question about CW relic hunting along and in creeks

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I live in North Atlanta. Most of the Civil War relic locations that you can hunt around Atlanta are creek banks and in the creeks because the developers have no use for creeks since they cannot build near them.

Fall is coming, snakes will be going underground so time to hit the creeks.

I am experienced in hunting gold in creeks by detecting for bird show, buck shot and bullets in creeks therefore gold in in the area will be found with the lead shot.

So I am figuring the same will apply to Civil War bullets. They will collect in the low pockets and areas where the current has slowed down and dropped the heavier items.

Does this apply in real life detecting?

What has been your experience at finding Civil War relics in creeks and is there any area in particular that I should always search?

I am planning to use my Nox 6" and Coiltek 10 x 5" for the nox in the creeks to see which is the best coil for this type of hunting.

Thanks, in Advance for any help.

You pretty much answered your own question, but I'll add, also in the clay along the banks and clay bottoms. I tend to avoid the "wash" (sand and pebbles), not to dig beer cans 3 feet down. Actually here in Va, my stream digging season is nearing its end. Not much fun hunting leaf cover, and that water gets cold fast as fall approaches.

I think all of us who are primarily cw relic hunters look forward to this soon to be Fall time of year when the snakes and insects slow down. At our age the last thing Mrs. atomicbrh and I want to do is be bitten by a snake miles away from the truck in rough cutover on some old plantation site in the middle of nowhere with no cell service.

Back
Top Bottom