• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I'm at a loss which detector I should buy

Swartsy

Let me first say that I don't consider myself a pro but I'm aiming in becoming one. My budget is to spend around $1500 max. I just want the good stuff. I'm going to search on all kinds of terrain (Europe), even though water is not my priority, I do want to have the possibility to search in wet conditions so it should preferably be waterproof as well.

I was almost certain that I wanted to buy a Garrett AT pro, mainly because most websites through google search results said that it's the best overall detector you can find. I don't really believe that. I mean I know it's a very good detector but is it just that they are very strong with marketing that people say it's the best overall detector? So after that I wanted the CTX 3030, but after reading some user reviews, I'm leaning towards a Equinox 800 now, as much people who owned a CTX 3030 and Nox 800 say that the Nox is actually better and cheaper which is a win-win. I'm open for other brands too ofc.

I'm quite at a loss here.
So my question is, If you would have my budget, what metal detector would you buy?

There are alot of good ones. Maybe you should look at which ones have the most customer support and parts available in Europe if that's where you are or will be. I think many here will try to steer you toward Minelab (Australian)...but consider a high end Nokta too. They are based in Turkey and support should be pretty good in Europe.

On You Tube maybe look at videos by "The Dutch Metal Hunters" or "The Metal Detecting Channel" (a British pair). The Dutch guys get alot of GOOD stuff with their Noktas. The British guys compare alot of detectors and also dig up some interesting things. IMHO the Dutch guys are the real pros and really know what they're doing and can often be found using Nokta/Makros.

The Nokta Jeotech starts around $1300 for basic package. Maybe worth a look. Definately rates as the "good stuff".

Last edited:
There are alot of good ones. Maybe you should look at which ones have the most customer support and parts available in Europe if that's where you are or will be. I think many here will try to steer you toward Minelab (Australian)...but consider a high end Nokta too. They are based in Turkey and support should be pretty good in Europe.

On You Tube maybe look at videos by "The Dutch Metal Hunters" or "The Metal Detecting Channel" (a British pair). The Dutch guys get alot of GOOD stuff with their Noktas. The British guys compare alot of detectors and also dig up some interesting things. IMHO the Dutch guys are the real pros and really know what they're doing and can often be found using Nokta/Makros.

The Nokta Jeotech starts around $1300 for basic package. Maybe worth a look. Definately rates as the "good stuff".

Hmm, haven't researched Nokta's yet. I'll research straight away! Thanks for the tip!

Most Google searches for Best Detector that don’t take you to a forum like this are going to be filled with hype, out of date information or manufacturer supported information.

From 2010 to about 2017, the only choice for an affordable, dependable all terrain (except saltwater) detector were the Garrett ATPro or ATGold. Since then multiple all terrain detectors which can handle shallow saltwater submersion have been released that also detect as well or better than the ATPro. Nokta Makro has the Anfibio, Kruzer, Multi Kruzer and Simplex. Minelab has the CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 600 and 800, Quest has its Q60 and Whites produced the MX Sport. Garrett also released the AT Max but once again did not include a saltwater mode.

There may be more from the UK, Germany and Bulgaria that I don’t know about.

If you may be detecting in a lot of iron trash you might want to consider the XP Deus and XP ORX even though they are not fully waterproofed.

Last edited:
So after that I wanted the CTX 3030, but after reading some user reviews, I'm leaning towards a Equinox 800 now, as much people who owned a CTX 3030 and Nox 800 say that the Nox is actually better and cheaper which is a win-win. I'm open for other brands too ofc.

There is no best overall detector. Only what's best for you, and that depends on what you'll be doing with the detector. I own both of the ones you mentioned above. For coinshooting or selective digging, the 3030 is still king of the hill IMHO. If you'll be hunting in thick iron or if you're trying to squeeze out every last find from a heavily hunted spot, can't go wrong with the Equinox. The Nox offers faster recovery speed, lighter weight, hits small low conductors better, hits coins on edge better and is more affordable. The CTX offers better Target ID, Target Trace, superior 2D discrimination and a lot more bells and whistles including a more defined numeric depth meter.

Other options would be the Simplex which is priced very reasonably and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Rumor has it that Nokta will be releasing a SMF detector soon (as in this year), which will be housed in the same shell as the Simplex. XP Deus is great too, but doesn't meet your waterproof requirement.

Yes to the recommendation of Nokta Makro machines. They are much more robust than some of the other recommendations, and priced well below. Fact that they are built and supported in Europe is also a plus.
The Nokta Jeotech is a high end machine, but you may consider the Simplex, at around $290, and see just how good it is (it performs and is built to well above what it costs). When you know what it does, and what you need that it doesn't do, it will serve you as a great 2nd detector or loaner for someone to hunt with you, and you will know much better than you do now, what to buy as your main machine.

In fact, by that time, Nokta Makro may have their recently announced Simultaneous Multi-Frequency detector, which will not be a tweaked up Simplex+, but rather it will be a totally new machine that will be housed in the Simplex-style housing.

Most Google searches for Best Detector that don’t take you to a forum like this are going to be filled with hype, out of date information or manufacturer supported information.

From 2010 to about 2017, the only choice for an affordable, dependable all terrain (except saltwater) detector were the Garrett ATPro or ATGold. Since then multiple all terrain detectors which can handle shallow saltwater submersion have been released that also detect as well or better than the ATPro. Nokta Makro has the Anfibio, Kruzer, Multi Kruzer and Simplex. Minelab has the CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 600 and 800 and Whites produced the MX Sport. Garret also released the AT Max but did not include a saltwater mode.

There my be more from the UK, Germany and Bulgaria that I don’t know about.

If you may be detecting in a lot of iron trash you might want to consider the XP Deus and XP ORX even though they are not fully waterproofed.

Bulgarian metal detectors! What brands?
I have both guns and music equipment from Bulgaria and I've been very impressed with what those people do sometimes. Interestingly, Turkish gun makers are really starting to make a real name for themselves globally too.. Nokta/Makro metal detectors are Turkish and I think the same trend applies.

I've chosen to detect with a Bulgarian made Deep Tech Vista Smart Plus. I've had it for two years now and I'm still impressed. The coils are waterproof, but the brain and battery compartment are not.

Yes to the recommendation of Nokta Makro machines. They are much more robust than some of the other recommendations, and priced well below. Fact that they are built and supported in Europe is also a plus.

The Nokta Jeotech is a high end machine, but you may consider the Simplex, at around $290, and see just how good it is (it performs and is built to well above what it costs). When you know what it does, and what you need that it doesn't do, it will serve you as a great 2nd detector or loaner for someone to hunt with you, and you will know much better than you do now, what to buy as your main machine.

In fact, by that time, Nokta Makro may have their recently announced Simultaneous Multi-Frequency detector, which will not be a tweaked up Simplex+, but rather it will be a totally new machine that will be housed in the Simplex-style housing.

I've checked Nokta out and it does look very promising. Even the Simplex+ can almost compete with the higher class detectors, which is quite amazing for that price to be honest. As a backup detector I'll definitely consider buying this. I'll definitely keep an eye on Nokta.

From 2010 to about 2017, the only choice for an affordable, dependable all terrain (except saltwater) detector were the Garrett ATPro or ATGold. Since then multiple all terrain detectors which can handle shallow saltwater submersion have been released that also detect as well or better than the ATPro. Nokta Makro has the Anfibio, Kruzer, Multi Kruzer and Simplex. Minelab has the CTX 3030, Minelab Equinox 600 and 800, Quest has its Q60 and Whites produced the MX Sport. Garrett also released the AT Max but once again did not include a saltwater mode.

There may be more from the UK, Germany and Bulgaria that I don’t know about.

There's so much choice and differences depending on what one would seek for. I want an all purpose MD that I could take as well to, example, the US if I would go there on vacation and would be able to have the same results as in Europe. I know that what I want, requires multiple detectors. However I just am curious which detector could 'bundle' as much as possible and could be classed as the most all purpose detector one can find at this moment.

There is no best overall detector. Only what's best for you, and that depends on what you'll be doing with the detector. I own both of the ones you mentioned above. For coinshooting or selective digging, the 3030 is still king of the hill IMHO. If you'll be hunting in thick iron or if you're trying to squeeze out every last find from a heavily hunted spot, can't go wrong with the Equinox. The Nox offers faster recovery speed, lighter weight, hits small low conductors better, hits coins on edge better and is more affordable. The CTX offers better Target ID, Target Trace, superior 2D discrimination and a lot more bells and whistles including a more defined numeric depth meter.

Other options would be the Simplex which is priced very reasonably and offers a lot of bang for the buck. Rumor has it that Nokta will be releasing a SMF detector soon (as in this year), which will be housed in the same shell as the Simplex. XP Deus is great too, but doesn't meet your waterproof requirement.

I'm expecting to find more WWII relics than coins here, however I want to focus on both.
Perhaps it's a wise choice to buy the Simplex for now and buy a CTX, Nox 800 or the new Nokta that would come later this year.

I've chosen to detect with a Bulgarian made Deep Tech Vista Smart Plus. I've had it for two years now and I'm still impressed. The coils are waterproof, but the brain and battery compartment are not.

I've looked into that one, however I prefer a screen giving me information next to the tone.

Yeah I've narrowed down which detector I will buy thanks to you guys. I'm going for the Simplex for now as suggested several times here. I was skeptical when you guys suggested a detector of +-$300, especially because my budget allows me to go for the high end ones. But I'm blown away what you will get for 300 bucks compared to an AT Pro for example which is double the price. Amazing! With having the Simplex first, I'm going to wait until the new Nokta is released. I'll make my choice between a CTX 3030, NOX 800 and the newly released Nokta by then. Thank you all for your advice and helping me out. Much appreciated!!

I went with the Equinox over the simplex for the simple reason that I didn't want to upgrade later. The funny thing is that i might buy one eventually anyway just because of the price. Personally if you are willing to learn whatever detector you get it's a win win. I just don't thgink you NEED to spend $1500 to get a good one.

I went with the Equinox over the simplex for the simple reason that I didn't want to upgrade later. The funny thing is that i might buy one eventually anyway just because of the price. Personally if you are willing to learn whatever detector you get it's a win win. I just don't thgink you NEED to spend $1500 to get a good one.

I just ordered the Simplex. My cousin is always going with me and he has a cheap ass Chinese metal detector. I'm planning on giving him the Simplex when, later this year, I go for the big guns. Plus I see it as a test if Nokta is something for me when the newer Nokta will be released this year. I'd say a win-win in my case. :)

As with anything, this is just an opinion... My educated opinion, but it's an opinion. I had a Nokta. It was very nice and very deep, but it only lasted me 6 months before it broke. Took it to the "Nokta Certified" repair shop. They "fixed" it with a Minelab part because Nokta is from Turkey and parts are slow in coming. That only sort of fixed it. The repair was sloppy and cut on and off. I then called Nokta and they sent me a part that I had to install myself. It did not fix it. They then had me send the head unit and they sent me a refurbished head. It was scratched up. It worked for the most part but the pinpoint function did not. Very nice company, and very helpful, but Turkey is a long way away and my machine was down for 4 months due to this issue. Personally, I do not think they have a large enough presence in the US for repairs or accomodating customers.

After that, I got the Nox 800. I can not speak high enough about the Nox. It sounds like it can handle all the areas you want to cover, including water resistance. I am not going to tell you what machine you should get, but I would get the Nox.

I've checked Nokta out and it does look very promising. Even the Simplex+ can almost compete with the higher class detectors, which is quite amazing for that price to be honest. As a backup detector I'll definitely consider buying this. I'll definitely keep an eye on Nokta.

There's so much choice and differences depending on what one would seek for. I want an all purpose MD that I could take as well to, example, the US if I would go there on vacation and would be able to have the same results as in Europe. I know that what I want, requires multiple detectors. However I just am curious which detector could 'bundle' as much as possible and could be classed as the most all purpose detector one can find at this moment.

I'm expecting to find more WWII relics than coins here, however I want to focus on both.
Perhaps it's a wise choice to buy the Simplex for now and buy a CTX, Nox 800 or the new Nokta that would come later this year.

I've looked into that one, however I prefer a screen giving me information next to the tone.

Yeah I've narrowed down which detector I will buy thanks to you guys. I'm going for the Simplex for now as suggested several times here. I was skeptical when you guys suggested a detector of +-$300, especially because my budget allows me to go for the high end ones. But I'm blown away what you will get for 300 bucks compared to an AT Pro for example which is double the price. Amazing! With having the Simplex first, I'm going to wait until the new Nokta is released. I'll make my choice between a CTX 3030, NOX 800 and the newly released Nokta by then. Thank you all for your advice and helping me out. Much appreciated!!

FYI those British guys on YouTube pit the Simplex against the Nox800 with interesting results. I'll try to find the link for you.

http://youtu.be/ei-JrUqE61Q

By the way, maybe check.out Nokta Anfibio Multi? The Simplex's much more capable big brother in the $700-$800 range.

Equinox without a doubt.

Probably gonna get one within a few months.

As with anything, this is just an opinion... My educated opinion, but it's an opinion. I had a Nokta. It was very nice and very deep, but it only lasted me 6 months before it broke. Took it to the "Nokta Certified" repair shop. They "fixed" it with a Minelab part because Nokta is from Turkey and parts are slow in coming. That only sort of fixed it. The repair was sloppy and cut on and off. I then called Nokta and they sent me a part that I had to install myself. It did not fix it. They then had me send the head unit and they sent me a refurbished head. It was scratched up. It worked for the most part but the pinpoint function did not. Very nice company, and very helpful, but Turkey is a long way away and my machine was down for 4 months due to this issue. Personally, I do not think they have a large enough presence in the US for repairs or accomodating customers.

After that, I got the Nox 800. I can not speak high enough about the Nox. It sounds like it can handle all the areas you want to cover, including water resistance. I am not going to tell you what machine you should get, but I would get the Nox.

I'm from The Netherlands so probably if something is broken, it'll be way easier to get a Nokta repaired since Turkey isn't that far away compared to the U.S. All roads seem to lead me to a Nox indeed.

FYI those British guys on YouTube pit the Simplex against the Nox800 with interesting results. I'll try to find the link for you.

By the way, maybe check.out Nokta Anfibio Multi? The Simplex's much more capable big brother in the $700-$800 range.

Yeah, Interesting results indeed. I have seen Dutch reviews as well and they say that the Simplex should cost more based on what you get for it. Tuesday I'm getting it in the mail.

The Anfibio Multi looks good too, but I'm very curious how the multi frequency detector of Nokta that'll be released somewhere this year will be. I'm going to wait for that and then choose between the Nox and Nokta.

Sorry for your bad experience. I'm wondering what went wrong, as Nokta's are built very well, from what I've seen. I don't know why you couldn't get proper service on your Nokta. Your dealer should be able to help you, or if no dealer, then contact the factory service center here in the USA.

Nokta Makro Service Center
Andy O’Neal
120 Black Ave. Chaffee, MO 63740
+1 573 270 0447
[email protected]
www.wedigmetaldetectors.net
or

NOKTA MAKRO SERVICE CENTER
Email: [email protected]
Tel: 706-619-2601
Address: 579 Nashville Street
Ringgold, GA 30736

or

www.DankowskiDetectors.com who most likely would have been able to help with getting your unit repaired.

What exactly were the interesting results? That both machines can find deep iron or shallow copper? It showed that both machines can find big copper coins the size of silver dollars at 3 inches deep. Don't let the shovel fool you. Never trust any video where they dig a 9 inch plug with a shovel only to dig back down the plug 8 inches to retrieve a coin a kid could have found dragging a pin pointer on the ground and acting like they have done something special.

The video did NOTHING for either machine. It didn't show the depth of either (other than on iron), the masking capabilities of either. Or how they really match up against each other. The very same thing could have been accomplished with many kid detectors. Maybe I missed the interesting part.

If you are after Iron and 3 inch coins then definitely don't waste your money on the Nox. get the Simplex Just for the price alone

Back
Top Bottom