Negative Low Tide Predictions

scoundrel

six feet under(water)
Apparently this is not an exact science. Magic seaweed recently predicted low tides of -.5 and -.7. in the Indian River Lagoon which has a very gradual slope. This would have taken the water out much further than normal at low tide. There was little wind and the seas were less than 2 feet during these tides. The river was calm. I have been working and staying out of town, and I drove home just to hunt these conditions. A 3 hour drive each way. When I got to the river at low tide, it was as if the tide had never gone out. It was still way higher than a normal low tide. This was at peak low. This happened on three negative low tide predictions. How could they get this so wrong? Has anybody else experienced this?

I don't use the site for tide forecasts, but I do like it for surf predictions. While it seems to be close most of the time, I've arrived at the beach to find we have different definitions of "flat"! :no:

Apparently this is not an exact science. Magic seaweed recently predicted low tides of -.5 and -.7. in the Indian River Lagoon which has a very gradual slope. This would have taken the water out much further than normal at low tide. There was little wind and the seas were less than 2 feet during these tides. The river was calm. I have been working and staying out of town, and I drove home just to hunt these conditions. A 3 hour drive each way. When I got to the river at low tide, it was as if the tide had never gone out. It was still way higher than a normal low tide. This was at peak low. This happened on three negative low tide predictions. How could they get this so wrong? Has anybody else experienced this?

There are lots of factors to the actual drawdown. Wind, fronts, moon phase. I suggest looking at least three sites for your area to make sure the time is right. Then look at tidal coefficients.

I agree with the above, predicted tides are just that, sometimes years in advance. No way they figure in the other factors, which could be just about anything. I've Mastered predicting tides in the Chesapeake Bay but only after a few years of watching everything from rain fall in other states, Fronts from diff directions, winds, storms in the ocean, storm fronts pushing thru, watching the the predicted tides and one Government web page. I have one web page that does give there predicted tides and they consider all of the factors (they call it forecasted). Even they are off sometimes but most of the time its a alarm for me to start watching closer. And it is one site I've never shared with anyone (except my one friend Mike). One big advantage I have over the locals, knowing when.

Picture below is this weeks forecasted tides.. No need to even waste time going out. The Dark blue line is the tide all of the other sites are showing you.. The Red line is observed, real time... the Aqua line is Forecasted, no other site has this., and it is accurate enough most of the time to allow one to watch close and prepare. (Two days in advance)

Attachments

• InkedSNAG-0000_LI.jpg
    InkedSNAG-0000_LI.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
I don't use the site for tide forecasts, but I do like it for surf predictions. While it seems to be close most of the time, I've arrived at the beach to find we have different definitions of "flat"! :no:
:laughing: Agreed! I really try to get video as well.

Magic Seaweed is THE most unreliable source out there. But it is completely free where I don't get locked out for not signing up. Often the tides will be displayed in meters , others in feet. Without me doing anything. They are all a guide , just like an air test. Beach cams are more real time for me.

I agree with the above, predicted tides are just that, sometimes years in advance. No way they figure in the other factors, which could be just about anything. I've Mastered predicting tides in the Chesapeake Bay but only after a few years of watching everything from rain fall in other states, Fronts from diff directions, winds, storms in the ocean, storm fronts pushing thru, watching the the predicted tides and one Government web page. I have one web page that does give there predicted tides and they consider all of the factors (they call it forecasted). Even they are off sometimes but most of the time its a alarm for me to start watching closer. And it is one site I've never shared with anyone (except my one friend Mike). One big advantage I have over the locals, knowing when.

Picture below is this weeks forecasted tides.. No need to even waste time going out. The Dark blue line is the tide all of the other sites are showing you.. The Red line is observed, real time... the Aqua line is Forecasted, no other site has this., and it is accurate enough most of the time to allow one to watch close and prepare. (Two days in advance)
:shock: Looks like I got access to the same site. :D But you are right about observing and recording metrics so you can identify the best times to hit the beach.

I don't have that problem, there is almost no tide here to speak of. "Big" tides are a drop of 50cm.

Back
Top Bottom