Is it worth it to upgrade?

Fool

Im using an older Whites Classid I.D SL that was passed down to me. I am wondering if it is worth buying a newer model like the F5 or similar technology. I havent really used the White a ton lately but its always found stuff in the yard. Im looking to do more searching around old 1700-1800s homesteads and some land with lots of junk iron in the ground.

Times have changed, and so hasn't technology. Those old whites machines are great dont get me wrong, but they make things much easier today. I would take your time, do your research, and pick the machine that best suits YOU and your LOCATION. Good luck out there, and report back with your decision! Happy hunting!

Unless you just want a high end machine dont count out that Classic SL. Those are still decent machines. Great way to learn on and see if what options you want in a new machine.

My first real machines was a Whites IDX Pro. I had lots of fun learning it.

Well, the good thing nowadays is theres plenty of Youtube vids and Forum feedback to help you chose a rig...Its sort of fun to hunt for a machine that fits your personality, AO, target intent, even down to the tones and batts used...

You can read a lot of posts, determine another poster who is involved in the same search focus and AO as you want to do...Pattern your style and gear after what they are using...You have a helpful group here to walk you through the learning process...You dont have to learn all on your own anymore...build your success and enjoyment based upon others that have experimented and settled on a style and rig that does really well.....

You gotta really like to use and trust your rig, have complete confidence in it..that there alone goes a long way to success...

Thanks for the replies this forum does seem full of helpful people. Since I plan on searching through spots littered with junk iron how does this change what type of detector I want? I have a few decent spots to go where I know there are old coins and I like uncovering these. I would like to purchase a new machine so I can share the other one with my kids. I do like the sounds of the F5 and the $350 deal seems like a good investment...

Thanks for the replies this forum does seem full of helpful people. Since I plan on searching through spots littered with junk iron how does this change what type of detector I want?

You want a good machine with a smaller coil for trash. The Garrett AT Pro coupled with a 5x8 Pro coil is a GREAT setup!

Be good for trashy areas AND more open spots where your looking for depth.

Thanks for the replies this forum does seem full of helpful people. Since I plan on searching through spots littered with junk iron how does this change what type of detector I want? I have a few decent spots to go where I know there are old coins and I like uncovering these. I would like to purchase a new machine so I can share the other one with my kids. I do like the sounds of the F5 and the $350 deal seems like a good investment...

Used Garrett AT Pro are going for about $350, maybe another $75 for 5x8 coil. I have 8 coils for my AT Pro. I may sell some coils after testing this Spring. Actually all I've used so far is the stock coil. I got a dime down 7" that IDed as dime on every pass, and a very tilted clad quarter down several inches that gave good ID. Also got a shallow nickel with perfect 52-53 ID, even though is was surrounded by 5 pieces of iron.

The Minelab Equinox 600 for $649 new & Equinox 800 for $899 will likely be the best overall detectors we've seem for under $1K new price, not just detecting deep, but IDing correctly at depth, and getting coins close to trash.
Like the Garrett AT Pro, they can go underwater to 10 feet. But the Equinox 600 can operate on 5, 10, or 15 kHz, or on 5, 10, 15, 20 & 40 kHz at once. The 800 can do same, plus one can select 20 KHz or 40kHz for gold.

Cheaper detectors that impress me: Teknetics Liberator for $219 new, and it is the cheapest detector that I know of that offers manual ground balance. It comes with 7x11 DD coil, same as Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro.

For detectors that are only fixed ground balance, Teknetics Minuteman is on sale for $149 with coupon, same as Eurotek Pro w/8" concentric coil.

The cheapest and newest Teknetics is the Digitek for $129. Detects coins to 8" w/7" concentric coil. They will send you the kid size 20" lower rod version good for people up to 5' 5" unless you change selector to 26.5" lower rod.

To get the coupon discount and free shipping just go to tekneticsdirect.com and pick a participating dealer. Pick one that's on your favorite website.

I had a Fisher F5, got coins down to 4-5" in my moderately mineralized soil.
Think I sold it for $299 & got it cheaper than that. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Used Garrett AT Pro are going for about $350, maybe another $75 for 5x8 coil. I have 8 coils for my AT Pro. I may sell some coils after testing this Spring. Actually all I've used so far is the stock coil. I got a dime down 7" that IDed as dime on every pass, and a very tilted clad quarter down several inches that gave good ID. Also got a shallow nickel with perfect 52-53 ID, even though is was surrounded by 5 pieces of iron.

The AT Pro is hot on nickels for sure. Good relic machine as well!

If you want a new one at best price, the prices you see online are the lowest price that can be advertised. Many dealers will quote you a lower price on phone or by e-mail.

I wouldn't go with the AT pro. Wait and see how the Equinox does. If it flops I'd look at a F75.

Those White's IDs are great machines in iron trash.
Maybe try the small 6" coil on it. Will help it pick targets out of the trash easier.

If you do "upgrade" to a newer machine, don't sell the classic.
You may be surprised once you compare it to something else.

Back
Top Bottom