What I would like to see changed in the 31" sampson shovel

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
Let me start off by saying I really, really like my sampson T handle shovel. I've dug many, many, many targets with it. However, the blade part is now worn down to 6 1/2" and many times I wish it were longer. I don't remember how long the blade is on new ones, but I think I read they're 7 1/8"? My wish for the lesche sampson would be an 8 1/2" long blade with the same width of the original sampson. Does any other manufacturer make a shovel of that size?

Take a look at the Predator Tools model 55 Barracuda.
https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-55-barracuda

At 5”x9”, the blade is slightly larger than the Sampson and gives you a little more area to put your foot on, yet it’s not as big as something like the Predator Tools Ranger. Perfection IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about using an off the shelf D handled tiling spade? Quite common at any Home building supply stores...Those work quite nicely for all things digging...sharpen up the edges for full effect?

I wish they would make a 28" version of the Sampson! I've even emailed them about it, but it would require a bulk order purchase to get one. Hanging at my side is fine, but my foot constantly kicking the blade is annoying, with every step.

As for box-store shovels, they are !!!!. Thin blades, bad welds, plastic handles. A sampson is 100 times more durable than a chi-com digger, and I can still break a sampson if I get too carried away.

I wish they would make a 28" version of the Sampson! I've even emailed them about it, but it would require a bulk order purchase to get one.

I agree, would be nice if they allowed the customer to select from a few different lengths when ordering. I've taken a cutting wheel and welder to almost every long handled shovel I own so that I can get it to my preferred length.

I wish they would make a 28" version of the Sampson! I've even emailed them about it, but it would require a bulk order purchase to get one. Hanging at my side is fine, but my foot constantly kicking the blade is annoying, with every step.

As for box-store shovels, they are !!!!. Thin blades, bad welds, plastic handles. A sampson is 100 times more durable than a chi-com digger, and I can still break a sampson if I get too carried away.

The Predator Tools Little Eagle comes in at 27 1/2". It's my large-field shovel as I can hang it on my waist and it doesn't slap my ankle while covering lots of ground, sounds like what you are looking for.

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-58-s-little-eagle

The Predator Tools Little Eagle comes in at 27 1/2". It's my large-field shovel as I can hang it on my waist and it doesn't slap my ankle while covering lots of ground, sounds like what you are looking for.

https://www.predatortools.com/collections/shovels/products/model-58-s-little-eagle

OMG you're awesome! Bookmarked that page, although I dondt think I can wait another 7 years for my new sampson to break (thats how long it took my last one). Maybe one of these nights I'll have a few too many beers and just order it! :lol:

OMG you're awesome! Bookmarked that page, although I dondt think I can wait another 7 years for my new sampson to break (thats how long it took my last one). Maybe one of these nights I'll have a few too many beers and just order it! :lol:

Lol. You have enough subs to ask for a review unit. Plus, diggers for detectors are like shoes for women [emoji23]

I had the same issues, went with an Anaconda NX5 and haven't looked back. Bonus is now my feet don't slip off when digging in and racking my ankles when the ground is wet. Sampson has zero traction. Link for informational purposes, many dealers carry it.

https://www.amazon.com/Anaconda-NX-...ocphy=9007872&hvtargid=pla-502338507767&psc=1

Rattle At 5”x9” said:
I've looked at both of those and they look great, but I just can't see spending $100 on a shovel...I know, I know, but I'm a cheapskate at heart.:gettinmoney: If they were even $80 shipped I'd probably break down and buy one. I should have said in the OP that I would like something in the same price range as the sampson.

I've looked at both of those and they look great, but I just can't see spending $100 on a shovel...I know, I know, but I'm a cheapskate at heart.:gettinmoney: If they were even $80 shipped I'd probably break down and buy one. I should have said in the OP that I would like something in the same price range as the sampson.

Same price range as the Sampson doesn't exist. Besides my 40+ hour a week detecting hobby, my only other hobby I dump hours in is reading about detecting, designing detector accessories to 3d print, and shopping accessories. I haven't seen anything in that price range.

The Anaconda is the most solid detecting shovel I've used. If I get 10 years out of it then at $10 a year it's a win.

I can say the Barracuda linked above was the predecessor to the Anaconda ok have now, and I didn't get two years out of it before it was done in. The Anaconda is in its second year and still holding up as the daily driver, and besides some paint off isn't showing signs of wear yet. I haven't even had to sharpen it. Cuts perfect plugs with ease.

One shovel I totally forgot about that you may like is the Root Slayer. I have one as my loaner shovel/backup, it's pretty amazing for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Garde...ns&keywords=root+slayer&psc=1#customerReviews

Thanks Chris! While looking at the root slayer I noticed they make a smaller version call the root slayer nomad...might just try it as it's just the size I've been looking for.

No sir, thank you. I never saw they came out with the Nomad, I just ordered one. My other rootbslayer would have been my daily driver if it was a little less bulky, but the nomad looks like it could take the crown.

No sir, thank you. I never saw they came out with the Nomad, I just ordered one. My other rootbslayer would have been my daily driver if it was a little less bulky, but the nomad looks like it could take the crown.

Funny I ordered the Nomad this very morning from amazon $39.99seemed like a really good deal and had tons of good reviews
and a lifetime Guarantee

Root Slayer Nomad is a lightweight shovel that digs through sod and small roots like they're not there, with its sharpened "Inverted V" cutting blade tip and specially designed root-cutting rip saw teeth, eliminating the need for saws, hatchets, pry-bars, and more.
• Use this handy tool for camping, metal detecting, cleanup around sprinkler heads, weeding, and many other tricky jobs required a sharp, narrow, unbending blade.
• This is one of the best weeding tools for mid-sized to large deeply rooted weeds we’ve ever sold.
• Patented ergonomic Radius Paddle-Handle Grip provides great leverage while reducing hand and wrist stress. Super lightweight solid steel shaft will never bend or break.
• Lifetime Guarantee

https://www.amazon.com/Radius-Garde...s=Radius+Garden+22311,+Root+Slayer+Nomad,+Red

How tall are you? I'm 5'11". Can't kick my blade while in stride.

You wrote:"Hanging at my side is fine, but my foot constantly kicking the blade is annoying, with every step. If you are talking about the 31" Sampson, I have to say, I couldn't kick the blade while walking, with the 31" hanging from my belt carrier, if I tried. Maybe you need a different holster for the 31" Sampson.

As far as the Nomad shovel...it way to long at 39 inches. I would maybe use it in a remote field or woods, away from all public view, but that's not my hunt-place preference. I'm a city hunter 90% of the time.

The 31" Sampson is, IMHO, the best ergonomics in a shovel length digger, considering you hunt any kinds of public property.

How tall are you? I'm 5'11". Can't kick my blade while in stride.

You wrote:"Hanging at my side is fine, but my foot constantly kicking the blade is annoying, with every step. If you are talking about the 31" Sampson, I have to say, I couldn't kick the blade while walking, with the 31" hanging from my belt carrier, if I tried. Maybe you need a different holster for the 31" Sampson.

As far as the Nomad shovel...it way to long at 39 inches. I would maybe use it in a remote field or woods, away from all public view, but that's not my hunt-place preference. I'm a city hunter 90% of the time.

The 31" Sampson is, IMHO, the best ergonomics in a shovel length digger, considering you hunt any kinds of public property.

How does your hang on your belt?

I've used these for years.

Attachments

• IMG_3594.jpg
    IMG_3594.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 662
Back
Top Bottom