Army Navy?? **update* WWI razor kit

matmit

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
I found this last fall in a place with a lot of items from the 1930's and 40's.
It is copper/brass and hinged.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Army Navy.jpg
    Army Navy.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 590
  • 11-29-19 Navy clean 2.jpg
    11-29-19 Navy clean 2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 11-29-19 Navy clean 4.jpg
    11-29-19 Navy clean 4.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Ooooh, nice one! What all of that means is a mystery, but it's full of clues.
Any older US military people might know some of the insignia better than me and my Googling, but this is my 2 cents:
The eagle looks just like the insignia for the rank of Colonel in the US Army or Army AirForce...except the olive branches and arrows are replaced with a banner, where we wish a name was engraved.
The fouled anchor I always thought represented the US Navy, but I guess it can be more specific than that. Yours has the added crossed flag and spear(I think). No clue or Googly results for that.
The symbol on the left is interesting. I know the castle represents the Army Corps of Engineering. The crossed cannon, sword and rifle are parts of a similar Master Gunner insignia, but that also has a missile. Your cig case's insignia all tell a story of rank and experience, and it is quite elaborate and well made.
Either Colonel what's-his-name lost this meaningful personal item before he got it engraved, or it's just a bunch of military symbols used to decorate a carnival prize. :?:

It’s a Gillette US Service razor case- WWI I 1917 issue. I can’t post the pick.

Pretty nice find and history lesson. I'm glad I don't have to shave with that thing though.

I've found an old safety razor similar to the one in the picture. I wonder if it is similar age period.

Back
Top Bottom