Anybody Else Jonesing and Ready But Undecided ??

aaronc

Forum Supporter
Been swinging ATPro for a year,..love it. Just ready to add to arsenal and treat myself to a new machine for christmas,...on this forum reading more hours than I can count. Have considered everything from new or used Tesoros ( they come up frequently in great shape). A used etrac,... supposed best silver shooter and that is my favorite target,..but I do hunt in iron. New F75- read great things and seams to be plenty to learn and grow into, great depth,,and some say holds its own on old silver...and this equinox thing...who knows what it'll be. My gut half way tells me to skip it for now,..let everybody work out the kinks and revisit it next year...even that deal on the f5 looks great...but may be after a little more. Just a lot out there right now..hard choices..
Kinda not looking at the MAX just because I feel it's so very similar to what I have,,

I had my best season, 255 silvers...running a F75 LTD. It was a original one though, not a LTD 2. I run Explorers now which are the forerunners to the Etrac with the same silver performance...and they can be had for $300-$350 or so, sometimes even less for older models. I just fed my Jones by grabbing up another Explorer XS...a used F75 LTD can be found for less than $500...and this is the time of the year when plenty of used machines come up for sale.

I had my best season, 255 silvers...running a F75 LTD. It was a original one though, not a LTD 2. I run Explorers now which are the forerunners to the Etrac with the same silver performance...and they can be had for $300-$350 or so, sometimes even less for older models. I just fed my Jones by grabbing up another Explorer XS...a used F75 LTD can be found for less than $500...and this is the time of the year when plenty of used machines come up for sale.

Thanks Captain,..this is the type of enabling I'm looking for. Good info,..had never really considered the explorer,..only usually hear about the etrac. As far as the f75 series goes,...if that ends up being my final decision it'll be an entirely different thread posted down the road asking for input on the different nuances of each model.
Any big reason you left the f75 for another after having such a big year with it?

Thanks Captain,..this is the type of enabling I'm looking for. Good info,..had never really considered the explorer,..only usually hear about the etrac. As far as the f75 series goes,...if that ends up being my final decision it'll be an entirely different thread posted down the road asking for input on the different nuances of each model.
Any big reason you left the f75 for another after having such a big year with it?
The areas I hunt are polluted with steel crown caps which the F75 loved unfortunately...called them quarters, so did the several early version Omega 8000's I ran for 2 seasons after the LTD. I was also getting into beach hunting at the time, and while I had my best silver day ever with that Fisher, 19 silver coins and 6 pieces of sterling on the beach:shock: it was from hunting the middle of the slope to the top after a summer storm. The machine, like all single frequency units, didn't like being real close to the salt water...after the Omegas I went with a series of Sovereigns and Excals for a couple years, surf and turf hunting with them...then got into the Explorers as they're a little easier to use on land and definitely lighter than a Sovereign wearing a big coil, meter and Sunray probe:lol: You will hardly ever dig a steel crown cap running a BBS or FBS Minelab...

You consider the explorer the better coinshooter,..or are you looking at all around general hunting ?
I have years of equal time using both machines, I get more depth out of the explorer and it's easier to use overall. I really like the smartfind feature. That's my opinion only. I like the etrac too, but I just don't use it much except for backup.

I'm not planning on buying anything soon, but did buy a Tesoro Cibola last august just to have a different backup from the Ace 250. Wanted to try Tesoro, and am enjoying it. Before that, hadn't bought a md since 2012 when I got the AT PRO, which I still really enjoy using. Ace 250 will probably be sold eventually.

Been swinging ATPro for a year,..love it. Just ready to add to arsenal and treat myself to a new machine for christmas,...on this forum reading more hours than I can count. Have considered everything from new or used Tesoros ( they come up frequently in great shape). A used etrac,... supposed best silver shooter and that is my favorite target,..but I do hunt in iron. New F75- read great things and seams to be plenty to learn and grow into, great depth,,and some say holds its own on old silver...and this equinox thing...who knows what it'll be. My gut half way tells me to skip it for now,..let everybody work out the kinks and revisit it next year...even that deal on the f5 looks great...but may be after a little more. Just a lot out there right now..hard choices..
Kinda not looking at the MAX just because I feel it's so very similar to what I have,,

If you want to know many specifics on the Equinox, Steve Herschbach is one of the testers of the Equinox 800 & said in Reno it was properly IDing silver dimes at 7" & 8" when none of the other detectors tried could do it beyond 6"
so a 20%-40% improvement. Separates coins close to trash, is lightweight and doesn't need to be swept very slowly, so it is a major change from what Minelab has previously offered. Can go underwater to 10 feet. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom