• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Widows Mite?

Scooterjim

Elite Member
This isn't a detecting find, but I thought it was a Widows Mite until reading the coin ring thread. I am under the impression that since the Bible ain't specific any small bronze coin from that era could be considered a Widows Mite. Does anybody know what this is and how old. Thanks
P1090292.JPG

P1090293.jpg

That's a very interesting coin you have there. Cool! :grin: I don't know much about old coins, but here is some information I have about the "widow's mite" referred to in Scripture:

Smaller than our U.S. dime, this Jewish coin had a star on the face that English writers mistakenly thought to be a little bug, hence the English term for it (mite). It was crafted of copper or bronze.

Hope this is helpful in identifying your coin! :thumbsup:

Late (4th-5th century) roman coin. The inscription on the back reads FEL TEMP REPARATIO. I'm not sure what the mint mark reads, and if the other side is toasted, unfortunately, that's where the identification of the emperor would be.

I'm guessing that since it is smaller than a penny, in the books it would either be listed as an AE3/4 or an AE4.

-- Tom

Late (4th-5th century) roman coin. The inscription on the back reads FEL TEMP REPARATIO. I'm not sure what the mint mark reads, and if the other side is toasted, unfortunately, that's where the identification of the emperor would be.

I'm guessing that since it is smaller than a penny, in the books it would either be listed as an AE3/4 or an AE4.

-- Tom

Thank you, I bought it as a Widows Mite from a coin shop that should have known better. I'm not mad, He's the one that will have to explain to St Peter about lying to sell Jesus artifacts.

FEL TEMP REPARATIO or Happy Days Are Here Again, just doesn't seem appropriate to the battle scene.

Back
Top Bottom