Buying a new detector, V3I, Etrac, Blisstool

Rhunter

Hi all:) First post and I know this has been asked several times....!!!!:) I have been looking at the V3I and the Etrac. Looking to see if there is any new users or new info out there regarding these 2 machines. I want to relic, coin, and beach hunt in that order. I live in Va and have watched and read a lot about these two machines. I have never used either one and that's the problem....Hate to spend $1500 and regret it. Any one own both machines or sell one to buy the other? I know this has been hashed out on other forums and I'm still not sure:( ...just hoping for new info ...what would you buy and why? I was looking at the Blisstool V6 ,...I know this is a different machine but I liked it too...Thanks:)

No experience with the Blisstool but as for the other two, I've owned both. Sold the V3i to get the Etrac with no regrets.

Etrac is not the best choice for relic hunting (IMHO) but its an absolute monster for finding deep coins that other machines have missed. Even though it doesn't have a super fast recovery speed, it does have the ability to pick out good targets from iron as long as you keep the bottom portion of your pattern fairly open. Search this forum for threads by khouse to see an example. It really does deserve its "Silver Slayer" nickname. FBS should do great for the beach too.

The V3i is also a very capable detector. Stock D2 coil is known for having issues so be aware of that should you go that route. This machine has preset programs which work just fine, but to really get the most from the detector you'll need to make some adjustments.. V3i has LOTS of settings and can seem overwhelming to a new user, but only a few of them actually effect performance. Many of them are just personal preference.

Out of the box, noise cancel and go, the Etrac will find deeper targets IMHO. However, with a few adjustments the V3i can match it. Overall I think the Etrac is the easier machine to use. Etrac handles EMI much better than the Spectra as well. Again, all just my opinion.

BTW, if the budget is $1500 you could probably pick up a used Etrac for around $750 and a used VX3 or V3i for about the same. A Deus starter package or an ATpro is also in that range. Both of which would compliment the Etrac nicely.

The Etrac gets the slam Dunk ..... it's got a great Proven Track History on your type of hunting...... Relic / Coin / Salt water Beach

good luck on your First Hunt

V3i is a better relic Hunter vs Etrac.

Etrac is a better coin Hunter vs V3i.

I have a Blisstool V6,,,this ain't the detector for a newb to be trying to get into detecting with,,,,its strong suit would be relics in higher mineralized ground,,can be used in mild soil too.

None of what you listed is waterproof,,and I would never recommend taking a non waterproof detector to a salt beach.

Rhunter,
You didn't say what detectors you have.

For relics I'm hearing Technetics T2 Classic is both worthy and cheaper.
Beach hunting,,and relic and coin hunting,,White's MX sport will do both.
At Pro will do all 3 as well.

You can buy multiple detectors that I mention here for price of Etrac or v3i.

Looks like the E-trac over the v3i. Any problems with the mother boards or screen/button issues, screen freezing up with the E-trac. what about coil issues like falsing? I like the thought of having a screen for identifying targets and depth but I don't want no electrical/screen issues.That's one of the reasons I was looking at the blisstool. Thanks for the replies, I do appreciate it.

I don't currently have a detector, just sold my nokta golden sense and looking for a really good machine. I was going to order the blisstool v6 but it didnt work out yet.....then I started looking at the Etrac and V3i and couldn't make up my mind. I see the v3i has coil and bugs in the program but the customer service is great and they fix it. Just worried about buying a machine with bells and whistles. I really like what i have seen with the BT V6 but I have never used any of these machines....hoping to buy something that is dependable and works for a long time.....Share your thoughts and thanks again:)

One thing the Minelab has a rep for is slow repairs, whereas the Whites is quick turnaround. I've heard months mentioned in Minelab. Just sayin...

I am running a Minelab SE and having lots of fun finding deep coins. I also have Whites machines including the V3i. On a fast park hunt, the V3i is faster on recreational detecting. Nothing beats the Minelab for coinshooting for silver though. My V3i has found many silvers but nothing really deep like the Minelab.

I'm not 100% sure, but I listen to Derek & Craig's show (from Blisstool America) and it sounds to me like the Blisstool it is a 1 tone machine, but very deep, and appears to lean towards the relic side.

I still I'll have both and use both, the Etrac believe it or not to me has the higher learning curve. The V3i can get very intimidating for many, but for me it's a simple menu driven command. Print a roadmap for that to simplify that process. It does have features that virtually any detectorist would love to have. The D2 coil hasn't had any issues of late, but not super deep. So the V3i with the customer tones and Vdi system seems to make it easier to identify junk.

The Etrac is probably a little quicker to get deep, but it is definitely a tone machine that you will need to understand the nuances of the sounds. The Etrac seems to false more frequently for me, but I'm still working with the settings. I definitely dig more trash with the Etrac especially in the deeper ranges.

I think it's a personal preference and which ever machine you will buy will be both happy and second guessing yourself at the same time.

Hot on gold

If your serious about beach hunting go V3I
Set up spectrograph for search screen accept all targets from -15 thru +60 and dig everything that straight lines on spectrograph!
The machine is killer on rings!

Etrac is my choice. Been using and abusing mine for the past 5 years. I even leave it in the car just about all year round. No issues with screen glitching. I use it for just about all hunting and trust me, I give others with AT pros/whites/teknetic t2 a run for there money. The Etrac rocks!! Yes it takes some time to get use to and learn what she is saying. And Yes it has a slow processor, but who cares just go low and slow. Two tone works awesome around cellars and farm fields. The only issue I had with mine was after hitting a beach in dead of winter, my coil strain relief must of got some sea water that leached into it and corroded the wire connection in the coil. Very surprised because the coils are 100% water proof. But like I said earlier I beat this thing through all weather conditions. So over time the strain relief could of worked itself open from expand and contraction during the seasons and finally sprang a leak. Either way it was under warranty and Minelab fixed it within a few weeks, brand new coil. It's a great machine, can't go wrong. Another tip is never store the etrac with the coil set in higher position than the control unit because water can roll down the shaft into the unit and cause damage.

V3i is great on salt beaches. It runs 3 frequencies at once and cancels out false signals caused by saltwater. This is a problem for most single frequency machines.
On land it is plenty deep. I have placed in our club's deep hunt every time using the v3i.
Bottom line is you are going to have to learn which ever machine you pick.

Loved my ETRAC and only got rid of it because I got a 3030... it's a silver beast...this was my first 5 months with the ETRAC

2016oct.jpg

jus sayin' :grin:

I wasn't able to get my head around the 50 tone "flutey" sound of the etrac so I'd recommend trying one over some targets first. As soon as the CTX came out I jumped on it and have owned two over the last 3.5 yrs; I dunk mine so I like to have warranty remaining. The CTX has the option of 4 tones, one for a range of non-ferrous targets and another tone for iron; the tone pitch and range (size) is adjustable. I have highly mineralized ground and I believe the CTX gives me the most accurate ID deeper than other units I've owned, especially on silver.

Back
Top Bottom