My sewer pipe is busted.

metaladdict

Elite Member
My house was built in 1947 and the old iron drain clogs every day now!:tissue::crybaby: I am going to have to dig it up and replace it with plastic drain.:hammerin: will have to buy Chinese electric jack hammer to bust my small concrete porch.:no: Good thing I'm not too old to do the work yet.
I have a feeling it's going to tire me out and cost some cash I don't have!

Been there, done that. Try using a sledge to bust up your concrete first then rent a jackhammer if needed. The worst part is the digging up the old system.

Steve

My house was built in 1947 and the old iron drain clogs every day now!:tissue::crybaby: I am going to have to dig it up and replace it with plastic drain.:hammerin: will have to buy Chinese electric jack hammer to bust my small concrete porch.:no: Good thing I'm not too old to do the work yet.
I have a feeling it's going to tire me out and cost some cash I don't have!

might try something like this..

as the saying goes.. work smarter not harder :)

https://www.amazon.com/Dexpan-Demolition-Excavating-Alternative-Jackhammer/dp/B000BRQ9A2?th=1

Does the pipe go out into the yard? I worked for 1 of these plumbing places for a while in the past. Try renting a small back hoe for the day. It might come with switchable ends that will take a jack hammer.

If the pipe is clogged out in the front yard you won't be able to dig it by hand or with anything less than a back hoe.

Have you tried snaking the pipe yet? Try a 50ft or longer and see what happens. Could be roots and other crud blocking it up, jamming it with a snake a couple dozen times might clear it up... at least until they grow back.

Have you thought about having a sewer cam inspection ? There are companies that will come in and install a liner if the pipe is not too far gone. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck, Mark

Have you thought about having a sewer cam inspection ? There are companies that will come in and install a liner if the pipe is not too far gone. Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck, Mark

Might do that sometime but my harbor freight drain snake cleared it out after the fifth day! We shall see how long till it jams again?

I'm a newly retired plumber now looking for fame and fortune metal detecting ha ha.
Have you hired a profe$$ional plumber to come and clean out your sewer line with the correct size equipment for your situation. Ask around and find out who's the best at cleaning out home sewers cause there are some good and some bad just like mechanics or anything else. I would start there imho.

Last edited:
How do you know its busted? Very common for the ground just outside the house when foundation was excavated to settle over time and break the pipe.

Jackhammers come in 95 and 110 lbs. heavier one works faster but can tear you up if not used to it.
If the thickness is over 4inches, the saw may not be worth the trouble
Good luck

Just one question? How do you know that the drain pipe out in the back yard is cast iron? If it happens to be orange berg pipe then it will collapse with years of use. Camera idea before doing anything drastic is the best idea given so far.

Glad to see it is unstopped, but something is causing it if you have had long term problems with it.

Might do that sometime but my harbor freight drain snake cleared it out after the fifth day! We shall see how long till it jams again?

Did you check the snake? Any idea what was clogging it? The building codes have likely changed since then... A new pipe would probably have to be buried deeper if replaced.
As 1 guy suggest on here call a pro to check it out. A couple hundred bucks on a service call might end up saving you a few thousand.

Back
Top Bottom