Advice to those considering starting in the metal detecting hobby

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
This is for the person who has no experience in metal detecting on what to buy and how to get started.

Today's modern metal detectors are more like computers (or more exactly modern signal processors). They are very powerful and often complex.

Buying one the best detectors out there, the Minelab Equinox 800 is a real mistake if you have never metal detected. Quite honestly it is too complex for you to learn in addition to learning how to metal detect.

Instead buy the Minelab Vanquish 540 for $379 for a packaged deal.
Why? It is simple to learn and it uses the same Target Id numerical range and tones as the Equinox 800. Use the 540 to learn the theory of metal detecting. The physics behind metal detecting is the same for all detectors for the most part.

Use your 540 for the first year. Once you are proficient (eg finding some good targets on a regular basis) then and only then consider the Equinox 800. But be prepared for a steeper learning curve. But it will be made easier by your year's experience with the Vanquish 540.

I don't really agree with this. The Equinox 800 is not difficult at all to learn on if you simply stick with factory settings and go. The Nox 800 was my first machine and it was very simple to learn on. Like the manual states, for newbies, put it in Park 1, noise cancel and go! I own both the Vanquish 540 and Equinox 800 and yes, I have the ability to tweak a lot more with the Nox, but I don't HAVE to...I can keep it simple and go.

I don't really agree with this. The Equinox 800 is not difficult at all to learn on if you simply stick with factory settings and go. The Nox 800 was my first machine and it was very simple to learn on. Like the manual states, for newbies, put it in Park 1, noise cancel and go! I own both the Vanquish 540 and Equinox 800 and yes, I have the ability to tweak a lot more with the Nox, but I don't HAVE to...I can keep it simple and go.

Good post here. While the Vanquish is still a VERY VERY good machine the Minelab Equinox 800 or 600 is even better. With the settings and setup we do have our customers we make it super simple for them. I go into great detail with our customers about what the settings do and how to adjust them. We make it super easy.

The original posters post is sort of good advice.

However, I do not like the blanket statement that the Equinox 800 is too complex for a beginner. For some beginners the Vanquish 540 might also be too complex. Some beginners might do much better inititially with a Vanquish 440 (only 3 tones to deal with). This is where the blanket statement that the Equinox 800 is too complex for a beginner starts to be fairly dumb. The Equinox 800 and the 600 can be setup as a simple to use 2-tone detector in Park, Field and Beach modes with a few button presses. A dealer or a friend that knows what they are doing or even a beginner that is willing to dig into the online manual, can set up an Equinox 800 in a 3 tone mode that mimics the Vanquish 440 fairly easily too. This adjustability is one reason that the Equinox 800 (and 600) is such a good detector. It can be setup for just about anyone to use who can physically swing it.

The people I personally know who are experienced detector users that have switched from the AT Pro to the Equinox and had trouble adjusting easily were overwhelmed by the audio from the amount of targets that were under the coil using 5 tones. I just showed them how to switch to 2 tones or did the 3 tone adjustment (if they had an 800) begged them to only dig 2 way repeatable targets that had solid audio and numbers which weren't too deep on their first few hunts and they were much less overwhelmed.

For a beginner, using the Equinox in 2 tones or in 5 tones if they can assimilate it, running in default Park 1 or Beach 1 with sensitivity on 15 to 20 and learning how to noise cancel and use the horseshoe button is pretty much all they need for the first 50 hours or so if their ground conditions aren't too complicated. If they are I show them how to run in auto tracking or how to manual ground balance the Equinox.

The only "complicated" standard beginner level function on the Equinox is the somewhat wonky pinpointing procedure. The Vanquish onboard pinpointing procedure and function is much easier to operate.

I've been out of the hobby long enough to re-apply for beginner status.

And I think I'm close to calling a site sponsor about pricing on an Equinox 800. I'm looking forward to learning the features. I've downloaded and read manuals for a few models I'm considering. Just from reading the manual , it doesn't seem like it should be any problem to turn the 800 on, put it in P1 and go. Literally right out of the box. If that's what I want to do?

And really, I think that is what I'll do to start. Use unaltered presets. Then start playing with the different audio options a bit to get a feel for them (coming from an XLT, 50 tone sounds like where I'll end up, but, I'll try the others first). And just run it for awhile without any real tinkering.

I DO LIKE tinkering though. That's gonna have to happen sooner or later, lol!

Honestly, maybe I'm in for an unpleasant surprise. I have read the posts from guys frustrated trying to get used to the 800. I'm optimistic it's not going to be much drama though.

- Dave

Why spend so much on a Minelab ? Best quality detector that is simple to learn is the good ole AT Pro . And with the money you’ll save you will have
enough to buy a nice pinpointer and Raven digger .

Why spend so much on a Minelab ? Best quality detector that is simple to learn is the good ole AT Pro . And with the money you’ll save you will have
enough to buy a nice pinpointer and Raven digger .

For what you get, the Garrett AT Pro is way overpriced compared to other options, like the Apex, Simplex and Vanquish.

There are still reasons to get the AT Pro, but they aren't related to "value."

So for me personally. From a reading about it and trying to make up my mind perspective. Not having ever used either machine. Not experience or first hand knowledge, just my reading of the tea leaves. But - not a real beginner, either, I used a Whites XLT for awhile a long time ago.

Some of my "why", between the ATP and the 800:

- Very small gold nuggets/high frequency options
- Software updateable
- Multi-IQ tech
- Adjustability over simplicity

Just my leanings based on what I could glean from reading without actually using the machines.

Did borrow a new Equinox 800 today though. I think I'm bonding with it rather quickly... Detectors have come a ways since my XLT was the stuff, I think.

- Dave

So for me personally. From a reading about it and trying to make up my mind perspective. Not having ever used either machine. Not experience or first hand knowledge, just my reading of the tea leaves. But - not a real beginner, either, I used a Whites XLT for awhile a long time ago.

- Software updateable
- Multi-IQ tech

Just my leanings based on what I could glean from reading without actually using the machines.

Did borrow a new Equinox 800 today though. I think I'm bonding with it rather quickly... Detectors have come a ways since my XLT was the stuff, I think.

- Dave

The XLT was great for sure. Especially if you went and tweaked the pro option settings. I recently had one again and now that I am familiar better with the controls I turned it into a little hot rod. I sold it only because the aftermarket DD coils cost so much.

Don't worry if you get a newer unit though just the lighter weight factor alone makes them more fun to swing

When I first started I bought an AT Gold and only used it a handful of times before upgrading to an etrac. I was thinking I would be a turf jewelry hunter, but quickly realized I much prefer old coin hunting and wanted a better machine for that purpose.

The multi tones took a bit to get used to, but for settings there was enough helpful info online to get started. I could've bought the etrac from the get go and been good and not have to worry about an upgrade. I still use it and love it for coin hunting.

It's not the same machine as the nox, but I think there are enough similarities that the principle would be the same for my situation. But every person is different and takes to the hobby differently. Just my own story.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

- Software updateable
- Multi-IQ tech

- Dave

I know three people ( I mean actually hunt with them) that switched from an XLT or DFX to an Equinox that were used to using full tones. They had a fairly seamless transition. To really operate an XLT or DFX to its fullest takes some study, practice and a little tweaking. These three people knew their XLTs and DFXs very well. The same goes for the Equinox eventually but it will do just fine in its basic default modes like Park 1 or Beach 1 (for normal saltwater beaches or for saline areas in the Western USA)

probably a good idea to rent a machine for a few days from an equipment rental company and use it for a solid two or three days. then you will get an idea of what you are taking on as a hobby. Sometimes you do very well and other times you may hit a dry spell that may last a while. Then if you are going to stay with it go spend the money on what appeals to you and learn your machine. A person who knows their machine is more successful than someone swinging a ctx that doesnt know the ctx.

The original posters post is sort of good advice.

However, I do not like the blanket statement that the Equinox 800 is too complex for a beginner. For some beginners the Vanquish 540 might also be too complex. Some beginners might do much better inititially with a Vanquish 440 (only 3 tones to deal with). This is where the blanket statement that the Equinox 800 is too complex for a beginner starts to be fairly dumb. The Equinox 800 and the 600 can be setup as a simple to use 2-tone detector in Park, Field and Beach modes with a few button presses. A dealer or a friend that knows what they are doing or even a beginner that is willing to dig into the online manual, can set up an Equinox 800 in a 3 tone mode that mimics the Vanquish 440 fairly easily too. This adjustability is one reason that the Equinox 800 (and 600) is such a good detector. It can be setup for just about anyone to use who can physically swing it.

The people I personally know who are experienced detector users that have switched from the AT Pro to the Equinox and had trouble adjusting easily were overwhelmed by the audio from the amount of targets that were under the coil using 5 tones. I just showed them how to switch to 2 tones or did the 3 tone adjustment (if they had an 800) begged them to only dig 2 way repeatable targets that had solid audio and numbers which weren't too deep on their first few hunts and they were much less overwhelmed.

For a beginner, using the Equinox in 2 tones or in 5 tones if they can assimilate it, running in default Park 1 or Beach 1 with sensitivity on 15 to 20 and learning how to noise cancel and use the horseshoe button is pretty much all they need for the first 50 hours or so if their ground conditions aren't too complicated. If they are I show them how to run in auto tracking or how to manual ground balance the Equinox.

The only "complicated" standard beginner level function on the Equinox is the somewhat wonky pinpointing procedure. The Vanquish onboard pinpointing procedure and function is much easier to operate.

Seems like all the detectors have a curve .just buy a 200-----400 Garrett and be done with it ,NO complications:D:yes:

I don't agree with the OP. I believe you should buy the best machine that fits your budget and what you want to accomplish in the hobby, after doing the research. Then knuckle down and learn it.

If you don't have what it takes to learn any given machine, then you probably don't have what it takes to be successful in this hobby anyway. For the most part, the low hanging fruit are gone in this hobby. It is a hobby of constant learning; machine or other skills.

I got a friend into the hobby a while back. My advice was to get the Equinox 600 because it was current and revolutionary right then, and God forbid he didn't stick with metal detecting, the Nox would sell easy. Besides, I could be of immediate value in helping him since I was basically new to the Equinox.

He was like many here local to the Dallas/Garland area where the Garretts factory resides, he was aiming at getting the AT Pro by default. It wouldn't have been a mistake to have gotten the AT Pro but in the long run I still saw it better to get the newest dog in the hunt with the Equinox. I do admit, going into a Minelab from the start can be a challenge, yet the Equinox isn't quite as confusing as say an Etrac and it's tones. I myself bought them all over time. It's a fun hobby and it's only money. For a total beginner it just seems smart to factor in the resale if you quickly see metal detecting as a bummer. I have had a friend or two who did exactly that, and a closet queen was born.

Back
Top Bottom