My other very cool find from 2017!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Here is the story behind my other "Americana" find in 2017, the other was the Wild West Show trick shooting coin target.

This summer, I was hunting parking strips in Missoula, Montana when I saw a property owner come out of his house towards his car parked along the edge of the street. I set down my detector and approached the man to ask permission to detect his yard. I politely explained what I was doing on public property, and told him that I am very respectful of property, that I don't leave holes or make a mess, use a small cloth towel to keep any dirt off the lawn, and I (esp during the summer and fall) always water the lawn and roots where I cut a plug, to ensure no damage to the lawn. (I carry a jug of H2O with me just for that purpose while detecting). The guy was super cool and gave me the OK to do the front lawn, but not to go through the fence into the back as he had a dog back there.

I eagerly starting in on the front yard, and began finding copper memorial pennies, a bit of clad, and some wheat pennies back to the 1920's. The home was built in about 1923, so I had hopes for some of the shiny! I did get a 1920's Mercury dime near the sidewalk, and that felt great. Toward the middle of the yard I got a 49-51 mid tone signal on my AT Pro. I usually chase nickel signals especially if they are a bit lower than the classic "53" I get for a newer Jefferson that is near the surface. I have found that deeper older Buffalo and "V" nickels ring up a bit lower than that 53.

Digging down, I came across a nickel, with the Buffalo animal on the side facing me. I flipped the coin over to get a date, and took a double take! What the??? I flipped the coin back, saw the Buffalo, and then back to the obverse. I must have done this 4-5 times! My mind took a while to compute what I was looking it, as there definitely was not a Native American Indian on the obverse!

Nickel being a very malleable metal, I realized that someone had altered / carved the Indian Head profile into a WW 1 soldier, complete with helmet and collar. The soldier was smoking a cigarette, and there was a thin trail of smoke coming up from that cigarette! So cool! At the time, I didn't realize what I had, so again, did some research on the computer when I got home. Google Image showed me I had a "Hobo Nickel!" Apparently, Buffalo Nickels were by far the favorite choice for hobos riding the rails to shape and carve into other images. A soldier was a fairly common image to be created. I can imaging a hobo in the late 1920's / early 1930's during the Great Depression, working away at this coin, and perhaps trading it for a meal or other some other opportunity! Somehow it was lost in this yard, and thankfully found by me this summer!

Thanks for looking and hope this is of interest!

Attachments

• hobo1.jpg
    hobo1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 476
  • hobo2.jpg
    hobo2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 464
First dug hobo I've ever seen!!

Huge congrats!

Member on here, JB Express carves them, very cool..

<°)))>{

Thank you for those comments! I have it safely displayed in a 2x2 coin holder in an album of my better 2017 finds. Grateful to have gotten the coil over that coin!

There it is! The first dug Hobo Nickel I have ever seen! I KNEW they had to be out there...but Definitely rarer than any gold coin find! Excellent experience write up and pictures on that Beautiful Trophy! Wow...just Wow!

That is amazing!! Never saw a dug one posted. Listen to Mud, that's blatantly rarer than a gold coin!! Not worth as much, but what a trophy!! Congrats to you on a once in a lifetime find, now go find another. So obscure that I never thought about putting on the bucket list. You da man!!!

Awesome find! I have almost broken down and bought one but holding out for bucket find. If I found that hobo, I would carry it for good luck and use it for scale in every dirt photo I took! Nice!

That is just AWSOME!!! I would have been overcome with emotion after digging that, I would have to pack up and go home. The attention to detail by the "hobo" is very artistic! Thanks for sharing:wow2:

Back
Top Bottom