Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value?

Old 07-31-2020, 08:37 PM
Supporter

Default Unusual Half

I cashed in a bucket of change the other day and then bought all the halves the bank had. A 1971 looks like 40% silver and in very nice condition and is slightly struck off center. I took into a coin shop and he Xrayed it and it shows 44% CU and 56% NI I had two other 71 halves in my pocket and they both read 75% CU and 25% NI a magnet is attracted to this coin. His best guess it that it is a planchment from a foreign most likely the Philippines or Panama He told me that the US mints strike coins for other countries and one of their blanks must have been left in the hopper. I did not know the US mints strike coins for other countries?

Do you think it is worth sending in? I have looked in to two of the grading places and they both require a membership.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:01 PM
Elite Member

The coin shop might be able to send it in for you, usually they have accounts with the grading companies. If you think it is something special, I would get it graded. What did the coin guy say about the value?

☆Oldest Coin FTY:1738 Half Reale☆

Old 07-31-2020, 10:30 PM
Supporter

He said if it was 40% silver the collectors would be interested, but this one not so much. I would ask him to send it in for me but the nearest shop is over 150 miles from me, I kinda live out in the sticks.
I placed a bid on one tonight claiming to be a 1971 that is 40% silver it is not slabbed and it sold for $11.61 There is documentation in coin books of error 71s made of 40% silver that are highly desirable.

Old 08-01-2020, 05:06 AM
Supporter

I also have a ‘71 that I found roll hunting about a decade ago. It appears to be 40% silver because of the rim, there’s no clad “sandwich”. I performed a simple tissue test using a single-ply tissue. The half appeared dark which means non-silver. A 40% silver half appears light colored or whitish.