Deep squeaks on the Equinox 800

Are you in horseshoe mode?

So far one person in this thread understands how to cipher the difference between deep iron and deep non-ferrous. Well maybe two.

Yes! I normally don't hunt with the horseshoe on, but I was told to do so at this old resort area and I would never have found my 4 silvers if I didn't. This was a BIG eye opener to me and in the water looking for old, very deep targets, I will do this every time.

If you’re saying the dime was in the bottom of the hole, it’s not realistic. The machine can’t see a dime that far away.

Definitely incorrect, as every coin I found when hunting Friday in waist/chest deep water was more than 12" deep. And I have OBN as my witness.

Definitely incorrect, as every coin I found when hunting Friday in waist/chest deep water was more than 12" deep. And I have OBN as my witness.

I have a dumb question,but how could you see the depth of the coin under the water if the water was chest deep,where you and OBN snorkeling or diving?

:aok::aok: Had OBN with you???? That is something I would like to do someday!!!!

I have a dumb question,but how could you see the depth of the coin under the water if the water was chest deep,where you and OBN snorkeling or diving?

Not dumb! I didn't see it, I know how far down I had to scoop and when I'd step in the hole, it was up to my knee!

What sensitivity are you using? If I use higher than 20 (sometimes 15+-) I will get ghost signals that sound pretty good but cannot be found with PP.

Rusty eroded and bent nails sound sweet like some said above.
(You ever read the story of Gary Drayton digging that gold and emerald ring? In he talks about when to give up or press on, guess which he did?)

Ultimately it is up to each of us decide when to quit. Keep diggin!

Actually I didn't dig any iron at all. There was little to no trash...I dug a couple bathing suit clips as well. When the coins are that deep and form that thick crust on them, it changes the numbers. I wouldn't have believed it either, but the famed Joe Beechnut told me to dig the negative numbers and I'll be damned, he was absolutely right! I ended up with 4 silver coins that day.

I was in waist/chest dep water all day and was very surprised but will be going back!

Interesting about the negative numbers. I always hunt with the horseshoe button engaged.

Lots of good experience and information shared here. Thank you all.

To reiterate and maybe clarify what my original line of questioning was based around, I had a few small bleeps at a site that read high 20’s up to 32 and maxed out the depth meter of the equinox (I realize that depth meter is subjective). Some I had the faint signal only 1 direction but some were 2 directional. The method of digging was as I always do. Dig a plug and check the plug and hole with the detector then pinpointer. In the cases of the subject, I continued to dig deeper if the detector still had the signal and the pinpointer did not.

Finally at around 12” in depth in some cases my pinpointer would go off.

And if you look at the button I posted over the weekend in this thread , one of those deep squeaks paid off. not saying they all will but this one did.

As for why 20 and 40 kHz hit these targets more consistently, perhaps because they are in fact low conductor targets or something on edge. Either way, my way of learning to detect is to study, absorb, ask those more knowledgeable than me , and mostly experiment.

This weekend I hope to get back to that site and dig another of those faint bleeps just to see why. Maybe I won’t learn to give up until I’ve moved a few tons of dirt[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skeptical well my eyes would be rolling by the post by longbow and trash finder as nothing but fairy tales . (TILL) I was hunting in southern Iowa at a fairground mind you i was using a (6 inch coil ctx ) I had a weak signal the cursor was going around in circles at 12.39 to 12.42 depth was maxed out on depth gauge ,took the nox out to check it gave a 28 to 38 both ways 6 inch coil was a long high tone a slur high tone no ramping up and down it was like a iron false just flat . Now i no from air testing i can barley get a hit at 11 1/2 inches machine maxed out .As you know target trace does not fill after 7 inches but this signal for some reason had a solid red cursor .
So i dig a hole to 10 inches and put the pin pointer in and get a nail at the side of the hole okay got fooled again i though .Covered the hole and went to talk to my buddy he had a merc and had just dug 3 indains in a 3 foot circle i had jack at this time. So i ask him if he had a shovel he gives me one i go back and open the hole again to 10 inches but wider i ask him to sweep it he's using a nox with 6 inch coil he says 28 to 38 . So pin pointer back in hole another nail at 10 inches from the other side of the hole i say so that was it but no there's still a target in the hole take out 2 more inches with my trowel and there on the bottom is a 1905 barber dime in very good shape did not fall from the side of the hole when i picked it out there was the impression of the coin.
Out of hole ctx read 12.42 the nox read 23 to 24
My pin pointer was 2 inches below the surface at the coins impression .My ? would be why was the cursor full red and why did both detectors hit this but i seen it and my buddy did to.Well it happen again i don't know . Judging by this coin breaking all the rules solid red cursor and past 8 inches what i though was max for most areas i hunt with the 6 inch coil so this is my fairy tail like George Forman that KO Michael Moore to win the heavy weight title (IT HAPPENED) sube

So NOBODY has EVER filmed the Equinox with a stock coil finding, sweeping and recovering a dime at 11”+ ?? NOBODY? Of ALL the people who have an Equinox and for ALL the time it’s been out…hard to believe. Or is it? Of ALL the forum members here, not ONE can come up with it?
Perhaps I should have “zeroed in” my request to TURF hunters, I am well aware that because of the aeration and lack of mineralization in certain instances that coins can be found deeper at the beach, I know that. Estimating your depth in chest deep water by how deep your scoop is…scientifically inadequate. But that doesn’t count here anyway.
The reality of the situation is this. Coin hunting in “regular average dirt” can be equated to drag racing in a way. In drag racing, the difference in between a 9 second run and an 8.5 second run is HUGE. ENORMOUS. In a similar way, the difference between a 9” dime and an 11” dime is ENORMOUS. Most people will never find a true 11” dime. It’s that hard to do. Finding one in average dirt? With an 11” coil? I want to see it done, LISTEN TO THE RESPONSE and then pick the mind of the operator regarding other things. This is the true reason I want the video.

So NOBODY has EVER filmed the Equinox with a stock coil finding, sweeping and recovering a dime at 11”+ ?? NOBODY? Of ALL the people who have an Equinox and for ALL the time it’s been out…hard to believe. Or is it? Of ALL the forum members here, not ONE can come up with it?
Perhaps I should have “zeroed in” my request to TURF hunters, I am well aware that because of the aeration and lack of mineralization in certain instances that coins can be found deeper at the beach, I know that. Estimating your depth in chest deep water by how deep your scoop is…scientifically inadequate. But that doesn’t count here anyway.
The reality of the situation is this. Coin hunting in “regular average dirt” can be equated to drag racing in a way. In drag racing, the difference in between a 9 second run and an 8.5 second run is HUGE. ENORMOUS. In a similar way, the difference between a 9” dime and an 11” dime is ENORMOUS. Most people will never find a true 11” dime. It’s that hard to do. Finding one in average dirt? With an 11” coil? I want to see it done, LISTEN TO THE RESPONSE and then pick the mind of the operator regarding other things. This is the true reason I want the video.

First you ask for Equinox video proof of anyone detecting, digging and recovering 10 to 14” coins. Next, you scoff at Longbow’s 10” merc photo. Next you are asking for any video proof of an 11” dime but it has to be in turf…………..whatever.

I go detecting almost daily with either an Equinox or a Deus when I’m coin, jewelry or relic hunting. When I am not turf hunting I’m gold prospecting with an Equinox, Deus and a PI. The last thing I want to do is worry about making a video so folks like some of you will believe me when you don’t want to believe me or anyone else has actually dug deep 10”+ coin sized targets with an Equinox in the first place for your own personal reasons.

Having dug many 10”+ coins and Indian Wars era bullets, with an Equinox, I don’t need proof…..

One source for some of you might be Detector Ben’s excellent YouTube videos. Detector Ben is a member of this forum and has been railed against by some of you before. His Nebraska Equinox deep coin finds are usually in the 8 to 10” range so nothing miraculous or satisfying there for you who just have to have your perfect 11”+ dime video. I can tell you from experience that the way the Equinox has responded in the videos for his YouTube channel on 8”+ deep mid to high conductor copper and silver coins are very similar to the responses my Equinox has given me on deeper copper, clad and silver coins. But, you won’t believe that statement so why am I wasting my time writing it?

So if you just want proof keep searching YouTube. Or IDX, start an new topic demanding video proof of the Equinox hitting an 11” dime. If however, you actually want to learn something try some of Ben’s videos.

Personally, I am not going to invest in a GoPro and spend countless hours editing and uploading videos just to prove to you guys that the Unicorn is real. I would rather be detecting.

Also, excellent work completely commandeering the OP’s original post into La La Land.

You must been hauling around a lot of iron by the end of the day if you were digging negative numbers.

If you are a beach hunter you dig a lot of trashy sounding targets deep gold will sound like trash ... I dig anything that gives me a little squeak that is deep I even dig breaks in the threshold, a silent repeatable spot in threshold... many times it turns out to be gold or silver that is very deep...

Beach hunters don't care about digging trash...

I have always dug everything... with a pulse it was part of the game... I do same thing in dirt... I only hunt the woods or private properties I do not hunt parks... I leave all that trash to full time dirt guys :yes:

Although I didn’t see any 11” dimes on Bens videos which I have watched before for kicks, there’s one crucial thing I like about his videos. He is REALISTIC about where his targets are coming from. In fact, during the 200+ hours I put on the pair of my 800’s, it’s the EXACT same set of results I saw. Just NO 11” dimes.

Although I didn’t see any 11” dimes on Bens videos which I have watched before for kicks, there’s one crucial thing I like about his videos. He is REALISTIC about where his targets are coming from. In fact, during the 200+ hours I put on the pair of my 800’s, it’s the EXACT same set of results I saw. Just NO 11” dimes.
My guess IDX is that you have had to have tried the dime at 11"+ yourself many times. And you are calling out the BS of others claims. I would say to all who have questions on target depth : just do it yourself , on your own turf where you hunt. I think there are so many variables when it comes to this. I don't really pay attention to dirt depth on videos as I like to watch more beach/sand videos. But videos/pics can all be faked rather easily. Some better than others. Remember that the guys who do YouTube on the daily have to maintain viewers ! One way or another....

We learn from experience for every location is different.

Great post here! This is the most important part.
Personally I only go after repeatable signals.

If you run your coil over a target too many times you will tend to lose the signal. On a deep one, you're suspecting run your coil in a different area for a few sweeps and then come back to it. If it gets better or more repeatable definitely dig it.

Also if you suspect a deep target, raise the coil a foot or two above the ground and sweep. If you're still hitting the target it's something big. If you lose the signal it's something small.

Not calling out anyone, simply saying a dime at the depths presented are not realistic. I just want to see it because I haven’t seen it. And I want to know how that unburied and natural response sounds. That’s a massive key.
If everyone just “wants to believe” it’s not helping in anybody’s progression as a hunter, mine included.
Somebody just film the damn thing already!

Hey IDX, What mode are you detecting in? Discrimination or Horseshoe mode.

Beachhunt1: said:
Hey IDX, What mode are you detecting in? Discrimination or Horseshoe mode.[/color]
The "Horseshoe" IS a Discriminate mide, simply accepting all the Disc. segments for a motion-based All Metal Accept and w/ o any rejection.

That's different from a true Threshold-based All Metal, non-Discriminating function. Using the 'Horseshoe' is simply a quick-access or shift from a Disc. mode using some amount of segment rejection to no rejection.

Monte

What is also very realistic (after over 3000 hours using 5 different Equinox.....still learning it by the way) about Ben's videos is the way the Equinox responds to the deepest, around 10" mid and high conductors in his hunting area. I get similar responses IF I keep the iron bias as low as possible which is site specific and I work the target. The ground I usually hunt in has much more iron mineralization than Ben's and E-Tracs and CTX's offer no advantage on deep targets here....been there and definitely done that with the CTX which otherwise is a fantastic detector.

If I can get a possible silver target to respond with +20 to +37 numbers in more than one swing direction, even if I get iron responses, and the target appears coin sized after pinpointing it and it pinpoints fairly easily with a low pinpoint tone, I'm digging. The deeper 10"+ mid to high conductive coin/bullet sized non-ferrous targets I have dug have had more iron responses for sure but there are also plenty of clear, unbroken high tone responses.

Back
Top Bottom