Weird find in flowerbed

Chroma

Elite Member
Hi all,

I was metal detecting in my front flowerbed today and found this object underneath a piece of brick and some papery material (only a couple inches down). It was buried close to foundation of the house. It appears to be a paperweight (about 3.5" x 1.5" and fairly heavy). The text reads:

MELTROL-50 TM
(phenformin HCl)
50mg
timed-disintegration capsules

After some Google searching, Meltrol-50 appears to be a type of diabetes drug. The question is, what is this object doing buried in a flowerbed? My house was built in 1964 (if that is relevant).

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 409
Lol I had to read this. In a nearby town they find cannonballs and some pewter plates from time to time hidden in flowerbeds. There was a revolutionary war battle/skirmish fought in the area.

I believe a paperweight should have some sort of artistic eye appeal. Many objects can hold down some sheets of paper against a mild breeze, but some objects just look good doing that...and some don't. Your paperweight has an unappealing advertisement for a no-fun, nobody-cares pharmaceutical product, prominently molded into the face. The question should be "why wouldn't it end up in the dirt?". My guesses...and these are just optimistic utility-based guesses...are 1) it was used as a weight to hold down a corner of some kind of weed blocking ground cover, and then abandoned, or 2) it was used to tap down a plant stake or a nail/pin to hold down a weed blocking ground cover, and then abandoned, or 3) it was thrown at the house with intention to smash a window, but fortunately missed and bounced off into the flower bed.

it was used as a weight to hold down a corner of some kind of weed blocking ground cover, and then abandoned

The most likely answer, I think. Probably used to weigh something down. I learned that one of the previous owners of the house was a doctor... so I guess he had some pharmaceutical "swag" from drug reps laying around.

My guess is... kids! Maybe a five year old, digging in the dirt. Daddy gave him the paperweight at some point, and he lugs it outside to play "trucks" with it in the garden, and, like nearly all five year olds... he drops it and forgets he ever had it. bingo.
Sage(Can I go out to play now?)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom