5th Annual Metal Detecting Day - Galesburg, Illinois

stingray

Elite Member
hey guys, just wanna share this awesome event in May where we can go out and hunt and meet some well-known guys from the Hobby...

i'm not the organizer here just another guy who would like to go and meet fellow Detectorist. it has been circulated in FB to most Metal Detecting Groups but I haven't seen any info here so here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209434161584192&set=gm.305666563183158&type=3&theater

Guests like KG and Ringy, Chicago Ron will be there.

for those who would like to stay overnight. there is a Hotel that gives special rate just for this event - Best Westin Inn but you need to call them for room reservation. rates from $79 and $89/night...accepting until April 15 (i think) or until fully booked.

there is a pre Registration going on that is cheaper than paying during the day of the event. there is also Pot Luck and if you can bring your own dish to share much better!

what a great summer get away to start your hunting season.

Just a post bump but I know a bunch of these guys who are in this club and are organizing this. Great bunch of guys. They're expecting 300-400 detectorists for this whopper. Yes, there is a fee but last time I walked away with enough clad and silver from the hunts to make up for it.

Come on down for a heck of a good day. Remember: Stock coils only (and that's a firm rule).

Dirt Nuke, are they always having this at Galesburg or is it different site/place each year. this is my first attendance and im bringing my family with me. im not that far off from the event.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

hoping this event wont be spoiled by rain tomorrow. right now chances of rain is at 60% in the morning.
the event will continue rain or shine tho as what the organizer said.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Despite a soggy morning it turned out to be a good day. Just over 200 detectorists were there. Shot the breeze with "Diggers" KG (George Wyant) and Ringmaster (Tim Saylor) for a bit, especially George. We got to have a nice chat away from the crowd where we talked about our experiences detecting President Madison's house. Spotted AirForce Mike in the parking lot as I was leaving. Sorry I didn't spot you during the event.

There were loads of raffle prizes. One gentleman walked away with a 3030 as well as another detector. Another person won a week detecting at President Madison's house during an upcoming archaeology expedition. I came up empty on the raffles so if nobody would tell my wife how much I spent on raffle tickets, I'd appreciate it.

The seeded hunts didn't disappoint. All the coins and silver had to be surface finds because the heavy rainfall coupled with regular digging would have destroyed the park grass. A few bad apples left their trash next to a poorly dug holes and a few other scoundrels used non-stock coils that were expressly forbidden. A couple others without detectors invaded the paid seeded hunts. They were kids but their detecting parents knew better.

It must be noted that before I said I thought this was to be the last one. That is incorrect. The lead organizer is stepping aside and future events will be organized by someone else.

When this hunt happens next year you need to make an attempt to attend. We need to have a FMDF meetup next time.

Despite a soggy morning it turned out to be a good day. Just over 200 detectorists were there. Shot the breeze with "Diggers" KG (George Wyant) and Ringmaster (Tim Saylor) for a bit, especially George. We got to have a nice chat away from the crowd where we talked about our experiences detecting President Madison's house. Spotted AirForce Mike in the parking lot as I was leaving. Sorry I didn't spot you during the event.

There were loads of raffle prizes. One gentleman walked away with a 3030 as well as another detector. Another person won a week detecting at President Madison's house during an upcoming archaeology expedition. I came up empty on the raffles so if nobody would tell my wife how much I spent on raffle tickets, I'd appreciate it.

The seeded hunts didn't disappoint. All the coins and silver had to be surface finds because the heavy rainfall coupled with regular digging would have destroyed the park grass. A few bad apples left their trash next to a poorly dug holes and a few other scoundrels used non-stock coils that were expressly forbidden. A couple others without detectors invaded the paid seeded hunts. They were kids but their detecting parents knew better.

It must be noted that before I said I thought this was to be the last one. That is incorrect. The lead organizer is stepping aside and future events will be organized by someone else.

When this hunt happens next year you need to make an attempt to attend. We need to have a FMDF meetup next time.

Dang how did I miss ya? This is my fourth year already going in Sept to hunt with Darwin (the organizer) and some of the other people who help make this happen. This event is another camping event, seeded, two nights and more of a relaxed event and much, much smaller.

Hope to see you next year for sure and we can hang out a bit and chat. :D

Dang how did I miss ya? This is my fourth year already going in Sept to hunt with Darwin (the organizer) and some of the other people who help make this happen. This event is another camping event, seeded, two nights and more of a relaxed event and much, much smaller.

Hope to see you next year for sure and we can hang out a bit and chat. :D

Camp Oakwood I presume. My in-laws live close to there but I haven't gone to this one yet. I'm not much of a camper but I might make an appearance for the day.

perhaps i may had bump with you guys and not knowing it was you from this forum. i was there and i really enjoyed a lot though i miss the morning hunt by just 10min. nothing was left that morning for late comers lol.

no worries, that afternoon i found a token from the morning hunt and i won a water bottle. hahaha...

i won a pouch from the raffle and i like it a lot better than the one i'm using. my buddy from another forum won the Impact Nokta and the jewelry that ChicagoRon donated.

i had a great time. hopefully next year wont be as far as to where i live so i can join again.

here is a short video a made from that day.

https://youtu.be/O3Bx1dyUOE8

Back
Top Bottom