Need feed back on Fisher F-70

What are you asking? What it should sell for? How it compares to another set up?

james45: said:
Please need some feedback on the Fisher-F-70.Have 11"coil,5" shooter coil,9.5" x 5" D.D.coil.
Well, here's some 'general' feedback, which is usually just goi9ng to be peoples opinions and in some cased field experience.

I see you registered on Friendly 10 years ago last month and your liste3d information shows you had/have the following:

f-75, cibola, cz-5, detector pro h.h. PI, mxt pro, safari.

You're 'retired' soall this suggests you have ample time to get out and use all the detectors you have owned, and now you ask about the Fisher F-70 with three search coils.

So, you're not 'new-to-the -hobby' nd to best answer your post would be to know what types of detecting you like to do, the conditions you'll face at your chosen sites, and in this just just what purpose or use do you plan for the F-70?

It is sort of a down-graded or little brother of the F-75, and since you have an F-75, I'm curious why you want(ed) an F-70?

Of the models you listed having, do you still have and use them or have you thinned some out? I Is an F-70 unit to take the place of something you have or parted with, and if so, why didn't you like the other model and what interests you about the F-70?

Here's what 'feedback' I CAN share:

• I've been at this great sport for 56½ years, avidly, and have been in numerous metal detecting clubs and started or helped start three of them. I have been hosting Metal Detecting Seminars since '81 and have also been contracted by metal detector dealers to do seminars for them. I started being a dealer in '77, and was a Dealer or Distributor off-and-on until the end of 2013. I have a lot of friends in this hobby, from "entry-level" to very experienced and hunt with many of them every years from or in various states here in the USA. I met a lot of hobbyists when I lived in Utah, many more in the decades I lived in Oregon, and now here in West-Central Texas for six months i am getting to know more new folks.

• Do you know how many of the people I know and hunt with, have met in various detecting clubs, or who have attended a Seminar in the five states I have conducted them, have a Fisher F-70 or the renamed Teknetics Patriot?

-------- ►►► NONE!

• I wondered why about a year ago, especially after visiting with a few Fisher Dealers at their storefront or at a show and they didn't have or carry an F-70. I wondered if it might be of interest to me and I actually considered getting one just to give it a try last year .... HOWEVER

I had a change of mind after I acquired a choice-condition F-75 at a great price with a 5" DD and 5X10ish DD coil. I already had a Teknetics T2 Classic at the time, as well as a couple of other Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, White's, Nokta, Makro, XP and Garrett detectors on-hand to do some evaluations and to take some of them out detecting in very challenging, iron-contaminated ghost towns, homesteads and a couple of former RR depot sites..

I have never cared for the looks of or behavior of the 11" BiAxial coils, or the similar-size 7X11 DD's from Nokta or Makro or others. I AM, however, very fond of smaller-size search coils in the 5" to 6" range for taking on the dense brush, building rubble, and rocky environments of the old sites I enjoy Relic Hunting at. I use smaller-coils most of the time since '68, and i do like a mid-size coil, such as a 5X8 to 5X9½ or a round 7" to possibly 9" for fringe areas of old sites or to work a lot of the more open areas with sporadic trash.

Any detector I evaluated tht could match or better the performance I got using my personal detectors in some tough Iron Nail conditions was something I would consider keeping around. If the detector & coil couldn't keep up, they were gone.

So, for me and my choices of hunt sites most often, the bulk of the detectors fell short in performance. after talling up their results from a half-dozen tough sites. That included all of the Fisher and Teknetics models so since they were gone, I lost interest in trying out an F-70 because it, too, would likely not make the grade.

All of the 5 models / 8 units in my Detector Outfit are very capable urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting devices so I don't need another. I make the cut for anything that can also handle the ferrous-debris places I spend most of my hunt time. That's all I can share because I do not know what applications or site conditions YOU plan to take on or what you are looking for. I do know that of the Fisher & Teknetics products, having owned many through the years, I have enjoyed the 5" DD coils they offer for most of the typical trashy conditions I faced.

I am not sure where the market has been, if there is much of one, for the F-70, but maybe it is just what you're looking for. Let us know what you're using today, where you're hunting, and why the interest in the F-70.

Monte

Well,got rid of f-75 because it was to heavy and the 11x7 coil did not work for me.
Interesting because the f75 uses the same physical design as the T2 and weighs the same. I've owned two or three F75s and numerous T2s over the last 15 years and I have found that design to be one of the best balanced most comfortable detectors to use. However, one reason is because I've never liked that 11" BiAxial coil so I didn't use it more than 15 minutes in all these years. And I also use all my detectors with a good balance and rod length so that the coil stays about 12" to 18" in front of my lead toe. That way, without an extended rod, the detectors balance much better.

I like the 5" coils from Teknetics and Fisher, but not their elliptical coil. The rod-mount 'ears' are to far back from center so it has a imbalance or heavier feel. I do prefer the open-frame NEL Sharpshooter 5X9.5 DD.

Bought a f-5 which i wish I still had,
In my opinion, the F-5 is a better detector in many ways than anything in the current or ore recent Fisher line. I would buy that before an F-75 or F-70.

the f-70 is easy to handle and has good depth and so easy to set up.

I have the 9.5" x 5" coil plus the 5" coil and that's all I need.
I agree that would be two good coils and I figure you have them from your F-7.

This is dumb, but I miss the old Fisher 1266 x with the big coil that detector could hit gold rings and gold chains and all the silver:wow:
The Fisher 1200 series did make a name for itself, and I had a loaner 1266 I used for a bit. It was good for urban Coin Hunting, but they were terrible in iron nails, etc.

I do not see any need for expensive detectors with bells and whistles.
Nope, I don't either. I have a very good Detector Team that serves my needs quite well, and the only 'new' or currently-made model is the Garrett Apex.

True story ,but there was a guy name Steve in another forum that all he had for 20 years was a plain 1266 x detector he lived in Arizona and for years he would only hit the state parks. Every year he made $800---$1000.
The biggest problems I have with my move to Texas are that my poor health is getting the best of me, combined with the fact that I don't have as many high production jewelry places to hunt as I did when I lived in NW Oregon. I moved from there to Eastern Oregon 8 years ago and I miss having so many places that frequently gave up gold and silver jewelry. I sold some pieces to individuals, but all the rest of it was sold to the gold and silver buyers and that usually brought me anywhere from $900 to $1,800 a year on top of my individual jewelry sales.

I usually cashed in the good jewelry and all of my modern clad money between Thanksgiving and the middle of December so that I'd have shopping money. Some for others, and some for new firearms, ammunition, detectors, whatever made me happy.

Monte

Back
Top Bottom