BIG bottle dump!

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
For my area that is. The city is doing a street tearout to replace an old clay pipe that runs to the creek. theyre moving quickly, so I would try and go every evening to metal detect the dirt piles after they replaced each section. Two days ago they dug out the area up to the creek, so I walked in there to see if I could find something with my detector. Towards the creekside I saw broken bottles on the ground near an area that was discolored that indicated there was a trash dump there at one time.

I told my hunting buddy about it, who is an avid bottle collector, and the next evening we went over there to dig bottles. I only found a couple of nice bottles before it got dark, while my buddy found more. We went back this morning and started digging again since the crews said they werent going to go that far until next week. :yes:

We started finding bottles right away, and I found some that I think are quite interesting:

20211008_094838 (2).jpg

20211008_105128 (2).jpg

20211008_151044 (2).jpg

20211008_152739 (2).jpg

20211008_151401 (2).jpg

20211008_161508 (2).jpg

The dump doesnt seem very thick, but it stretches into the side much farther on both sides of the dig. In my opinion my best find was the medicine bottle with part of the label still attached (Id like to preserve it that way). I was also surprised that the PUREX bottle wasnt broken. I first saw the mouth sticking out, and when I dug the soil out around it and saw how big it was, I figured it would be broken. But it was all there! Finding several bullets was also interesting.

Thanks for looking!

Always fun to dig bottles! Nice finds, that partially labeled Sheridan Wyoming druggist is very nice, and historic. That one, and the rectangular cork top pharmacy bottle on the left in the main pic is old too. Rest of them date 1910's-early 1920's. Hope you find more!

Always fun to dig bottles! Nice finds, that partially labeled Sheridan Wyoming druggist is very nice, and historic. That one, and the rectangular cork top pharmacy bottle on the left in the main pic is old too. Rest of them date 1910's-early 1920's. Hope you find more!

Thank you! And thanks for the dates of those bottles. Im still new to the bottle hobby mostly because dumps like these are hard to find. Unfortunately this one will be gone soon, so we need to move fast.

Outstanding. looks like a good spot to dig deeper into. WOLF

Thanks Wolf. We're stretched for time on this dig, and have 3 of us digging now to collect as much as we can. Once they replace the pipe and fill it in, we'll have to go creek side which looks like a challenge. Ill have to check out your Youtube site.

Found a purex bottle like that with cork in it floating in river while fishing. Was work being done on dike. Wounded if they dug it up. Was covered in dirt.

Nice job recovering those bottles!

Thank you.

Crazy the fact that bottle still carries a paper label after all this time.

It was preserved well. Not sure how to clean it without ruining it.

Found a purex bottle like that with cork in it floating in river while fishing. Was work being done on dike. Wounded if they dug it up. Was covered in dirt.

Nice find. I would guess that, or it was stuck in some branches deep in the water, and they freed it.

Interesting project! What can you tell us about the cartridges?

Others have told me that theyre black powder rounds, and probably date to the early 1900s. Ill have to clean off the base with a brass brush to see any other info.

The cartridge reminds me of a .348 Winchester

Thanks.

Dang some real cool glass there! Wish we had some bottle dumps around here - maybe we do…

I just stumbled on this while following and metal detecting the street tearout as they went along. A guy stopped by today, and said there was another one up the creek a bit, but the owner was very possessive about it. He said that he thought the one we were digging in went some yards in each direction.

Back
Top Bottom