• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

It might snow,lets go to the market!

quaidmon

Forum Supporter
Is this just a New Jersey thing?

The weather people on TV say it might snow and everyone goes to the supermarket. Milk, bread, and eggs are sold out. My sister lives in Vermont and asked me about this, I said maybe snow makes people in NJ want French toast. Why do people think they have to stockpile food when the roads will be cleared tomorrow?

Maybe they might think that even if roads are cleared tomorrow that the stuff may be sold out before tomorrow by those not wanting to take a chance :laughing::laughing::laughing:

flurry_alert.jpg

Is this just a New Jersey thing?

The weather people on TV say it might snow and everyone goes to the supermarket. Milk, bread, and eggs are sold out. My sister lives in Vermont and asked me about this, I said maybe snow makes people in NJ want French toast. Why do people think they have to stockpile food when the roads will be cleared tomorrow?

It is all about sensationalism and use of ridiculous terms like "Bomb Cyclone".

If you keep food in your house on a regular basis than why would you need to run screaming to the store if a little snow if coming. I never have less than 2 gallons of milk in the fridge and an extra loaf of bread in the deep freeze. I don't eat or drink any more than normal just because it snows :?::?: Now if I knew for certain I would not be able to get out of the house for a few weeks I may stock up some but otherwise if worst comes to worst I can try figuring out what is in the mystry tupperware dish thats been sitting in back of the fridge since :?::?:

What do you guys do with milk? I keep a little bit around to splash in my coffee, but if I heard of a big storm coming I would hit the beer store...

What do you guys do with milk? I keep a little bit around to splash in my coffee, but if I heard of a big storm coming I would hit the beer store...

:lol: beer and fresh gas for the generator :thumbsup: got to keep that milk fresh in the fridge, beer too but worse case it all goes out into the snow!

I think it is a self perpetuating thing. I believe many folks rush to the store because they think everyone else is going to and they are afraid everything will be wiped out. I don't believe anyone is thinking supplies will be halted from transport in the 2 to 5 inches we are forecast here but many think all the other crazy people will rush to the store anyway. These people then rush to the store to beat the people they think are going to rush to the store and then they become the crazy people who rushed to the store for an inch of snow. They all feel compelled to take home milk, bread and eggs in a triumphant jubilee knowing they have beaten those crazy people who rush to the store for an inch of snow!

This is like folks hording ammo. They hear there might be a shortage so they buy all they can get when they see it, other people do the same and hey, what do you know, there is an ammo shortage...

If the word "snow" is mentioned as a possibility where I live--the supermarket shelves are emptied... Crazy...

Years ago when my daughter was around 8 years old , we were getting a pretty good snow falling by 6-7 at night. I was on the way home, stopped by the grocery store , parking lot was thinning out . I went to the door , a security guard said , " we're closing up, trying to get out of here before it gets bad " , at this point we had maybe 4 inches . I said, " Man, I've just got to get some diaper's for my little girl " , He said, alright , hurry up . So I walked down the diaper isle on to the back of the store and grabbed a case of beer . After paying , and headed for the door, the security guard, looked at my beer and started to say something, before he could , I said , ya"ll didn't have the brand the ole lady uses . He was kind of pissed , but I had beer for the next day .
Oh, and by the way , my daughter quit wearing diapers long before she reached 8 years old . :lol:

This is like folks hording ammo. They hear there might be a shortage so they buy all they can get when they see it, other people do the same and hey, what do you know, there is an ammo shortage...

If you have enough ammo, you can have all the bread and milk you want! I stopped by the Walmart on the way home from work here in the South....total chaos.

Funny thing is, I never hear of the authorities finding corpses in the spring due to a lack of bread and milk.

Personally, if I can't get on the road I Want to have plenty of beer and Doritos on hand
Donuts, too.

I put on the weather channel to check the radar. They have a new word for this snowstorm. I have no idea what megalopolous means. I probably spelled it wrong but even the people that made it up had 2 different spellings.

I must be getting old, because I remember when they just said it was going to snow. In the morning you looked out the window and if the driveway was white you said they were right.

Last edited:
FYI: You can put extra milk in the freezer, just open it prior to freezing, and remove a little to allow for expansion.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-01-17 at 11.25.06 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2018-01-17 at 11.25.06 AM.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 62
They were calling for 1 to 2 inches of snow today :shock:

They closed schools, but up north where I grew up schools would likely have stayed open, but I guess it's for the best down here where people are not used to driving in it too often.

snowman_01_17_2018.jpg

Back
Top Bottom