• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Return to the Hill

Redwaller

Well, I said I'd go back to the hill I searched the last time, and the site did not disappoint. Well, at first it did, but I went for a third time a couple hours ago and found: A 1911 wheat penny. Kind of whatever but at least it was something. After scraping off the crust on it seen in the picture it's actually very sharp and was lost pretty new. During what I thought was the trip back up the hill to leave, I got a narrow, wobbly high tone, which is about as good as you can hope for at this place. It ground balances so horribly everything reads strange and higher than it should. I expected a coin but was surprised to see a button, and shouted pretty loudly when I saw it was a military button - my first! I'm not exactly an expert, so I'd appreciate knowing what I've found. Any backmarks it might have are covered in the usual tarlike layer everything I find here seems to have and I don't have a good way of getting it off without destroying the button. The last good find of the day was the world's ugliest silver dime. It was covered in this white substance that nothing chemical I tried did a thing to, ended up having to rub it with a pencil eraser to make out the year. 1946.

Attachments

• allthree.jpg
    allthree.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 380
  • generalservice.jpg
    generalservice.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 381
Congratulations on the exceptional hunt! The military button is a fascinating historical relic, and I hope you are able to gather more information on it (sorry I can't be of more help with identification). The 1911 wheatie and silver Roosevelt are great finds, too! :woot:

Great finds, that site really keeps giving!

By my usual standards it's pretty poor but considering it's within sight distance of my dorm I can't be too picky. Every single find here feels like an achievement, it's been picked over by a lot of other students near as I can tell - there are zero good signals, almost no clad at all, but enough history that the place still has a few treasures left in it.

Congratulations on the exceptional hunt! The military button is a fascinating historical relic, and I hope you are able to gather more information on it (sorry I can't be of more help with identification). The 1911 wheatie and silver Roosevelt are great finds, too! :woot:

I'm pretty sure it's civil war era but don't know enough on the subject to be certain, I'll probably repost it in Help to ID My Finds if no one chimes in here.

Congrats on the Rosie and wheat. Nice save on the old military button. Good luck, Mark

Thanks! They're not exactly what I was hoping for (some large cents would be nice) but I can't complain.

Nice group of finds, Red! Like the button. Probably mid 1870s?

Back
Top Bottom