Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 03:52 PM
Elite Member

Right on, there are alot of misnomers out there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2020, 05:12 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Maint1517 View post
I guess I have REALLY got a lot to learn about coins. I see you guys talking about barbers, toasted copper, wheats,Merckís and others. But I have no idea what they are.
Yeah, the lingo takes a bit of getting used to regarding the detecting slang for old coins..To the uninitiated, It can be quite disconcerting......

For instance, we see these kinds of posts all the time!
"I stabbed a Nice Walker in the park today!"....or.... "I nailed an old Indian Fatty right on the curb strip in front of the bus stop!"..or..."I dug up a 100 year old Barber in a vacant lot!" "I pulled a heavily masked Merc off a baseball field!" "I just bagged my first Stander!" "Today at the Walmart coinstar, I picked up a pretty sweet Rosie!"

Yeah, it takes a while to figure what we are talking about...Metal Detecting is often compared to learning a new language, both on the dirt and on the Forums....it takes a bit of discrimination, sensitivity, and its nice to have a positive threshold sometimes...also a Lesche...Whatever the hell that is...

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:30 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Yeah, the lingo takes a bit of getting used to regarding the detecting slang for old coins..To the uninitiated, It can be quite disconcerting......

For instance, we see these kinds of posts all the time!
"I stabbed a Nice Walker in the park today!"....or.... "I nailed an old Indian Fatty right on the curb strip in front of the bus stop!"..or..."I dug up a 100 year old Barber in a vacant lot!" "I pulled a heavily masked Merc off a baseball field!" "I just bagged my first Stander!" "Today at the Walmart coinstar, I picked up a pretty sweet Rosie!"

Yeah, it takes a while to figure what we are talking about...Metal Detecting is often compared to learning a new language, both on the dirt and on the Forums....it takes a bit of discrimination, sensitivity, and its nice to have a positive threshold sometimes...also a Lesche...Whatever the hell that is...
Nailed it!

Old 08-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Elite Member

I think we've ran this thread into the ground now, I'll be signing off. Good bye.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2020, 09:43 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Does that mean we gotta throw out our 1916 Walker halves? BTW, Barber didnít have the 1916 design, that was Adolph Weinman.
I got that part off Wikipedia because i didn't know the dates lol

Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 PM
Elite Member

And why is an SLQ, a STANDING Liberty Quarter ?

Seems to me, it leaves the SEATED Liberty Quarter out in the cold, with no abbreviation to call its own. What's up with that ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Whites Spectrum XLT E-Series, Spectrum XLT (Rainbow), Garrett Propointer II, Killer Bee Headphones, Wilcox 102 digger, Root Slayer NOMAD digger

Old 08-01-2020, 11:29 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by jimther View post
And why is an SLQ, a STANDING Liberty Quarter ?

Seems to me, it leaves the SEATED Liberty Quarter out in the cold, with no abbreviation to call its own. What's up with that ?
It's because you only find one seated liberty quarter in like a million years, so no abbreviation needed.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:49 PM
Supporter

If you think it is bad here, book a hunting trip to UK. Just try to figure out their slang.

Author of "The Beginnerís Guide to Modern Metal Detecting", 168 pages, (8.5" x 11")with Three Free Bonus Sections on Florida Ocean Beach Hunting and an appendix showing the prices and characteristics of modern entry and mid level metal detectors - $9.50 in PDF format, $24.95 printed.