and the quality is in the minor details of his product.

X2! Thanks to him, I’m using my Excal a lot more...I sent it to him and he did the hardwiring for me! So much better than the stock headphones...loud, super comfortable, stays in place, long flexible cord.

for the Excalibur hard to beat piezos if done correct, I started using a skin like film to water proof them, no restriction allows better audio response.. Got a new setup I'm working on, it does require a extra battery to power the system. Getting ready for the D2 matchup, :lol: If it works good I may have to take a ride south just to stur the pot..

Air test a 5 gram gold ring at 16 plus inches, a nickel best I can do is 14, more adjustments needed but once it hits the salty beach it should get deeper, I hope.

If I Can't beat the D2 with mine I may have to buy some of Franks to check out.. :yes:

Got a new setup I'm working on, it does require a extra battery to power the system. Getting ready for the D2 matchup, :lol: If it works good I may have to take a ride south just to stur the pot..

Air test a 5 gram gold ring at 16 plus inches, a nickel best I can do is 14, more adjustments needed but once it hits the salty beach it should get deeper, I hope.

:

Very impressive Joe. Would you get deeper with the sensitivity cranked up all the way? That "special project" had me at extra battery, will you be letting us know anytime soon or is this proprietary?

Tony does great work. He replaced my headphones, a potentiometer and added the pin point mod to my Excal. Such an improvement.

Tony is a great guy and he builds very good headphones. He replaced my wire and added the new factory Equinox jack. People don't know but he is the maker of the Thresher headphones. He is working with Ronnie DeGhetto. But he also is phasing himself out of the game. He told Ronnie that this maybe his last year building them.

Got a new setup I'm working on, it does require a extra battery to power the system. Getting ready for the D2 matchup, :lol: If it works good I may have to take a ride south just to stur the pot..
If you head to my side i think i will sit this one out and be cooking the barbeque. Maybe you can get "you know who" to hunt in pinpoint?:lol: Not that it will help me if you do.:lol:

Kapi likes the speakers i made using coin capsules. But i am afraid she is wrecking her hearing with them cranked up. I can hear her headphones from 100 feet away. Lol!

Itsa: Hey Kapi, what’s for dinner?

Kapi: Huh? What?

Itsa: I said, what’s for dinner?

Kapi: You found a spinner?

Itsa: No! What’s for dinner?!

Kapi: That’s okay. We’re all sinners. Go to confession.

Itsa: Okay, never mind!

Kapi: I’m hungry. What are you making for dinner?

Itsa: Huh? What?

:cool3:

R5

Very impressive Joe. Would you get deeper with the sensitivity cranked up all the way? That "special project" had me at extra battery, will you be letting us know anytime soon or is this proprietary?

Thank You!

This is just a on going project for myself, At one time I enjoyed work on other machines but now I have to many other projects, one a girl friend who is off all summer..:sun:

As far as the sensitivity, I did turn it up a little more. (From 6 to 8) Yet to beach test this machine, which I may have to turn it back down. The coil is HOT..

So here are the results. I have video's of all I may post later, right now I'm not sure if I want to deal with all of the bickering and :crying:. And this is air test, the D2 was not tested by me, but by one who has experience with it.

The Excal was best on silver, the AQ rocked the gold and nickel test. The AQ was rather weak on the silver and the D2 kicked the AQ butt.

All of this is just for fun and to see what MY machine's can do,...And what I am up against when it comes to the D2. If I were to buy a new machine, it would be the D2.. For me, the excalibur will not be setting in the corner collecting dust as I was told by someone.. Still number one for me..

Like Clint says, A man has to know his limitations..

Here is the excalibur video..

Attachments

• 20220604_014313.jpg
    20220604_014313.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 132
A lady friend,,, that will certainly take up a lot of your time, and oftentimes they are well worth it!

Two inches deeper can make all the difference in the world at the end of the day, especially on those hear-stopping weaks that only register in pinpoint. I've been running the Excal Blue that you and Low Tide put together with the 15 X 16 Nel, and I feel that's about what I'm seeing over the Excal green. It's so perfectly balanced that I can swing it a lot longer than the green, but if I can get that with gold on a machine "whose name shall not be mentioned" that I can travel with and be less conspicuous, than so be it.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom