• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Reminder. Always best to wear quality gloves. Warning... kinda bloody..

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
I always wear gloves when dirt digging, but the fingertips always wear out. I'm left with fingertipless gloves until I get around to buying another pair. Well, today I paid the price. I was digging mid tones and my pinpointer sounded off in the sidewall of the hole I dug. As you can already guess... I ran my finger over the spot and the pull tab got me. You ever think you get a little nick and think nothing of it? Then look down a few minutes later and you're dipping?? Haha. I will be shopping for gloves tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20180118_160500_resized.jpg
    20180118_160500_resized.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 523
  • 20180118_160457_resized.jpg
    20180118_160457_resized.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
If you never wore gloves, that pull tab might not have been able to cause any harm..

The actual dangerous stuff, gloves might not help, they could cause further harm!

<°)))>{

Learning from your lesson and buying new gloves before i go out again! The past two outings, i'd been trying to ignore the fact that two fingertips on my right glove are totally gone...

Ouch, that must've hurt.:( I used to hunt with gloves, but I don't anymore. I feel it's more comfortable to hunt without them, especially if you're searching for a coin in an 8in hole, because it's easier to feel the target without gloves. I've got plenty of bandaids with me, but I haven't needed to use one yet.

Ouch! Man...I've never worn gloves, in my retrieval process with the screwdriver, I have to stick one finger down into each and every hole, to pinch the item with it and the driver......easily 60 or 70k times in the past 8yrs...came close to getting cut from those aluminum screwoffs, with a busted glass neck remnant...Never have though...

Might be something to do with a guy knows he's barehanded and is working by feel...less apt to be as reckless, pretty sure what the target is by the feel of the screwdriver..you can feel glass and whatnot...so you know what you are dealing with.....

If I cut my main digger pointer finger, I'd still have the middle one to get by until it heals...I cannot wear gloves doing this stab/feel retrieve method...

I also hunt beaches and water barefoot in season, real bad idea, but so far, no cuts here either...1000's of miles barefoot with Zero disaster....seeing busted bottle bottoms and whatnot give a guy the shivvers though, make him aware...I think a guy learns to move with purpose... like a Rugby player instead of a fully geared and helmet besconced American Footballer?

Or I'm just extremely Lucky, which I will admit I am...

Thats a really great picture there SW!

Dude! Looks like an a scene from Kill Bill :laughing: just throw a little duct tape on the wound and keep going, works for me :lol: Happy hunting!

Dang man! That sucks! Hope you cleaned it out good. We don't need no flesh eating bacteria taking Stiffy's finger and leaving him with a wiggly nub to scare the kids with when he points! I carry superglue with me to seal small cuts. Hopefully it's your right pointer finger you do your best work with.;)

Dang man! That sucks! Hope you cleaned it out good. We don't need no flesh eating bacteria taking Stiffy's finger and leaving him with a wiggly nub to scare the kids with when he points! I carry superglue with me to seal small cuts. Hopefully it's your right pointer finger you do your best work with.;)

Super Glue for fresh cuts is freaking the best thing! For the readers, You dont squirt Superglue down into a deep bad cut! You dont ever wash it off or dink around....Your focus is to keep the air from getting to it...pinch that slice shut immediately, lay a skiff of cyanoacrylic glue over the top, as fast as you can...then cover with a piece of masking tape for it to set up and bond....Zero infection, back in business, keep hunting......

All you need to have on hand is a small tube of Dollar Store Superglue and some masking tape....Poor old Stiffy wore gloves, pist away his money...got cut regardless, took a pic and in the process let that slice get some air...I bet he loses his arm at the elbow if not the shoulder...

Oh Well, all a guy needs to get by on this Planet is one good arm anyway..SuperGlue and masking tape...about all of Lifes Problems can be solved by the employment of these two items...remember that....

I have been wearing gloves and knee pads since day one. I used to just wear brown cotton gloves but they wore out too fast. Even they helped because another layer to catch sharp objects protects your fingers. Now I wear mechanics gloves that I find on sale at harbor freight. They last a year or more with some sewing now and then. I wouldn't hunt without them.

Stiffwrists,
Yeah, the cut finger, or worse, the possibility of being poked with a junkies needle, is ever present.I hunt a lot of the downtown areas where both broken bottles and needles are somewhat prevalent I hit NPS on the glove sales and pick up a dozen at a time. I like the urethane or nitrile coated nylons/kevlar base. Last batch cost me 59cents each in dozens. I get rid of them as soon as the coating wears thin. Keeps me cleaner, too.
the green ones are too thick and slippery for muddy conditions, but are better protection around broken glass and other sharps.
You'll have time to heal up while last nights snow storm (10" in Sandy) melts off. I'm heading for the sled hills Monday morning.;)

Attachments

• DSCN1648.jpg
    DSCN1648.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 263
Mud ain't foolin about the super glue, although depending on the environment, you might want to disinfect first..

Sometimes I get lazy, and wear gloves, so I don't have to wash my hands lol...

Below freezing is another discussion...

<°)))>{

Yike, SW! I’ve seen less gore on Walking Dead episodes!

I’ve been a glove wearer since day one - won’t hunt without ‘em. I’ve actually gone home to get them when I forgot them once. Granted I wasn’t far from home, but if I was further away, I’d probably seriously consider Googling the nearest HD or Lowe’s store and grabbing a pair. Maybe it’s because I’ve been using them everytime so I don’t know any different, but I don’t feel like they interfere with my ability to pull a target out of a hole. I like Kobalt’s work gloves - nicely armored, and they hold up pretty nicely. I generally buy them snug - almost a size too small - so they’re less bulky and have a more tactile feel.

Attachments

• 1731D7AF-69F3-4CF8-B253-160849D4D709.jpg
    1731D7AF-69F3-4CF8-B253-160849D4D709.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 195
SuperGlue and masking tape...about all of Lifes Problems can be solved by the employment of these two items...remember that....

Superglue and duct tape have been a mainstay in my flight bag for years - I don’t know why I didn’t think of this for my detecting kit! Gonna fix that oversight tomorrow morning! :yes:

If i don't have a band-aid handy, I just fold up some tissue and use some electrical tape which I usually have handy. That's why I wear gloves.

If i don't have a band-aid handy, I just fold up some tissue and use some electrical tape.

Best bandaid ever!

If you don't blead at least once or twice a day, or ever..

You're not trying nearly hard enough at anything.

Gloves are usually optional, buy I now swear by wearing boots when running an auger :D

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20180121_132629.jpg
    IMG_20180121_132629.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20180121_132651.jpg
    IMG_20180121_132651.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 185
Best bandaid ever!

If you don't blead at least once or twice a day, or ever..

You're not trying nearly hard enough at anything.

Gloves are usually optional, buy I now swear by wearing boots when running an auger :D

<°)))>{

Wow!! Did you feel that initial sting and think that you may have hit an artery?

Wow!! Did you feel that initial sting and think that you may have hit an artery?

Actually, yes, I had my wife put plastic down on the floor because I suspected my boot would be filling up... It was one of those, you know you got hit, but can't tell how bad..

I pulled it off a laughed lol, got lucky, rubbed some dirt in it and went ice skating with the kiddos..

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom