New or used for first metal detector?

mikethenerd

Hello all,

I've recently become interested in the hobby and am looking to purchase my first metal detector. I'm not in a big hurry, as there will be snow on the ground for at least a couple more months where I live. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying a Tesoro (not sure which model) as my first detector, and I'm wondering if I should buy new or used? Buying a Tesoro new means you get the lifetime warranty so I could see that as a possible advantage, although from what I hear these are pretty reliable machines. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hello all,

I've recently become interested in the hobby and am looking to purchase my first metal detector. I'm not in a big hurry, as there will be snow on the ground for at least a couple more months where I live. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying a Tesoro (not sure which model) as my first detector, and I'm wondering if I should buy new or used? Buying a Tesoro new means you get the lifetime warranty so I could see that as a possible advantage, although from what I hear these are pretty reliable machines. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Buying new or used is up to you, but the Tesoro warranty only covers the original owner. I have 4 tesoros if you count a compadre I bought for my daughter. I recently bought a new mojave and had to send it back in because it was what I thought of as extra noisy...sure enough it needed a new coil which tesoro sent me for free under warranty. So the warranty came in useful for me. My other three tesoros have been trouble free. One other thing you may want to dwell upon is how much you think you're going to like this hobby. If you think you'll like it, you may want to get a detector with more advanced features that you can use as you get more experienced. I started off with a fisher F70 and I'm glad I did because it has enough settings that you can tweak and adjust as much as you want as you get more detecting time in. Or you can just leave it on the factory preset as you get accustomed to it and still make great finds.

Thanks for the replies!

One challenge is that finding a used machine local could be difficult. I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding one of Craigslist would be difficult. For a used machine, I would probably be buying off of ebay, which means having no ability to try it out.

Thanks for the replies!

One challenge is that finding a used machine local could be difficult. I live in the middle of nowhere, so finding one of Craigslist would be difficult. For a used machine, I would probably be buying off of ebay, which means having no ability to try it out.
You'll be better off buying a more-capable used machine than a brand new but less capable unit. An almost sure fire way to do that is to buy a pre-owned machine from one of the forum sponsors (Like BBH). The sponsors often take trade-ins and then meticulously go through the units to ensure they function correctly. They will also disclose everything they find on the machine.
For example: ABC Machine - mfd date was in 2008, screen has scuff marks but no deep scratches or dents, handle cover was replaced with new aftermarket part that looks and feels like original, shaft and locks show signs of wear but do not have cracks and function fine, coil connections do not show any signs of corrosion, and has original box but no manual.

Regardless of (if any) remaining manufacturers warranty, the sponsors usually offer a short return policy too. So you are protected.

Used is a great way to save a few $. Try to find one local so you can fully test it out in person.

I have never had a detector, new or used, that broke to the point that it was unusable. Coil ear snap, shaft wiggle, broken battery door... maybe I have been lucky. Only had to return a coil once. Nice to get new but I would go used if money were a concern.

When I first got in the hobby in 2006 I was deciding between the Radio Shack Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and the Garrett Ace 250. They were both in the same price range at over $200. At the time, Radio Shack was discontinuing selling those detectors (I think all detectors in general) and put it on clearance. At $115, I thought it was a no-brainer and bought the BHD 3300. Within a year it had paid for itself in just the clad alone from the tot-lots and playgrounds that I mainly hunted at that time. It had found me gold items as well, and to this day is the ONLY detector that found gold chains for me - 2 of them! I later bought used machines: a Tesoro Deleon, Fisher CZ-20, Tesoro Sand Shark, and lastly a Minelab Excalibur 1000. I sold the BHD 3300 about 3 years ago for $75 because I had become mainly of a water hunter and it was sitting collecting dust. In addition, many of the tot lots and playgrounds in my area converted away from mulch and sand to rubber soft-tops.( :mad: ) I have found my Tesoro's to be very dependable and their service department I find to be top notch. I share all this because Bounty Hunters, which you can find anywhere, can make a great inexpensive 1st detector and if you get hooked on the hobby you will move on with upgraded and more expensive equipment. Probably one of the biggest things to consider in your choice after budget is whether you prefer detectors that can be programmed or simple turn on and go models which is what Tesoro is known for. ( BTW First Texas makes Fisher, Bounty Hunters and another very good line called Teknetics which you may also want to consider ). Good luck on your decision!

Back
Top Bottom