unknown tool part? Probably 1880-1915

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
This object could be school-related. Could be 1880-1915. Possibly a scientific tool. That's based on the other finds from the property, but don't get too hung up on those details.

The other side is exactly the same. The corroded metal in the middle fits into a notch in each of the pieces on the ends.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• for id small.jpg
    for id small.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 445
From the same site. Similar metal composition. Has that same turn of the century look/feel to it. The other side is flat with no markings. It appears to be a clip of some sort. Note that the hole on the back is wider on top than the bottom. Perhaps a button/rivet was inserted and lowered into the hole, and it was hung/clipped over something. It seems too basic/unadorned to be clothing/uniform/suspender related.

The only two objects from the site I haven't identified. Not yet ready to toss them into the unknown doo-dad box.

Oh, and before any wise guys chime in, I know the object on the left is a 1943 silver quarter! It was one of the newer objects found on the same site.

Attachments

• small for id clip.jpg
    small for id clip.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 477
Last edited:
The first item reminds me of a butterfly choke assembly from an old updraft carburetor.
The second looks like a piece that is affixed to the back of a tape measure so that it can be hooked over a belt.

The first item reminds me of a butterfly choke assembly from an old updraft carburetor.
The second looks like a piece that is affixed to the back of a tape measure so that it can be hooked over a belt.

I think you're onto something! For the first item it makes sense that it would pivot given the construction of either end. For the second item it explains the machined holes.

That first item is a mantel clock key..
The second looks like part of a suspender clip.

Hey, I missed your reply until now!

I came back to the thread because earlier today I was touring a home and farm site dating to the early 1800's. In one of the displays they had objects found and identified by archaeologists on the property. Included was an identical clip to the second photo above . They had it as a suspender clip dating to the late 1800's. Mine was found among late 1800's to early 1900's objects, and I have since found a few other examples online that were located along with 19th century items.

As for the mantel clock key, you are spot on. I was finally able to find a photo of two examples where the middle section is made of a ferrous metal, which explains why mine has heavy corrosion on that part. It does make me wonder whether there was a reason for that bi-metal construction.

Attachments

• Capture55555555555.JPG
    Capture55555555555.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 212
Back
Top Bottom